Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

... the waiter told us that they are not permitting people to take food from the MDR to their cabin or elsewhere on the ship, especially if it is something that can spoil.

Indeed. The ship we were on last month in Lisbon took a large number of pasteis de Belém onboard and laid them out in the buffet. I smuggled a couple back to my cabin, only for the cabin attendant to throw them away later that day.

As I stated I wanted to give him nothing but my dh said that was disrespectful since he did do several things we asked for. For an 11 day cruise he got way less then we give for a 7 day. I chose to just let my dh give the pittly amount he wanted vs arguing with my dh over it and let it ruin our cruise. But with it was a copy of the complaint card we dropped off at the service desk and then also wrote him up on the online review.

The first time (maybe the 2nd if you want to cut him some slack) you should tell the head waiter or Maitré D' and ask for a different waiter or table. That would have solved your service problem.

It is much easier for a waiter to simply pick up a regular serving (already plated) and it keeps everything flowing nicely...in the galley. Asking for a smaller portion is just as disruptive as asking for a larger portion. Some waiters are more accommodating then others and procedures can vary (a little) depending on the dining room manager and executive chef.

I agree.

I have seen when someone ordered an entree with just the protein and no vegetables that the dish was brought out as normally prepared and the waiter threw the veggies into the trash before serving the plate to the passenger.

I have also seen that sometimes when a passenger wants one scoop of ice cream for dessert instead of the regular two scoops that a dish with two scoops is brought out. Then either the passenger is upset by being served two scoops or the waiter throws away one scoop before serving the remaining scoop to the passenger.

The first time (maybe the 2nd if you want to cut him some slack) you should tell the head waiter or Maitré D' and ask for a different waiter or table. That would have solved your service problem.

As stated we did tell the head waiter...our friends felt he improved slightly but I was already unhappy with him and didnt see it but the majority of the table wanted to stay as our tables location was superb...so I agreed to disagree vs having a fight with dh and friends and ruining the cruise. Dinner was 2 hrs of my day whereas i was with them the rest if the day as well so I dealt with him and reported it so hopefully others dont have to deal with him.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I can't think of any land restaurant, where one orders from a menu, that permits ordering additional entrees at no additional charge. How did that ever become the norm just because one is on a ship? I always thought that people who want multiple entrees, desserts, whatever, would frequent buffets (land or sea) where that is expected.

There are reasons that 33.7% of United States adults were listed as medically obese (BMI of 30 or more) in 2014. Indulging in multiple courses (and usually not a salad course) as a norm is probably one of them.

I will have to say that I'm probably not as up-to-date on the unwritten dining expectations as many here seem to be. I just spent time perusing through both the Princess and Celebrity websites in both their general home section as well as their dining sections. Although they may have in the past touted "all you can eat" at any venue for the price of the cruise, that doesn't seem to be their marketing strategy anymore. And perhaps that change is what is disappointing for many cruise veterans.

What I did find on both sites were many references to "fresh" food and ingredients; much diversity in the type of cuisine; many options on where to dine on the ships; 24 hr. room service and the 24 hr. International Cafe on Princess ships. A newer cruiser might well come away with the perception that they could eat all day long trying out the different venues; but I didn't see anything to lead to the expectation that one could regularly order multiple courses in the main dining rooms. Again, that may have been advertised in the past and has been a long-held expectation by those who have been cruising for years.

As far as your observation that Princess has smaller portions than land-based restaurants, you're probably correct. With a little googling it was easy for me to find multiple articles on how the average food portion at both chain and independent restaurants in the U.S. has dramatically increased in the last 20 years. It is often one of the first things commented on by visitors from many other countries.

I, like you, am at a healthy weight and keep active. At the same time I certainly put myself in the category of occasionally splurging while on vacation or after having had a bad day. But if either you or I were eating that way on a daily basis, we would probably be part of the 33%+ of Americans who are medically obese.

Have you taken the time to let Shaquille O'Neal (31.5 BMI) and Wayne "the Rock" Johnson (34.5 BMI) know that they are medically obese? Who would have thought it ... they look so very health.

