Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

well, there is going to be 9-10 of us (my family + friend's family) at the table. We cannot isolate my mom just because she eats slowly. :) ;p

We'll simply order dessert long before she is done.

That does present a slight problem. :confused:

You'll just have to have more of everything so she can keep up with the group.

I know it works that way with my wife. She eats so slowly I'm finished with each course & she's only starting- and I eat two appetizers, sometimes three. Although desserts I usually only have two.

My husband and I were on the Crown Baltic Heritage cruise July 8-22 and had Traditional dining in Botticelli, at a table for 10. As time went on, we all made more and more requests to "customize" our meals- it actually became a source of humour between us and our wait staff, but never a problem. That being said, on the final formal night, three of the men wanted to have both lobster tails and Beef Wellington, and our waitress explained that the galley would only let her put in the orders sequentially; she couldn't serve more than 10 main courses for the 10 of us at one time. We were having a festive evening, and were in no hurry, and it was absolutely not a bother for us to wait while the men had their lobster before we all moved on to our main courses. The only time I remember receiving more than one dish at a time was on the final evening when my husband and I chose desserts from the Always Available menu, which we wanted more than the Baked Alaska- but we were served the Baked Alaska as well. I felt a bit guilty about leaving a good part of each dessert (the cheesecake wasn't nearly as good as I remembered) but it wasn't the first time I didn't "clean my plate" - and that certainly wasn't a pre-requisite to being served your next course.

you'd be surprised...

We have a very athletic friend that loves cruising. We go together cruising all the time. He'd alone have 4-5 entrees fully consumed, and then finish whatever we didn't finish. He is not obese at all. Very athletic, plays hockey and does yoga.

My hubby, who doesn't usually eat much, can finish off 2 entrees. Plus appetizers. No, he is not obese. He only does it while cruising 1-2 times a year.

I usually order a couple of entrees and several appetizers, but do not eat veggies/garnish/side dishes - I prefer to eat meat only. I may nibble on the side dish if it looks interesting, and if it's really good and worthy, I'll finish it, but that happens very seldom.

My dad can finish several plates at any buffet, not including dessert. Unfortunately, his voracious appetite caused diabetes, so he can no longer enjoy THAT much food. He is obese.

I don't think my mom will be eating more than 1 or maybe 2 entrees at the most. She is not obese.

P.S. I indicated the obesity status because PP mentioned it and said that, perhaps, only the obese people could finish more than 1 entrée. Not true!

I will very often order two entres. I like to try new dishes on cruises and often will order first one that is totally out of my wheelhouse and figure if I so not like it there is another one waiting that I know I will enjoy. Easier for waitstaff to take order for two than have to make special trip in case I do not like the first one.

We will be on the crown in 46 days with early TD....I certainly hope this does not happen as DH and I will usually get our entrees and if there is something that is interesting we will share it and often times one of us ended up liking it more than our first choice so finished all of that one and then some or most of the other...plus I am sure there is way more food waste on the ship than if we or anyone was to order 2 entrees and not all of both. I am also a petite person and if we were out all day in port didn't stop for snack or lunch I could put away 2 entrees as I don't eat all the veg and I will still have app, salad and or soup and dessert. Like another poster posted it is vacay and I eat very healthy and minimal throughout the year this is my 1 time a year I and my dh for that matter splurge and indulge in yummy food.

My DH often orders 2 entrees and has never had a problem. I would've said, "Okay" to the waiter then quietly gotten up and spoken with the head waiter.

I'm taking my first cruise next month, so please forgive my ignorance. How does one identify the "Head Waiter" from any other waiter? Would the Head Waiter always be present somewhere in the dinning room?

Apparently plenty of people can (eat more than one main entree), if one reads the replies. I think some may order what they know they will like, and then another to "try" something new. It's an opportunity we wouldn't often get in a "normal" dinning out experience. I know it may be wasteful if one or much of both entrees are uneaten and I normally hate waste. However, I HAVE tried something "new" to me in restaurants and then been disappointed (and somewhat hungry) when I discover that I didn't find the new entree to my liking. I hate to be judgmental about someone wanting to splurge or try something new cautiously.

Edited by awesomeblossom
left out a phrase

Clearly it wasn't the servers fault. Think about it... it's no skin off his nose if a passenger orders two entrees, it doesn't come out of his pocket or bottom line. Someone of authority obviously told him this to keep costs down. You complain to the person in charge of the system. Not the poor little waiter just doing his job

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's one of the main reasons we sit at a table for 2. Unless you really enjoy the conversations around the table each evening, it eliminates so many problems. :)

Oh, my. I hadn't considered the speed at which one eats when we selected to dine at a table larger than just ourselves. I thought it would be nice to meet another couple through the dinning experience. We may do a lot of just waiting at dinner. Live and learn, I guess.

I'm taking my first cruise next month, so please forgive my ignorance. How does one identify the "Head Waiter" from any other waiter? Would the Head Waiter always be present somewhere in the dining room?

