Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Minus those folks, which won't be many.

It also puts a burden to stay if you can get off and fly home with your original ticket return airfare covered due to the original flight cancelled. What if they sail to Galveston on Friday, and then the roads don't clear for days. Those people will try to travel up to roads towards Houston (which is the only way to really go) putting a burden on the region trying to recover. Not to mention if they DO have to fly, then the burden on a backlogged airport trying to get a flight back.

If you flew to Houston or to the Liberty to Houston, you have NO IDEA when you will A: Get back to Galveston via ship B: no idea when you can get of the ship and safely to IAH and C: when you can actually fly from IAH to back home. Hence its stupid to pass up a safe return travel option via South FL now.....

The only people with a reason to stay on the ship until Galveston are those who drove there or really have nothing else to do for the next week, or longer, and can just roll with it. That 2nd group is not a lot of people.

You might be surprised how many people do actually drive to Galveston. It's a lot more than what you think. Pretty much anyone from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana or Kansas. Galveston cruises have an extremely large percentage of passengers from the state of Texas, simply because it is such a large state.

No. Immigration and customs are always done at the first port upon return to the USA.

Since the next port (supposedly Galveston) will still be in the USA, there is no need to do it again.

Just as when you fly to Miami from overseas. You go through immigration and customs in Miami. If you then fly domestically to Houston, no immigration and customs involved when you land there.

Well, sorta. Immigration is done at the first US port. Customs isn't typically done until the end because you can still buy merchandise on the ship.

Make that Agreed. I watched the video from the news of that Traveler on Liberty having a meltdown and definitely a SF.

I haven't seen it. Is that the video from the guy earlier in one of these threads who reached out to the media and did some sort of Skype interview?

You might be surprised how many people do actually drive to Galveston. It's a lot more than what you think. Pretty much anyone from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana or Kansas. Galveston cruises have an extremely large percentage of passengers from the state of Texas, simply because it is such a large state.

Yes, I would guess more drive than fly. I would guess, also, that when they get back to Galveston their problems will not be over, if there is flooding of parking lots. What a mess.

JC

Well, sorta. Immigration is done at the first US port. Customs isn't typically done until the end because you can still buy merchandise on the ship.

I agree that it is how it is supposed to work, but I know on Alaska cruises that start in Victoria, Canada, you go through US immigration before boarding the ship. When you disembark in Alaska at the end of the cruise there is no immigration or customs to go through.

So it seems the same is done here, that after clearing in Miami they will not need to do so in Galveston.

Of course the Texas state tax folk who want to collect a liquor tax for any booze being brought into Texas from a cruise ship might still be out in Galveston even though U.S. Customs will not be there.

Here is the gift bag. It also had a water bottle and apple I had to throw away at airport security.

Why would you have to give up the apple at airport security?

I assume you received the gift bag after leaving the ship as customs would not be letting any fruit from the ship to go on shore.

I haven't seen it. Is that the video from the guy earlier in one of these threads who reached out to the media and did some sort of Skype interview?

Not sure about the video Troy is talking about, but this is the BarryH video.

http://www.wafb.com/story/36236572/baton-rouge-man-among-those-stuck-on-cruise-ship-due-to-harvey

Don't blink, you will miss him.

I assume you received the gift bag after leaving the ship as customs would not be letting any fruit from the ship to go on shore.

Threw the water bottle out when I got to the airport and tossed the apple too as I didn't want it. We received the bags after the terminal. At CBP we didn't have to do a declarations paper nor did they ask if we bought anything. Nicest CPB I have had yet- very friendly and just looked at our passports and said welcome back.

All staff at the terminal were very friendly and welcoming.

We were at the Atlanta airport returning from Switzerland. The dog sat down at a woman's side. She went to pet it saying good doggy. Turned out fruits (and whatever - including apples brought onto a ship in Galveston and flying out of ???) are banned produce. Her bag was given the once over, and, yes, our bus trip provided apples to munch and one had been in her bag on a tour day. The doggy got a treat.