So much for the usefulness of BMI ...

dh

Have to admit my thoughts too.

We shared a table on Star Princess with two US couples who regularly ordered two entrees and/or two desserts and there was always food left on their plates at the end of the meal.

I also worked with a guy from across the pond who was known as 'two courses' as he always ordered two entrees or desserts when we went out for dinner and there was always food left.

Maybe it's a British thing, not understanding why people would want to eat two entrees having already had numerous starters? I agree, it does seem odd that people are THAT hungry on a cruise. :confused:

Got to ask - how many people can eat two entrees? If people are just wanting to try the different options may be it is time for Princess to consider having a taster option made up of all the entrees that day.

what a GREAT idea. You should submit that to Princess...along with smaller filet in Crown 8 oz is way too much and it is wasted. Such a shame.

Maybe it's a British thing, not understanding why people would want to eat two entrees having already had numerous starters? I agree, it does seem odd that people are THAT hungry on a cruise. :confused:
I noticed that when traveling abroad portions are adequate and always finished, no waste. Americans can be glutinous at times.

Have you taken the time to let Shaquille O'Neal (31.5 BMI) and Wayne "the Rock" Johnson (34.5 BMI) know that they are medically obese? Who would have thought it ... they look so very health.

So much for the usefulness of BMI ...

dh

Ok then. Let’s look at other methods of assessing weight and fitness. Shaq and Wayne would probably come out well if using skin calipers measurement, a tape measure or hydrostatic weighing ( underwater displacement weighing comparing a person’s normal body weight outside of water to their bodyweight while completely submerged). Somehow I think at least a third of the average cruise ship passengers wouldn’t do well by any of those measurement parameters either.

Indeed. The ship we were on last month in Lisbon took a large number of pasteis de Belém onboard and laid them out in the buffet. I smuggled a couple back to my cabin, only for the cabin attendant to throw them away later that day.

my dad always put things like that in the safe.

I thought it was silly ... but maybe he was right!

I can't believe all this hullabaloo about second entrees and food generally. Have you EVER known anyone going hungry on a cruise?:cool:

Well I have seen posts here claiming there was "nothing eatable" on a ship. So I guess they went hungry or only ate while ashore.:confused:

On ATD at the Crown last March, I was also told that they can only take order for one entree. I jokingly asked what if after finishing, I will go out and ask to be seated again just to take another dinner with the other entree I want. He smiled and said that if I really want another, he can not serve it at the same time. Just another one after finishing the other.

We were on the Crown last March and ordered double entres frequently. No Problem.

Yes, the British are truly a marvelous people: over a thousand years of history and not a single overweight person, nor one single recorded instance of a Britisher ever having seconds (which is all two entrees is; you do realise that, right?).

That would be the end of Princess cruising for us.

Grey

Not on the subject but noticed you have traveled on the SeaBreeze. We were on it in 1991. What a great old ship. Not the floating palaces of today but it had great bones.

I was thinking that very thing when I read your comment! :D

One time it was explained to me they had to take the whole plate of food, not just one of something served. I often want to try something, such as the protein, but I don't want to waste the other food so I don't order something I want to try. I also like to get the fettuccine some nights with something simple like grilled shrimp or grilled chicken. It's been hit or miss over the years.

Our first night, I wanted the fettucine with a piece of salmon, which was on that night's menu. Since the plates just get made up quickly and they don't usually do a "special order" of one thing, our waiter brought my fettucine and the full salmon plate. He put the salmon on my pasta and my Mom checked to see if there were any sides she wanted before he took the plate away. :)

Not on the subject but noticed you have traveled on the SeaBreeze. We were on it in 1991. What a great old ship. Not the floating palaces of today but it had great bones.

Lots of character, a great crew, and the best food we’ve ever had on board any ship. Still miss her!

Grey

Lots of character, a great crew, and the best food we’ve ever had on board any ship. Still miss her!

Grey

We sailed on her 2X - what a pretty dining room with the pastel table cloths.