Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

I really wonder what would happen if you didn't like the entree that was ordered. Would they refuse serving another? :o

This whole subject seems puzzling since limiting food in the DR doesn't really cut costs in the least since people who are still hungry can go through the anytime DR again for another seating or go to the buffet.

So where are the savings? :confused:

I don't think this is the point. From what I am reading, this policy is in response to people ordering more than they can eat and the cruise line sees a lot of food that is wasted. People have noted that you can order a second entree once you've finished your first meal. It is probably just for those that order more than one entree and want them served simultaneously and then not finishing either as they ordered more than they can eat. It's most likely a cost saving measure in the long run as I believe some people cancel that second order when they are satiated rather than having it on the table untouched.

We just got off the Crown in late September, never a problem, even on lobster night. I am not a big eater, very seldom I double entree, but lobster, I would, she made it into a steak & lobster for me, with a big smile!!

Frank & Annette using CC Forums mobile app

Got off the Regal October 7. In the MDR Concerto, they allowed just one FREE entre, if you wanted more, it was $10. Might also mention that the amounts of food were very, very small. Make sure you order appetizer, soup/salad, entre and dessert! What we got was very good though.

That would be shocking if it's implemented fleet-wide.

I was just on the Crown did not have any issue with extra main and I ordered Lobster however there were several complaints from guests regarding dining and said it was only on the Crown I sell Princess and am not aware of any new dining policy that limits food

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had all sorts of problems on Crown, and only on Crown out of all Princess ships, we will NOT sail on her again ever after the Spring 2017 Transatlantic.

I hope this doesn't become an issue for our upcoming Sapphire cruise. We have cruised 4 times previously with different lines and, whilst I don't do it often, I have asked for 2 mains/entrees. One that I know I will like and another that my wife and I think sounds interesting and that we would like to try.

To be honest, on each occasion we had no problems eating the extra meal (they really aren't that big). Whilst it doesn't happen often, it would be a shame to not have it as an option.

I find it astonishing the number of people on this forum that think its OK to judge what other people eat or drink. None of their damned business what other people do. If you can only handle 3/4/5 drinks a day or one meal then that's your business. If someone else can drink 20 a day and eat 6 main meals then that's their business (I personally could do neither of these, but I don't criticize those that can).

Food and beverage police - Jeez.

I don't think this is the point. From what I am reading, this policy is in response to people ordering more than they can eat and the cruise line sees a lot of food that is wasted. People have noted that you can order a second entree once you've finished your first meal. It is probably just for those that order more than one entree and want them served simultaneously and then not finishing either as they ordered more than they can eat. It's most likely a cost saving measure in the long run as I believe some people cancel that second order when they are satiated rather than having it on the table untouched.

That does sound more logical. I've never been refused additional items although it's been quite a while sine I've ordered more than 1 main course.

You should have asked to speak to the Head Waiter or the Maitré D'!!

DH wanted to order the spaghetti & meatballs for lunch on one of our cruises, the waiter refused because he "isn't a kid".

We spoke with the Head Waiter, he chewed out the waiter and DH got his spaghetti. The Maitré D' came by and apologized, the Head Waiter apologized and the waiter made it a point to kiss our a@# every time he saw us. And he saw us a lot. We were in TD and his tables were next to our table.;p AND we were on the ship for 34 days.:D

I once ordered the spaghetti & meatballs off the children's menu as an appetizer and it was very good.

The best item on the children's menu is the volcano for desert.

Wait till my three grandkids see this beginning Thursday.

36436570016_6d50621a88_k.jpgVolcano on the Children's menu by Howard , on Flickr

Instead of asking to go to Friendly's for ice cream they will probably ask for another cruise.

Howard

Got off the Regal October 7. In the MDR Concerto, they allowed just one FREE entre, if you wanted more, it was $10. Might also mention that the amounts of food were very, very small. Make sure you order appetizer, soup/salad, entre and dessert! What we got was very good though.

it's hard to believe. Was it traditional or Any time dining? Did you have the same waiter? did everyone else around you have the same problem?

I go on a cruise specifically to try 2-3 different entrees per dinner, and it all must be included in the cruise payment. We've never had any problems with that before.

it's hard to believe. Was it traditional or Any time dining? Did you have the same waiter? did everyone else around you have the same problem?

I go on a cruise specifically to try 2-3 different entrees per dinner, and it all must be included in the cruise payment. We've never had any problems with that before.

I have to ask and am not judging. Do you order 2-3 smaller portions of each entree or 2-3 full portions of each entree?

I have to ask and am not judging. Do you order 2-3 smaller portions of each entree or 2-3 full portions of each entree?

Full. I usually get no more than 2 entrees, and if I really want a 3rd one, my hubs orders it and shares it with me. I usually finish both entrees, unless I hate the food. There were only a handful of times I had to send the food away. Most notably, inedible pasta alfredo on our Caribbean princess last year.

I can eat a lot. The entrees are in addition to the appetizers.

But I only order what I really-really want. Sometimes there are no entrees that I think I'd like, but there is a ton of appetizers that I know I'd love, so I don't get any entrees. I don't like to waste food (I have a special relationship with it).

Full. I usually get no more than 2 entrees, and if I really want a 3rd one, my hubs orders it and shares it with me. I usually finish both entrees, unless I hate the food. There were only a handful of times I had to send the food away. Most notably, inedible pasta alfredo on our Caribbean princess last year.

I can eat a lot. The entrees are in addition to the appetizers.

But I only order what I really-really want. Sometimes there are no entrees that I think I'd like, but there is a ton of appetizers that I know I'd love, so I don't get any entrees. I don't like to waste food (I have a special relationship with it).

2 to 3 entrees ! :eek:

What about the appetizers, soup, salad? :confused:

I'm thinking a lot of it is only to try a taste.

