Kings Court

Summergee

On HAL this summer there was no shortage of waiters in the Lido Market buffet to pour coffee and to fetch a glass of your choice of juice. I've seen waiters in KC with coffee but I don't recall having them offer to get juice. Is my memory correct?

My impression has been that both Princess and Holland America do a better job of personal service in the buffets than Cunard.

Somewhat unrelated but on HAL self-service is almost nonexistent in the buffets. You could grab rolls, a pre-made (wrapped) sandwich, or a pre-poured glass of juice but almost everything else was put on a plate per your request and handed to you. This remained the case over a 2-week cruise, not just as part of a post-embarkation Code Yellow precaution period.

See my post #21. Waiter went and got DD a juice refill without being asked. He'd overheard her saying she was going to get one herself.

See my post #21. Waiter went and got DD a juice refill without being asked. He'd overheard her saying she was going to get one herself.
OK, that's encouraging. But has a waiter ever approached your table and asked whether you'd like juice, and what kind? That is, did he initiate it?

I fail to understand all the complaint about the buffet when there exists for all passengers a set of magnificent dining rooms open for all meals. Linen and silver set, liveried wait staff and an extensive cook to order breakfast menu plus one can venture off menu for the occasional item. Took a world cruise and ate (one does not dine in the buffet) just once in the buffet.

I fail to understand all the complaint about the buffet when there exists for all passengers a set of magnificent dining rooms open for all meals. Linen and silver set, liveried wait staff and an extensive cook to order breakfast menu plus one can venture off menu for the occasional item. Took a world cruise and ate (one does not dine in the buffet) just once in the buffet.

In general I agree, but it's easy to picture a scenario where I'd want to grab a quick breakfast from a buffet and be gone (a port day and a day when I'm rushing to a morning activity are two potential scenarios that spring to mind).

Lots of good points. I try to stop complaining about KC and just avoid it. On the other hand, there are times, such as embarkation day and disembarkation morning, when KC is just about the only option. And frankly it would be nice to have a quality buffet as an option. Oh well.

Regarding table service for beverages, it is my understanding that with the rehab last year on the QM2, one of the concepts was to provide servers who would take drink orders from tables to cut down on the large number of PAX wandering back and forth. This was a good idea but has not been fully realized.

OK, that's encouraging. But has a waiter ever approached your table and asked whether you'd like juice, and what kind? That is, did he initiate it?

Yes, we've been asked if we wanted hot or cold drinks (from the dispensers). I've also seen people attracting the attention of waiters (always a few walking around) and asking them to get their drinks. Never had a problem.

We recently returned from the round trip August voyage and found Kings Court much improved with more tables and chairs and a much larger selection of food.An interesting point from our Maitre d n the Brittania restaurant,chatting to him one night,he asked if we come to lunch in the Brittania restaurant.We informed him we do but not everyday.He said since Kings Court has been upgraded,people using Brittania restaurant for lunch has dropped off quite a lot...Interesting point we thought

Hi,

Although I prefer breakfast and lunch in the dining room, Kings Court is very convenient if you have an early shore excursion or return back to the ship after lunch is offered in the dining room. Kings Court is much better following the "remastering" last year.

Chuck

I remember looking at the renderings for the remastered Kings Court before the refit was done and thinking how wonderful it looked compared to the old version. Then I realised that the reason it looked so great was because there were no people in the photo. Add people and a serene looking space can quickly turn into chaos!!

IMHO, the best way to avoid all of these service, tray, and table problem is to avoid Kings Court. Oh, and besides the alternatives that have been suggested, there is also the Pub for lunch.

With you there tv24.

I've always viewed the Kings Court as a small price to pay for travelling on a true Ocean Liner and somewhat better than my local Morrison's buffet - which I have to pass when entering the store I may add.

... I try to stop complaining about KC and just avoid it.
As do I, whenever possible. Between hectic meal times is usually the best time to go there, for a hot drink or snack.

My favourite time to visit is very early, pre-breakfast, and sit quietly in one of the 10 glass "bays" on the Promenade Deck, and watch the sun come up, the early walkers, the crew washing everything down. And, after a fruit juice or coffee, a quiet walk around the promenade myself.

Sometimes, I have had the Kings Court, or promenade, almost entirely to myself. In the middle of the North Atlantic, it is a magical time of day.

On the other hand, there are times, such as embarkation day and disembarkation morning, when KC is just about the only option...
I now always, always make a point of having a last civilised breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant on disembarkation morning.

I avoid the zoo that is Kings Court for breakfast that day.

I did go once (in New York in '06). People with bags and cases fighting for tables, the noise, the pushing and shoving, and for what? A rushed and stressful end to a blissful calm cruise or crossing. No thank you!

Britannia Restaurant every time.

As do I, whenever possible. Between hectic meal times is usually the best time to go there, for a hot drink or snack.

My favourite time to visit is very early, pre-breakfast, and sit quietly in one of the 10 glass "bays" on the Promenade Deck, and watch the sun come up, the early walkers, the crew washing everything down. And, after a fruit juice or coffee, a quiet walk around the promenade myself.

Sometimes, I have had the Kings Court, or promenade, almost entirely to myself. In the middle of the North Atlantic, it is a magical time of day. I now always, always make a point of having a last civilised breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant on disembarkation morning.

I avoid the zoo that is Kings Court for breakfast that day.

I did go once (in New York in '06). People with bags and cases fighting for tables, the noise, the pushing and shoving, and for what? A rushed and stressful end to a blissful calm cruise or crossing. No thank you!

Britannia Restaurant every time.

Brilliant Peppern! I would almost rather go hungry that face KC on disembarkation day. Since one has to vacate one's stateroom by 8:00 anyway, why not just relax in the dining room?

While I enjoy eating in the restaurant, we have booked a couple of shore excursions which get us back around 3 in the afternoon. Will I still be able to have lunch or will the only option be afternoon tea?

Unfortunately you are out of luck. Kings Court is open only during its regular hours which are posted in the daily program. It's not a round-the-clock operation. If you get back from an excursion at an odd hour, I recommend room service if you need some sustenance.

Unfortunately you are out of luck. Kings Court is open only during its regular hours which are posted in the daily program. It's not a round-the-clock operation. If you get back from an excursion at an odd hour, I recommend room service if you need some sustenance.

I think you mean the Britannia restaurant, as the Kings Court is open all the time.

We last travelled on QM2 8 years ago and are due to travel on her next month. Can anyone tell me how the Kings Court has changed since we last travelled on her?

Back on your last QM2 voyage, the KC offered FREE alternative dining at one of the four venues in the evening. Now, there is a charge for the alternative meal and their menus have changed from 2009…

Physically, the remastering improved the flow of chaos (IMO). Also, the new area replacing the Winter Garden is lovely. I was one who thought I would miss WG for old-times-sake, but the change was such an improvement. Look for the counter which offers lighter and quick food items, away from the hub-bub of the main KC.

Last October & November, KC had a chocolate extravaganza in the afternoon (unadvertised) which we had never stumbled upon during other voyages. I don't know if this was altogether "new" or just something we missed previously. A lotta calories available!

Happy Sailing, Jimmybean

Back on your last QM2 voyage, the KC offered FREE alternative dining at one of the four venues in the evening. Now, there is a charge for the alternative meal and their menus have changed from 2009…
The fee is still (barely) low enough to be appear as a money grab. I've heard here that when it was free people would make a reservation and then no-show so this helps in that regard. We enjoy the KC dinners and don't mind paying what they ask.