Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

I was thinking that very thing when I read your comment! :D

One time it was explained to me they had to take the whole plate of food, not just one of something served. I often want to try something, such as the protein, but I don't want to waste the other food so I don't order something I want to try. I also like to get the fettuccine some nights with something simple like grilled shrimp or grilled chicken. It's been hit or miss over the years.

Popular entree plates are often prepared in an assembly line. It is actually more work to prepare a plate with a single component or a custom combination. Some kitchens manage this better than others.

We were on a cruise a few years back with the same formal dinner menu. I asked for the beef Wellington and a lobster tail side dish for a "surf and turf and puff" dinner. I was told that I could only have the lobster tail after I finished the Wellington dish!

Talk about revisiting one's childhood! :)

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?" ;)

My question regarding this issue is, what is the best way to deal with this if it happens to me? I really HATE the thought of automatically complaining to a higher-up (headwaiter, for example) if it is going to get my waiter in trouble ("chewed out" is the phrase one poster used.) Is there a way to give the waiter an opportunity to straighten out the problem himself without immediately involving his superior? Would it be appropriate to suggest to the waiter that HE ask the headwaiter himself about the policy? To me, this gives the waiter an opportunity to go ahead and ask the headwaiter about it himself, which he might be disinclined to do because it might get him into trouble, or to simply take my "controversial" order because it is the easiest thing to do.

If I were in the situation where I wanted two entrees and was told "no," I might just let it go that one time, but talk to the headwaiter on my way out of the dining room to find out whether it was a "one-off" (mistake on my waiter's part) or policy. This might still get my waiter in trouble, I suppose, but it wouldn't cause a fuss at the dinner table.

I see this as a dilemma as I am the sort of person who "wants what I want" but also does not want to cause undo trouble for someone else, and especially not to involve an employee's superior if not absolutely necessary. I like to give people an opportunity to remedy their own mistakes, if possible.

What I would NOT do is complain after the fact -- such as on an end-of-cruise survey/comment card about an issue that I was not willing to give the relevant employee an opportunity to remedy when the problem happened.

We were on a cruise a few years back with the same formal dinner menu. I asked for the beef Wellington and a lobster tail side dish for a "surf and turf and puff" dinner. I was told that I could only have the lobster tail after I finished the Wellington dish!

Talk about revisiting one's childhood! :)

That sounds like the waiter wanted to make sure you finished one plated dish before bringing the next one.:)

The waiters I have had usually bring me the lobster tail first, often when the others at the table receive their first course. This works better when there is anytime dining, because by the time we are in the dining room, some others are already part way through their meal and the lobster is ready. With TD, sometimes the waiters apologise that I will have to wait for the lobster because they would not be ready when they bring out the first course to the rest of the table. All OK. :)

I've had mixed results asking for double orders. Sometimes I will skip starters and have a double order of a meat I really like. When I ask for double meat I have sometimes been told that the kitchen will not allow that and they have to bring me 2 full plates, sometime 1 after the other and other times both together. Yet, sometimes I get the order I want with the double meat - maybe the some kitchen staff at more helpful or the waiter at his work station is taking the meat from 1 order and adding it to another making it looking like the kitchen gave me what I wanted.

My guess that if a waiter says you can only have one main then it is a case of misunderstanding. I can't see a change like this being done with no warning considering the way they promote meals on the ships.

They are pre plated. Your waiter probably transferred it to the same plate or he requested the kitchen staff do it. ;)

Wow. You took the words right out of my head. ;p

"Please sir, may I have some more?"

As to the OP:

I've never heard this before - seems to me now that the Crown is certainly one of the goofier Princess ships. I'd be all over HW/MD then Hotel GM. I don't take "no" very well on a cruise for things we've always or frequently gotten.

And we covered Pink Floyd and Oliver in One Post.

Now that makes sense. ;)

If it does hold true I guess we'll just have to go around one more time.

Wow, if you thought the lines were long before just wait till loads of people line up another time. :D

Could be why the waiter took my other order.;)

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?" ;)

Pudding aka a martini in Crooner's after dinner as I'm not much of a desert fan! :p

And yes, that did also go through my head at the time! :)

When we eat in HC we never take those large, oval, platter type plates. We take the regular round plates and don't heap them up. We don't see a reason to take a gigantic pile of food and then only eat part of it - or worse, eat it all.

On the Emerald in July, no more big oval plates. Only new round ones, with matching bowls.

36233306176_19c854b65b_z.jpg

Also used at pizza and burger stands.

36233316326_29f7e06e82_z.jpg

On the Emerald in July, no more big oval plates. Only new round ones, with matching bowls.

Same on the Golden a couple of weeks ago. I prefer the large oval plates because the different food items don't have to merge or even go on top of each other as they do on the smaller plates. They are much smaller than 'dinner-plate' size. My estimate is that they would be 8 inch, whereas to my mind 9 inch is OK for a lunch-size plate, but I use 10 inch for dinner.:) Maybe the good thing is that the tiny plates discourage over-eating.

i wonder if the "one plate after the other" is less chiding and more keeping the food at the right temp and table space constraints. maybe some were at smaller tables where extra plates aren't as easy to accommodate?

