Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

Last month on the Crown for 14 days I often ordered two main dishes and never a problem just that the waitstaff would wait for me to be done with the first before bringing the second.

Perhaps the waiter was confusing himself with the owner of Princess cruise lines.

When I order two entrees, I want them at the same time. I may not finish both but I want to try both. After 38 cruises, I have never been told I couldn't have more than on entree.

Got to ask - how many people can eat two entrees? If people are just wanting to try the different options may be it is time for Princess to consider having a taster option made up of all the entrees that day.

Have to admit my thoughts too.

We shared a table on Star Princess with two US couples who regularly ordered two entrees and/or two desserts and there was always food left on their plates at the end of the meal.

I also worked with a guy from across the pond who was known as 'two courses' as he always ordered two entrees or desserts when we went out for dinner and there was always food left.

Edited by goodsailors

I've never heard of this being a rule before either. We're getting on the Caribbean Princess tomorrow. I frequently will order an appetizer size portion of one entrée along with another. Sometimes they listen and will give me just that. Other times I end up getting two full size orders. I guess I'll find out soon enough if this was just a glitch with one particular waiter on the first night of a cruise or if it's something happening throughout. If it had happened to me, I would have asked a head waiter or the maître d' if it truly was a new policy or not.

If you get a chance could you post if this is true? We're on the Sept. 10 sailing, and we'll be disappointed if there's a new policy.

Maybe it was the same waiter we had on the Ruby last September. I asked for extra shrimp on the steak & shrimp dish & he said I could not get it (always got it before) & that I would have to order 2 entrees. So I did. He never brought the second one.

Got to ask - how many people can eat two entrees? If people are just wanting to try the different options may be it is time for Princess to consider having a taster option made up of all the entrees that day.

I always order what I want. If I see 3 things I want to try I will order 3 usually without extra sides.

It works perfectly fine the way and has for almost 30 years of Princess cruising for us as well as many dining with us. No need to change anything.

Most of the time our waiter brings us extra without even asking.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

Yep, I had the exact same issue on Crown in Boticelli with a waiter by the name of Manual on the 6/17 14-day sailing to Norway. I was taken aback as well and felt awkward. I was fuming inside. It had never happen to me before with the 10+ sailings with Princess. My friends and I always ordered something to share if it is interesting. In fact, a lot of times in previous cruises, the waiters would make that suggestion to us. On the second night, he offered to bring out the main entree one at a time but not simultaneously. I put my complaint on the comment form at the end of the cruise.

I have to agree with you! Why on earth do people want 2 entrees after having starters and presumably a dessert?

Seems like sheer gluttony but obviously this is a British view on the situation...

We have often watched open mouthed as people order 5 or 6 lobster - that just seems like greed. No wonder there is so much obesity on board, and no wonder some cruise ships no longer serve lobster. If Princess really are limiting the number of entrees any one person can order then at least it will reduce waste and cut costs.

If anyone leaves the dinner table hungry they can always go to the buffet or order a nice big fatty burger and fries from room service. ;) :confused:

I have to agree with you! Why on earth do people want 2 entrees after having starters and presumably a dessert?

Seems like sheer gluttony but obviously this is a British view on the situation...

We have often watched open mouthed as people order 5 or 6 lobster - that just seems like greed. No wonder there is so much obesity on board, and no wonder some cruise ships no longer serve lobster. If Princess really are limiting the number of entrees any one person can order then at least it will reduce waste and cut costs.

If anyone leaves the dinner table hungry they can always go to the buffet or order a nice big fatty burger and fries from room service. ;) :confused:

Judge much?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You should have asked to speak to the Head Waiter or the Maitré D'!!

DH wanted to order the spaghetti & meatballs for lunch on one of our cruises, the waiter refused because he "isn't a kid".

We spoke with the Head Waiter, he chewed out the waiter and DH got his spaghetti. The Maitré D' came by and apologized, the Head Waiter apologized and the waiter made it a point to kiss our a@# every time he saw us. And he saw us a lot. We were in TD and his tables were next to our table.;p AND we were on the ship for 34 days.:D

Agree... we were once told they had sea bass on board but it was being saved for passenger with 16 or more cruises... we had 15... my dh took up with the head of hotel operations on board, we got the sea bass... it was the head waiter who told us this and he was not a happy camper the rest of cruise. We ignored him. Should changed tables... next time I would.

Yep, I had the exact same issue on Crown in Boticelli with a waiter by the name of Manual on the 6/17 14-day sailing to Norway. I was taken aback as well and felt awkward. I was fuming inside. It had never happen to me before with the 10+ sailings with Princess. My friends and I always ordered something to share if it is interesting. In fact, a lot of times in previous cruises, the waiters would make that suggestion to us. On the second night, he offered to bring out the main entree one at a time but not simultaneously. I put my complaint on the comment form at the end of the cruise.

Do not wait til the end of the cruise deal asap while on board. See those in charge...