Next stop, going through customs. The agent asked the folks in front of us where is your fruit? Her form had a long red mark on it. She said, we threw it out. He said go get it. We have to dispose of it properly. Off they went and we finally cleared customs in time to catch our plane.

I don't get the can't bring it with you if the apple still has the Wasington state identification sticky on it.

One really odd vegetable was turned in - who would eat an eggplant - raw?

Judy

Edited by happicruzer

We were at the Atlanta airport returning from Switzerland. The dog sat down at a woman's side. She went to pet it saying good doggy. Turned out fruits (and whatever - including apples brought onto a ship in Galveston and flying out of ???) are banned produce. Her bag was given the once over, and, yes, our bus trip provided apples to munch and one had been in her bag on a tour day. The doggy got a treat.

Next stop, going through customs. The agent asked the folks in front of us where is your fruit? Her form had a long

red mark on it. She said, we threw it out. He said go get it. We have to dispose of it properly. Off they went and we finally cleared customs in time to catch our plane.

I don't get the can't bring it with you if the apple still has the Wasington state identification sticky on it.

Judy

I dont understand what this has to do with a bag the passenger recieve from the RCL after leaving the ship in Miami,

Edited by tugboat

They announced that 2200 were getting off. Right when we go to into port Micheal Bailey got on and made an announcement.

So that leaves about a thousand hardy souls headed to the area of the biggest weather disaster in Texas History, except for the 1900 Galveston Hurricane which killed 6,000-8,000 people and left dead bodies stacked like cordwood around the base of that quaint black lighthouse you see to your left as you depart Galveston.

Best wishes...this is going to be interesting.

Guess lunch was supposed to be eaten from here to there. Hawaii can't ship oranges into the US, don't remember what bug they haven't gotten rid of.

With today's airline rules and regulations, who knows? We have become grounded by choice. If we can't drive there, we stay put or find an alternative destination.

Judy

Judy

So, we were leaving from downtown Beijing at the end of April, and we took a bus from our hotel to the airport for the flight home. There was a woman (I assume Chinese) and she was snacking on what looked to be an 18 inch long two inch diameter thorny cucumber. She ate the entire thing in about 15 minutes, and by entire thing I mean all of it.

I will post a picture if I can find it.

JC

Guess lunch was supposed to be eaten from here to there. Hawaii can't ship oranges into the US, don't remember what bug they haven't gotten rid of.

With today's airline rules and regulations, who knows? We have become grounded by choice. If we can't drive there, we stay put or find an alternative destination.

Judy

While I prefer to sail from home, I still have to fly to some places.

Singapore

Copenhagen

Barcelona

Not ready to be grounded just yet.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Just some information that I have been given. We are part of a CERT team that will be flying

into Houston tonight to work for the next 14 days. We were told that the airports there will be closes or very limited flight into and out of the next few days. Emgs supplies, and workers will be flown in

from all over, and the very sick will be flown out. We were told not to even think about getting out

until 14 days from tomorrow. To all on you have been effected my thoughts go out to you.

Sorry, I didn't read all 30+ pages here. I was on my boat today and saw Liberty in Miami. The ship didn't have the usually crowds of people and I was thinking it has to do with Houston?

I did notice they were provisioning. After scanning a couple pages, seems some passengers are staying on to head to Galveston?

20170829_155420.jpg

Not sure what you wanted Royal to do for your friend. I agree they handled the Sunday issue with the new cruise poorly but for the people on board they were given a ride to Miami with the option to get off or ride back to Galveston. I am sure they were feed and the ship brought in some new entertainment for the ride back. The cruise line is not responsible for weather issues just like the airlines. Pretty much the same that Carnival did using New Orleans. Also as others have pointed out kid you had a flight out of Houston the airport should change NC since the airports in Houston are closed.

Probably a good time to say travel insurance would have helped with any other expenses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Mayor of Houston has said that IAH and HOU are operational, but not to commercial flights. (I do not know what it will take for commercial flights to operate.)

It would take lots of people to open the airports for commercial flights. I am sure they are allowing flights for rescue and recovery only.