You are probably correct. My guess is that it was to keep the food at the correct temperature. :)

We are not fans of bringing out a full main when we ask for a small taste of a dish. I know they (the wait staff) mean well but, being raised to finish what is served, there is a bit of guilt involved with leaving food uneaten.

It is not a matter of meaning well.

The full main is the way the dish is automatically plated. If you want a smaller portion or one without the the extra veggies for example, it is extra work both for your waiter and for the plater/cook in the galley. The waitstaff is busy enough that they do not want to take extra time to wait in the galley for a special plating.

I have seen waiters receive the full plating and move what was not wanted into the disposal bin before bringing the plate to the table just as the passenger wanted it.

I have also seen this with desserts. For example, ice cream is standard with two scoops. If you only order one scoop, sometimes the waiter will get a two-scoop serving and dispose of the 2nd scoop before bringing it to the table.

Got to ask - how many people can eat two entrees? If people are just wanting to try the different options may be it is time for Princess to consider having a taster option made up of all the entrees that day.

The Galley is not set up for that.

Each entree has its own plating station. For a sampler plate, the waiter would have to go to each station and get a special addition of just the entree, a big user of time for the hard working waitstaff.

It is not a matter of meaning well.

The full main is the way the dish is automatically plated. If you want a smaller portion or one without the the extra veggies for example, it is extra work both for your waiter and for the plater/cook in the galley. The waitstaff is busy enough that they do not want to take extra time to wait in the galley for a special plating.

I have seen waiters receive the full plating and move what was not wanted into the disposal bin before bringing the plate to the table just as the passenger wanted it.

I have also seen this with desserts. For example, ice cream is standard with two scoops. If you only order one scoop, sometimes the waiter will get a two-scoop serving and dispose of the 2nd scoop before bringing it to the table.

Thanks caribill. I can now feel guilty about not getting food I don't want, thinking about how they trashed the excess before bringing it out. I guess my only hope is to become a breatharian, living off the spores in the air.

The only problem I have seen when a passenger at our table orders two mains is that the waiter will not go on to the desert course for anyone at the table until that person has finished both entrees.

Yes, that can be a problem. Once on an NCL ship, my DW did not order an appetizer. Someone at our table ordered every single one and received them one by one while she sat there waiting to have something to eat.

Got to ask - how many people can eat two entrees? If people are just wanting to try the different options may be it is time for Princess to consider having a taster option made up of all the entrees that day.

you'd be surprised...

We have a very athletic friend that loves cruising. We go together cruising all the time. He'd alone have 4-5 entrees fully consumed, and then finish whatever we didn't finish. He is not obese at all. Very athletic, plays hockey and does yoga.

My hubby, who doesn't usually eat much, can finish off 2 entrees. Plus appetizers. No, he is not obese. He only does it while cruising 1-2 times a year.

I usually order a couple of entrees and several appetizers, but do not eat veggies/garnish/side dishes - I prefer to eat meat only. I may nibble on the side dish if it looks interesting, and if it's really good and worthy, I'll finish it, but that happens very seldom.

My dad can finish several plates at any buffet, not including dessert. Unfortunately, his voracious appetite caused diabetes, so he can no longer enjoy THAT much food. He is obese.

I don't think my mom will be eating more than 1 or maybe 2 entrees at the most. She is not obese.

P.S. I indicated the obesity status because PP mentioned it and said that, perhaps, only the obese people could finish more than 1 entrée. Not true!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I have to agree with you! Why on earth do people want 2 entrees after having starters and presumably a dessert?

Seems like sheer gluttony but obviously this is a British view on the situation...

We have often watched open mouthed as people order 5 or 6 lobster - that just seems like greed. No wonder there is so much obesity on board, and no wonder some cruise ships no longer serve lobster. If Princess really are limiting the number of entrees any one person can order then at least it will reduce waste and cut costs.

If anyone leaves the dinner table hungry they can always go to the buffet or order a nice big fatty burger and fries from room service. ;) :confused:

Spot on. Thank you.

The only problem I have seen when a passenger at our table orders two mains is that the waiter will not go on to the desert course for anyone at the table until that person has finished both entrees.

then we'll be in trouble on our upcoming cruise, since my mom eats at an excruciatingly slow speed.

Yes, that can be a problem. Once on an NCL ship, my DW did not order an appetizer. Someone at our table ordered every single one and received them one by one while she sat there waiting to have something to eat.

then we'll be in trouble on our upcoming cruise, since my mom eats at an excruciatingly slow speed.

That's one of the main reasons we sit at a table for 2. Unless you really enjoy the conversations around the table each evening, it eliminates so many problems. :)

That's one of the main reasons we sit at a table for 2. Unless you really enjoy the conversations around the table each evening, it eliminates so many problems. :)

well, there is going to be 9-10 of us (my family + friend's family) at the table. We cannot isolate my mom just because she eats slowly. :) ;p

We'll simply order dessert long before she is done.