Uniform is different. Typically, green jacket. Also, you'll see them flying all around the dining room, as opposed to waiters/assistant waiters/junior waiters who concentrate on one section (though they do make plenty of trips to/from the galley).

Think of them as managers, but the typical cruise line org chart holds the "manager" title to folks a little higher in the food chain. Their candor, attitude, and tasks will be a lot more like a manager than a waiter. (I also suspect all of the waiters report to the Maitre D' Hotel and/or Food/Beverage Director, so the head waiters aren't officially managers.)

Uniform is different. Typically, green jacket. Also, you'll see them flying all around the dining room, as opposed to waiters/assistant waiters/junior waiters who concentrate on one section (though they do make plenty of trips to/from the galley).

Think of them as managers, but the typical cruise line org chart holds the "manager" title to folks a little higher in the food chain. Their candor, attitude, and tasks will be a lot more like a manager than a waiter. (I also suspect all of the waiters report to the Maitre D' Hotel and/or Food/Beverage Director, so the head waiters aren't officially managers.)

Chain of Command:

Hotel Officer

Food and Beverage Officer

Maitre 'd Hotel

Head Waiter

(Often waiters move into specialty restaurants on their way to becoming a Head Waiter)

Waiter

Jr. Waiter

I have become friendly with a couple of Maitre 'd Hotels who are the nicest persons.

Because of my request for a special diet, I am in contact with my Head Waiter at almost every dinner. Most are very hard workers who clear tables, set up tables, and do many other jobs to help those in his section. Over the years, I have seen former waiters become head waiters. The screening process is very competitive.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

Have never been refused request. I always order multiple, at least three, entrees, extra appetizers, and several deserts without a problem. I am a big eater.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Oh, my. I hadn't considered the speed at which one eats when we selected to dine at a table larger than just ourselves. I thought it would be nice to meet another couple through the dinning experience. We may do a lot of just waiting at dinner. Live and learn, I guess.

By all means don't give that second thought. Many people love that aspect of cruising & love the conversations that take place.

We use to do that large table many years ago but have gotten over it a while back & today I just appreciate good food and service. It's just not for us any longer.....although if we sat at a large table my wife would be the one to hold everyone from finishing their meals.;)

Yep, I had the exact same issue on Crown in Boticelli with a waiter by the name of Manual on the 6/17 14-day sailing to Norway. I was taken aback as well and felt awkward. I was fuming inside. It had never happen to me before with the 10+ sailings with Princess. My friends and I always ordered something to share if it is interesting. In fact, a lot of times in previous cruises, the waiters would make that suggestion to us. On the second night, he offered to bring out the main entree one at a time but not simultaneously. I put my complaint on the comment form at the end of the cruise.

Hi

I am the original OP and have read the comments with interest particularly the one above.

We had a different waiter to the poster above but we were in the same dining room and were on the Crown from the 29/07 for 14 nights when we were refused an extra entrée to share between four adults.

Given that the only other poster to report a similar problem was also sailing on the Crown earlier this year I do wonder whether this is more than a coincidence.

The experience was certainly not a pleasant one but I knew that we were going to be served by this waiter for the next 14 days . I therefore swallowed my embarrassment rather than ruin this relationship before it had started plus my family hate a scene.

At the risk of being judged again we did also have a similar experience at the Elite Captains Cocktail Party. At a table of ten my friend was in the middle of ordering a drink when a supervisor came over to to waiter taking his order. The supervisor loudly told the waiter not to take the order until all the drinks on the table had been finished. The waiter walked away leaving my friend stunned and all of us embarrassed for him.

(PS to everyone who took this opportunity to judge you are of course correct I am a hugely obese glutton who lives in a hole and has to be rolled around on castors. I love to hear how superior you are surviving as you do on water and fresh air. Thank you again.)

Hi

I am the original OP and have read the comments with interest particularly the one above.

We had a different waiter to the poster above but we were in the same dining room and were on the Crown from the 29/07 for 14 nights when we were refused an extra entrée to share between four adults.

Given that the only other poster to report a similar problem was also sailing on the Crown earlier this year I do wonder whether this is more than a coincidence.

The experience was certainly not a pleasant one but I knew that we were going to be served by this waiter for the next 14 days . I therefore swallowed my embarrassment rather than ruin this relationship before it had started plus my family hate a scene.

At the risk of being judged again we did also have a similar experience at the Elite Captains Cocktail Party. At a table of ten my friend was in the middle of ordering a drink when a supervisor came over to to waiter taking his order. The supervisor loudly told the waiter not to take the order until all the drinks on the table had been finished. The waiter walked away leaving my friend stunned and all of us embarrassed for him.

(PS to everyone who took this opportunity to judge you are of course correct I am a hugely obese glutton who lives in a hole and has to be rolled around on castors. I love to hear how superior you are surviving as you do on water and fresh air. Thank you again.)

