re meat pies

I think the big difference is the pies in that the hand held pies in Oz seem to have a more substantial crust. I believe the pies from my regular butcher would stand up to the rigours of hand held eating. I think Canadian meat pies are made with the idea they will be eaten with a fork when heated. As I said Canadians will eat and enjoy a cold meat pie.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I hang my head in shame🤔. There I was ready to try my first hot pie by hand, I failed miserably. As I tipped the pie out of the pan part of the rim stuck and the pie self destructed right on the plate. So there I was with mush on the plate, out came the fork and a tasty lunch was enjoyed.

You need to do the pie eating course when you come over here Lyle, there are short courses, you don't have to become a pie eating Graduate, just a short course pie eater.  As long as none of your pie was wasted on the floor, nothing wrong with a deconstructed pie, had a couple of them, not made right with the GF flour, last one was in Emerald, Qld, about 4 years ago, like a train crash. Looked a bit like this....So no fingers, plastic knife and fork. job.

th (5).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The small pie from my butcher are rectangular with rounded corners. They are quite robust, and are sold without the foil pie plate, suggesting they are intended to be heated without it.

Mmmm interesting.  Not many pies are sold here in a foil tray either.  Here is one. Most bakeries just put them in a little white paper bag, cheapskates.

th (6).jpg

Edited by NSWP

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Mmmm interesting.  Not many pies are sold here in a foil tray either.  Here is one. Most bakeries just put them in a little white paper bag, cheapskates.

th (6).jpg

Lots of small stand alone pie shops use foil, as much for them as us, it makes clean up easier.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The small pie from my butcher are rectangular with rounded corners. They are quite robust, and are sold without the foil pie plate, suggesting they are intended to be heated without it.

Rectangular Or square pies tend to keep their shape better during the early stage of eating, but tend to fall apart later in the process unless you tackle them right. A Sqare pie here would be about 3 inches on each side. 

traveller’s pies might be a good start for a black duck

4AE5ED52-D01F-4B6E-A679-8DFB66FB0A39.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Scored a pie maker for Father’s Day, now I just need to give it a try.

Get stuck in lad, we need a pic of the Gutster Pie, what a name for a pie, you could produce them commercially and be bigger than Sean Garlick in Pieworld.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Get stuck in lad, we need a pic of the Gutster Pie, what a name for a pie, you could produce them commercially and be bigger than Sean Garlick in Pieworld.

Already bigger thab]n Sean, I was a prop he was one of them little hookers like the ones I had to protect at all cost

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Rectangular Or square pies tend to keep their shape better during the early stage of eating, but tend to fall apart later in the process unless you tackle them right. A Sqare pie here would be about 3 inches on each side. 

traveller’s pies might be a good start for a black duck

4AE5ED52-D01F-4B6E-A679-8DFB66FB0A39.jpeg

Almost like a hot dog pie or a foot long Subway, , a longy, do you start at one end or go for the middle first?  You could fit a lot of sauce on top.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Already bigger thab]n Sean, I was a prop he was one of them little hookers like the ones I had to protect at all cost

Protecting hookers.

Did that mark you a pimp?

So hard to understand that game. I won’t try.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Almost like a hot dog pie or a foot long Subway, , a longy, do you start at one end or go for the middle first?  You could fit a lot of sauce on top.

Not that long Les, 4 or 5 inches I guess (about the same length as a biggish sausage roll) by about 2 wide easy to eat one handed, start at one end, if it is real hot nibble and suck, otherwise just chomp away. 4 and 20 make one that a lot of servos sell.

When I was a photographer and did a lot of travel, 70,000+ km a year, became an expert on what could easily be eaten as I drove, chicko roll was first choice, 

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Protecting hookers.

Did that mark you a pimp?

So hard to understand that game. I won’t try.

When I was coming through the ranks scrums were a violent affair (the game has gone soft) and the poor old hooker was supposed to have both arms around the props which left him a sitting duck, so the prop had to protect him at all cost.

