Hurricane Irma Watch

What about Tampa?

I think right now the models are very unclear on that. If the latest GFS run is right (calling for a near-miss of the east coast), then Tampa might very well be fully operational. If the other models calling for a mid-state or even SW tip landfall are right then Tampa is going to be closed down too.

Still lots of uncertainty and no one can know exactly what the storm will do.

Even the prediction that MIA, FLL, and Pt. C are going to be out of commission is based on looking at the majority of the forecasts (though that majority is becoming overwhelming). There are some that call for this thing slipping west into the Gulf in which case the east coast ports might be fine.

Please post as soon as you know when you will be arriving, as we are supposed to board when you get off, and they haven't told us anything, including they it will arrive later than scheduled for us. We live in northwest Florida and we have hotel reservations for Thurs. night in Ft. Pierce and had planned on arriving around 1pm, so I guess at noon tomorrow we will know if we are cruising and when. They posted earlier today that they would make an announcement at 6pm today if it would be cancelled, instead they just postponed it until tomorrow at noon. Thank you and be safe out there.

I will! There was dead silence when the captain made his announcement but then everyone seemingly went back to normal. Tomorrow is a day at sea so I will update as soon as I hear.

They are really pushing this meteorologist, on Allure the captain mentioned him twice and plugged his Twitter. The whole handling of this has been odd, when they announced via a tweet two days ago Labadee was cancelled but didn't tell the guests until an hour ago. For that matter, nobody working on board even mentioned the storm until an hour ago. It's felt like the elephant in the room since day 1.

Once again, I wonder about the RCI meteorologist and his qualifications..,

Given that billions are at stake, it would be a bit surprising if she wasn't highly qualified. Of course the bean counters may have contracted the job to the lowest bidder. ;)

Based on his Twitter and reports from Orlando friends where he used to be a weatherman, looks like he's a failed country music singer.

But, as my friend said, "very popular with the ladies".

So I'm guessing charisma played a part.

I wonder what he said on the Liberty last week and was it to the general public or only to suite guests? I think that would have been an interesting and unique Q&A or Captains Corner session.

Exactly my point. Were you here for my live forecasting of Harvey? No? Guess what? I was right. He was wrong, and I am simply a weather enthusiast.

You should be nice to me. I was super helpful on this board.

Agree with u....who was the storm chaser we followed during Harvey? Any webcam links to the carribean islands being impacted? I can't find any worth a hoot, they are all at the level of Mr fleet...

I'm sure James Van Fleet is a perfectly qualified meteorologist. Problem is he's also pressured into giving RCI the most optimistic of scenarios. He won't get fired for cancelling a cruise too late. But I'm sure if he called for a cruise to be cancelled, but later RCI determined that they couldve sailed. He'd be gone in a heartbeat. So his judgement in these situations could be compromised vs your Hurricane Center meteorologists.

Interesting time right now.

The regional models (HMON and HWRF) are have shifted right and now predict a landfall pretty much the center of SFL.

GFS continues to lead the predictions eastward and now shows the eye missing mainland FL.

The Euro model is westerly and shows a Naples landfall and then diagonal crossing of the state.

It will be interesting to see what the 0Z Euro and GFS runs bring us and whether Euro shifts right, GFS comes back to the middle, or they continue to diverge.

Agree with u....who was the storm chaser we followed during Harvey? Any webcam links to the carribean islands being impacted? I can't find any worth a hoot, they are all at the level of Mr fleet...

Anguilla shut down their power and took down the cell towers (intentionally).

OMG lol. I don't know if I could watch him again :eek::D:D:p. Let me find his name: Jeff Piotrowski. Follow him on twitter.