I think the problem was with the particular waiter. I do not believe it is a new policy to limit orders to only one main course dish. On the last formal night when lobster and beef wellington are available, I order both (but no appetizer or starter). The two have always been served with no adverse comment. I wouldn't expect an adverse comment from the waiter on Princess. The last occasion I had the two was two weeks ago.:)

Maybe someone is seeking a combination that isn't offered on the menu - maybe they want their fettucine alfredo with ground beef, so they order a burger (because that's going to be more accurate than if the waiter tries to have the kitchen put the two together).

Maybe someone is on the fence regarding two entrees, and since it's flat-rate/pre-paid/whatever, they can just order both.

Maybe my wife wants a salmon or shrimp dish (because of the flavors she enjoys), but she needs more protein (she's lost 119 pounds in 18 months, partly through a high-protein meal plan, and if she doesn't eat enough protein, she gets grouchy, and YOU don't want that to happen, as she's a redhead), so she orders a second dish with the intent to focus on the protein found in that dish.

Maybe they just want it because they walked a lot of steps in the cold on their Alaska hiking excursion, and they know their caloric burn was way higher than a normal day.

Maybe it's none of your business.

Or maybe they can have sampler sizes of entree for those ordering more than one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i think the sample size for entrees is a great idea. there have been things i'd like to try but didn't want to order. alternately, i've ordered a thing new to me and didn't like it and ordered a second entree.

i will admit i usually just order 2 orders of shrimp cocktail because YUM.

A whole lotta judging going on here.

I don't believe it is overall policy but, if it is, I don't think it will matter to me. One of the reasons my wife and I like dinner in MDR is that the portions are small. That allows us to eat a soup or salad, an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert without being stuffed full and uncomfortable. When we eat in HC we never take those large, oval, platter type plates. We take the regular round plates and don't heap them up. We don't see a reason to take a gigantic pile of food and then only eat part of it - or worse, eat it all.

The Specialty (extra cost) Dining now only allows one entree without an additional charge.

This is not to be confused with the entrees in the Main Dining Room where there is no charge for more than one. ;)

What's next, one trip & one plate of food per person at the buffet? ;)

I've had mixed results asking for double orders. Sometimes I will skip starters and have a double order of a meat I really like. When I ask for double meat I have sometimes been told that the kitchen will not allow that and they have to bring me 2 full plates, sometime 1 after the other and other times both together. Yet, sometimes I get the order I want with the double meat - maybe the some kitchen staff at more helpful or the waiter at his work station is taking the meat from 1 order and adding it to another making it looking like the kitchen gave me what I wanted.

My guess that if a waiter says you can only have one main then it is a case of misunderstanding. I can't see a change like this being done with no warning considering the way they promote meals on the ships.

I've had mixed results asking for double orders. Sometimes I will skip starters and have a double order of a meat I really like. When I ask for double meat I have sometimes been told that the kitchen will not allow that and they have to bring me 2 full plates, sometime 1 after the other and other times both together. Yet, sometimes I get the order I want with the double meat - maybe the some kitchen staff at more helpful or the waiter at his work station is taking the meat from 1 order and adding it to another making it looking like the kitchen gave me what I wanted.

My guess that if a waiter says you can only have one main then it is a case of misunderstanding. I can't see a change like this being done with no warning considering the way they promote meals on the ships.

It may also depend on how busy they are in the kitchen when the waiter appears. We have had tours of the galley on both Princess and Celebrity. The protein portion of the entrees gets cooked one place, then plated together with the other items. If it is really busy, they are probably plating everything up as quickly as they can cook it -- so if you order 2, you will get 2 full plates because the waiter has to take what's ready. If it's less busy, he can ask the 'taster chef' [whatever the official title is] to give him some protein before the final plating.

I think the problem was with the particular waiter. I do not believe it is a new policy to limit orders to only one main course dish. On the last formal night when lobster and beef wellington are available, I order both (but no appetizer or starter). The two have always been served with no adverse comment. I wouldn't expect an adverse comment from the waiter on Princess. The last occasion I had the two was two weeks ago.:)

We were on a cruise a few years back with the same formal dinner menu. I asked for the beef Wellington and a lobster tail side dish for a "surf and turf and puff" dinner. I was told that I could only have the lobster tail after I finished the Wellington dish!

Talk about revisiting one's childhood! :)

We were on a cruise a few years back with the same formal dinner menu. I asked for the beef Wellington and a lobster tail side dish for a "surf and turf and puff" dinner. I was told that I could only have the lobster tail after I finished the Wellington dish!

Talk about revisiting one's childhood! :)

I was thinking that very thing when I read your comment! :D

One time it was explained to me they had to take the whole plate of food, not just one of something served. I often want to try something, such as the protein, but I don't want to waste the other food so I don't order something I want to try. I also like to get the fettuccine some nights with something simple like grilled shrimp or grilled chicken. It's been hit or miss over the years.