Maybe you should stick to the buffet & you can sample everything.

I did not have any problems ordering two entrees on the Caribbean Princess on our cruise in August. The only time I did it was on the second formal night--beef wellington and lobster. A couple of our tablemates ordered more than one on other nights without any problems.

I surprised them by ordering the volcano for dessert one night. Even though they were among the top 40 passengers, they did not realize they could order from the children's menu.

Well, since I see this is still page one...

Beef Welllington AND Lobster... YUMMMM!!!!

We had quite the opposite problem on the Coral Princess.

The Buffet seemed to be really bad. We ate in the MDR every night. The food and service there were excellent!!!!

Anyhow, the two of us would want to, for example, split a soup, or a dessert. I just can't eat that much!!!!

Our waitor would be like 'what??? order whatever you want.... why cut back or share!"

I would just go "OHHHHHHHH" and hold my poor tummy.... and say 'too much good food!!!!"

We are going to assume that many have never been in the galley, especially when they are serving dinner. The waiters have to go to different stations to pick up each type of dish. The cooks/servers are quickly plating hundreds of servings and they are all on a line and plated in an identical manner. If a waiter wants to get anything modified, he/she has to slow down the process to make a special request and the server/cooks have to slow down things while they meet the special request. Multiply this by dozens of waiters moving through the galley at the same time, and you can quickly see the problem. There is a reason why Princess is a "mass market" cruise line....in that they are truly serving large masses :).

It is much easier for a waiter to simply pick up a regular serving (already plated) and it keeps everything flowing nicely...in the galley. Asking for a smaller portion is just as disruptive as asking for a larger portion. Some waiters are more accommodating then others and procedures can vary (a little) depending on the dining room manager and executive chef.

If we wanted two entrees, and were refused, we would politely ask to immediately speak with the Maitre'd. It is unlikely that a Maitre'd is gong to ever say "No" even if it goes contrary to a basic policy. As passengers, we have no idea what kind of internal pressure is put on the waiters to keep things moving and follow certain rules. If and when you need an exception, simply elevate the issue to management. That is also a good time to smile, say thank you, and add that you think the policy sucks!

Hank

This, if true, is quite a dramatic change in policy that will upset many people, I imagine (I don't think I've ever ordered more than one entree, but I believe we have ordered "one for the table to share" of an intriguing dish). I will be on Regal in 12 days. I will ask and report back.

2 to 3 entrees ! :eek:

What about the appetizers, soup, salad? :confused:

I'm thinking a lot of it is only to try a taste.

Maybe you should stick to the buffet & you can sample everything.

thanks for the judgment. The buffet doesn't have all the seafood entrees that I usually go for. Maybe, you should take your opinion and keep it to yourself.

And no, I don't eat salad on the cruise.

thanks for the judgment. The buffet doesn't have all the seafood entrees that I usually go for. Maybe, you should take your opinion and keep it to yourself.

You're welcomed. :cool:

If you post on a cruise bulletin board you have to accept opinions from all sides.

Buffet are great for people who like to eat a lot. ;)

At the risk of getting flamed, I will repeat the same thing I mentioned on the thread about the extra charge for the specialty restaurants. I would be more than happy to pay the additional costs associated with items I choose as a consumer... rather than have cruise prices go up overall because I choose to have more or better. Along the same vein, if someone else wants more or better ... I don't want to have to pay for that either (in the form of higher cruise prices). If I want a balcony over an inside room, I am willing to pay more. If I want Grey Goose in my martini instead of the house brand, or a cappuccino instead of brewed coffee, I am willing to pay more. If I want to eat in a specialty restaurant instead of the buffet or MDR, I am willing to pay more. If I want an extra entree served to me, I am willing to pay more.

However, even with that being said, I don't think Princess will stick with this policy for too long after reading / hearing these complaints. Celebrity recently attempted to roll out a 'better burger' up by the pool for a charge of $10. That went over so horribly with their passengers that was quickly retracted. But, they will make their money somehow so it will most likely be in the form of higher cruise prices overall....all while still trying to remain competitive. Princess just recently instituted a 15 alcoholic drink limit for the AIBP ...raised the prices and now call it the Premier Beverage Package (or something like that). There was a post that commented that one way or another, including tossing their drinks, that he/she was going to make sure they ordered their limit every single day....that'll teach them alright!! Doesn't that behavior just support why the cruise lines are instituting these higher prices and extra charges for these discretionary onboard items?

Maybe it all evens out in the end ... who knows?? Princess looks as though they are attempting to figure it out, though ... higher profits (and why shouldn't they? they are a business, after all), more efficiency and less waste. They haven't scared me off with any of their policies as of yet.

I usually order Pasta as a third course before the entree. I have noticed pastas listed as an entree. So would I have a problem getting pasta before.

Pasta used to be listed as s separate course

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a difference between offering information, or offering a differing opinion, and issuing judgment.

Def. some judgement going on here.

This is a cruise, and in my opinion, food that is on offer, except for the 'extra charge' restaurants should be available.

Why should one be able to pile up three or four entrees at the Buffet, and not try, or indulge in, an extra course in the MDR????

Which entrees, or how much of different entrees, that another person chooses to enjoy is simply none of anyone else's business.

Different toppings! Seems to depend on who makes it, and which toppings are handy at the time???

oh so it is just ice cream! Sweet as I don't care for the bananas...I wanted just the ice cream. There was another one I thought I heard about it was an ice cream sandwich, 2 cookies and vanilla ice cream...I totally forgot about ordering those when we were just on the cruise......darn it!

Don't worry about justifying yourself. Some people are just so judgy (and on a regular basis), and will put out their opinions about you no matter what. Just ignore them and do what makes you happy.