Hahahahaha well said

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't think of any land restaurant, where one orders from a menu, that permits ordering additional entrees at no additional charge. How did that ever become the norm just because one is on a ship? I always thought that people who want multiple entrees, desserts, whatever, would frequent buffets (land or sea) where that is expected.

There are reasons that 33.7% of United States adults were listed as medically obese (BMI of 30 or more) in 2014. Indulging in multiple courses (and usually not a salad course) as a norm is probably one of them.

Hi

Strange indeed. :confused:

Did the waiter give you an opportunity to pay for another main course?

I can't think of any land restaurant, where one orders from a menu, that permits ordering additional entrees at no additional charge. How did that ever become the norm just because one is on a ship? I always thought that people who want multiple entrees, desserts, whatever, would frequent buffets (land or sea) where that is expected.

There are reasons that 33.7% of United States adults were listed as medically obese (BMI of 30 or more) in 2014. Indulging in multiple courses (and usually not a salad course) as a norm is probably one of them.

Hi Stumptowngal

I am the original poster and in case you missed my previous comment I wanted to thank you for taking the time to judge me.

I can confirm that I am indeed a gross enormous troll and can only thank you for your life changing insight into the error of my ways.

I shall of course follow your advice and henceforth only frequent these buffets you mention. Lugging my huge hideous frame around the food counters will at least provide me with some much needed exercise.

Thank you again for your kind and thoughtful comments.

Cruise lines are not a land based restaurant and touts all you can eat food 24/7. I will have you know that I am 5 foot 2 roughly 125lb female so I am by no means obese and I will order an app and a soup and/or salad and an entrée and if I see an entrée I think I may like but not sure as I am a picky eater I will ask for it as well and ask for just the item I would like to try, but have been told entire entrée needs to be brought out..ok so be it. Granted yes obesity is a problem but for people to make blanket statement like that really irritates me. I eat healthy and workout 6 days a week and most of my meals are either grilled chicken and salad or some fish with salad or brown rice so when I am on vacation I do tend to eat items I normally wouldn't and use this time to splurge in desserts or entrees I normally would not have or make for myself...plus it is not like the entrees are heaped on the plates. Land based restaurants to me have way more portion on their entrees than I see on princess ship.

I can't think of any land restaurant, where one orders from a menu, that permits ordering additional entrees at no additional charge.

Most land resturants don't expect you to share a table with strangers.

(except durgin park, and probably a few others)

Most land resturants don't expect you to share a table with strangers.

(except durgin park, and probably a few others)

AND... Most land restaurants don't require you to pay in full 70 days in advance for a dinning experience that is "menu and selections unseen before purchase"

Srpilo

Cruise lines are not a land based restaurant and touts all you can eat food 24/7. I will have you know that I am 5 foot 2 roughly 125lb female so I am by no means obese and I will order an app and a soup and/or salad and an entrée and if I see an entrée I think I may like but not sure as I am a picky eater I will ask for it as well and ask for just the item I would like to try, but have been told entire entrée needs to be brought out..ok so be it. Granted yes obesity is a problem but for people to make blanket statement like that really irritates me. I eat healthy and workout 6 days a week and most of my meals are either grilled chicken and salad or some fish with salad or brown rice so when I am on vacation I do tend to eat items I normally wouldn't and use this time to splurge in desserts or entrees I normally would not have or make for myself...plus it is not like the entrees are heaped on the plates. Land based restaurants to me have way more portion on their entrees than I see on princess ship.

Very well said

Yep, I had the exact same issue on Crown in Boticelli with a waiter by the name of Manual on the 6/17 14-day sailing to Norway. I was taken aback as well and felt awkward. I was fuming inside. It had never happen to me before with the 10+ sailings with Princess. My friends and I always ordered something to share if it is interesting. In fact, a lot of times in previous cruises, the waiters would make that suggestion to us. On the second night, he offered to bring out the main entree one at a time but not simultaneously. I put my complaint on the comment form at the end of the cruise.

Hi

I had the impression that the refusal of second entree to share thing was from the head-waiter, or even higher up on the food chain on that Crown Princess. During the course of the cruise, I witnessed a few chaotic scene, including collision of waiters with stack of plates on their hands in the dining room. They just seemed to me not a happy bunch. I did not want to risk my food safety for the rest of my 14-day cruise by complaining for not getting a second entree. It wasn't so much about our request not being fulfilled, but it was about how they managed to embarrass the customers and total lack of customer service. I almost wanted to take out the automatic gratuity and just tipped my cabin steward instead. At the end, I didn't - figured their life on the ship is harder than mine...

Hi

Me and the supervisor's boss would have had an interesting conversation right after he made that remark.

Quite common up our way, especially sushi type restaurants. You get a menu and keep ordering until you are done.

While consumption quantities can contribute to being overweight more significant contributors are very poor nutrition and irregular eating habits.

On cruises some people like to try dishes they have never had before knowing they can order something if need be.