Easir to follow league positions than lines and followers and taggers don’t even get a real position, just in the mid line, forward line or whatever other line, never understood how they can plat arias ping pong with no net.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When I was a photographer and did a lot of travel, 70,000+ km a year, became an expert on what could easily be eaten as I drove, chicko roll was first choice, 

Chico Roll and Chips, best settler for the hangover stomach.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Not that long Les, 4 or 5 inches I guess (about the same length as a biggish sausage roll) by about 2 wide easy to eat one handed, start at one end, if it is real hot nibble and suck, otherwise just chomp away. 4 and 20 make one that a lot of servos sell.

Thanks, I have seen the Travellers pies in our local IGA.   

10 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Now you are talking, ye olde Chiko Roll, in the prescribed bag of course with plenty salt. Pre Kebab.  1756874397_th(1).jpg.081f27b7c89177cda4455440cefb387a.jpg

Edited by NSWP

14 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Many years ago I worked with a bloke, you knew how bad he was if he arrived at work with a chicko or sausage roll and can of Coke in one hand and his shoes in another. Never made him appointments before lunch, he locked himself in the office and did (or pretended to do) paperwork. Wonder he wasn’t sacked except he could get through more work five afternoons and one or two mornings a week that three other blokes would all week, and everything always balanced.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Many years ago I worked with a bloke, you knew how bad he was if he arrived at work with a chicko or sausage roll and can of Coke in one hand and his shoes in another. Never made him appointments before lunch, he locked himself in the office and did (or pretended to do) paperwork. Wonder he wasn’t sacked except he could get through more work five afternoons and one or two mornings a week that three other blokes would all week, and everything always balanced.

Pre Berocca days.  And Coke and Chiko rolls are magic cures.

Edited by NSWP

39 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Many years ago I worked with a bloke, you knew how bad he was if he arrived at work with a chicko or sausage roll and can of Coke in one hand and his shoes in another. 

Did he also have a BEX? I worked with a guy who would turn up most days hungover & take a BEX powder dry??? We were always amazed that anyone could take one of those without water! His alcohol problems cost him his wife & family & he eventually left or got sacked - I can't recall. We were sure he would be found dead in the gutter somewhere.

Some years later he turned up to our factory, dressed in a suit & looking 20 years younger. He said the shock of losing everything to alcohol addiction caused him to turn his life around. He had given up the grog and found a new lady friend, and was living well in a van in a caravan park up the coast. WE shook his hand and said "good on him". Not sure if he was still on the dry BEX powders 😮 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Did he also have a BEX? I worked with a guy who would turn up most days hungover & take a BEX powder dry??? We were always amazed that anyone could take one of those without water! His alcohol problems cost him his wife & family & he eventually left or got sacked - I can't recall. We were sure he would be found dead in the gutter somewhere.

Some years later he turned up to our factory, dressed in a suit & looking 20 years younger. He said the shock of losing everything to alcohol addiction caused him to turn his life around. He had given up the grog and found a new lady friend, and was living well in a van in a caravan park up the coast. WE shook his hand and said "good on him". Not sure if he was still on the dry BEX powders 😮 

They killed my wife's Aunt, she was addicted to them for 50 years. Kidney failure eventually, even though dialysis machine.

4cc0b2e2afe4cd085cd2af8d696275bd.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

They killed my wife's Aunt, she was addicted to them for 50 years. Kidney failure eventually, even though dialysis machine.

I worked with a family man in his 30s who used to take a Bex with a Coke every morning.  His kidneys failed and he ended up on dialysis and died in his 30s - so sad.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

When I was coming through the ranks scrums were a violent affair (the game has gone soft) and the poor old hooker was supposed to have both arms around the props which left him a sitting duck, so the prop had to protect him at all cost.

Easir to follow league positions than lines and followers and taggers don’t even get a real position, just in the mid line, forward line or whatever other line, never understood how they can plat arias ping pong with no net.

I recall reading about Weary Dunlop playing rugger during is days in blighty pre WW2. After a game he would go back to his digs and reconstruct his nose using the   handle of his toothbrush. Bred them tough in those days.

Edited by lyndarra

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

First wife was a Bex addict, Doctor warned her. I heard she ended up on a dialysis machine about 20 years ago, most likely carked it by now.

49 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

First wife was a Bex addict, Doctor warned her. I heard she ended up on a dialysis machine about 20 years ago, most likely carked it by now.

Very sorry to hear that occurred, my commiserations.