Hurricane Irma Watch

I was amazed, well, not really, watching the price of flights out of MCO for Thursday skyrocket. There's only one possible track I've seen so far that does not have a major impact on Florida. Whether it goes up the east or west coast, the storm is still very wide as are it's effects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does Florida have laws related to Gouging to cover that situation? . If they don't they should!:rolleyes:

Jet Blue just waived change fees for certain flights to FL

Due to the impending weather forecasted in the Caribbean and Florida regions, we will waive fees and increases in fare for customers within the parameters below.

Florida region

Customers traveling Saturday, September 9, 2017 through Sunday, September 10, 2017 to/from:

• Fort Lauderale, FL (FLL)
  • West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
  • Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
  • Sarasota, FL (SRQ)
  • Tampa, FL (TPA)
  • Orlando, FL (MCO)

Customers may rebook their flights for travel through Tuesday, September 12, 2017 online in the ‘Manage Flights’ section of jetblue.com or by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) prior to the departure time of their originally scheduled flight. Customers with cancelled flights may also opt for a refund to the original form of payment. Original travel must have been booked on or before Tuesday, September 5, 2017.

We are currently on oasis. We are scheduled to return to Port Canaveral on Sunday. We have not heard a word from anyone on board regarding anything. In fact no employee has even mentioned the word storm or hurricane.

Passengers are creating all types of chatter and scenarios of returning to port early, returning to port late , returning to some other port etc. etc. It would be great, if we would hear something official from RCCL. It would be nice for them to tell us "we don't know anything yet but we know that you were concerned". Many passengers have family and friends in harms way, many need to return to their homes on Sunday etc.

So as far as we know, we will go to Falmouth tomorrow, have a day at sea, go to Cozumel on Friday, have a "lovely" day at sea Saturday ( in a CAT 5 storm) back to Port Canaveral 6 AM this Sunday morning. We have not been told otherwise.

Of course those passengers without Internet are even more out of the loop. Come on our RCCL. Give us some information about our return Sunday.

M

I don't know what you want Royal to tell you. The storm is still too far out to make a true determination as to what path it will take. Anything at this point is guessing. I also don't know how an announcement of "we don't know anything, but we'll let you know" does any good. All it will likely do is panic those on board who are cut off and obvlivious. Enjoy your cruise, and Royal will fill you in when they know something. More than likely you will be returning some other day than Sunday.

I see NCL is offering 50% future credit in addition to the refund.

If that's true, that's awesome.

Trying to book for another sailing at a good rate is going to be a challenge. Any idea if the 25% credit Royal is offering can be combined with the employee discount?

Following is from the RCCL website. (I put in bold red parts of this, since it addresses some issues brought up in the last several posts.) Hope this helps anyone trying to plan for this weekend or currently onboard!

September 5, 2017 at 1:15 EDT (next update today at 6 PM EDT)

We are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma's path and its potential impact to our current and upcoming sailings. Royal Caribbean's Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, is closely tracking the storm's progress, and the current forecast is as follows:

Hurricane Irma is a category 5 hurricane with sustained winds around the center at 180 mph and is currently located about 225 miles east of Antigua. The storm continues its westerly track at 14 mph. While it is difficult to predict the path of the storm outside of 72 hours, it is likely that Irma will impact Florida at some point this weekend.

In an effort to give you advance notice of any changes while also taking into account the most accurate forecast information, we will be providing updates on any impacted sailings no later than 2 days in advance of departure.

The following sailings are canceled:

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation and please know that we made the decision with the safety and comfort of our guests and crew in mind. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

The following sailings are departing as scheduled:

Adventure of the Seas: September 9 Southern Caribbean cruise

Grandeur of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

Liberty of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Serenade of the Seas: September 10 New England/Canada cruise

Vision of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

The following sailings are currently being evaluated and we will provide our next update at 6 PM EDT:

Allure of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Anthem of the Seas: September 9 Bermuda cruise

Empress of the Seas: September 9 Cuba cruise

Harmony of the Seas: September 9 Eastern Caribbean cruise

Oasis of the Seas: September 10 Eastern Caribbean cruise

For all guests currently sailing with us, the Captain and team onboard will be providing you specific updates at noon and 6 pm daily, and of course will update you immediately if anything changes.

Should we need to make an itinerary change or cancel a sailing to avoid the storm, we will reach out to guests directly, as well as update our website and social media feeds immediately. Please know that the safety and comfort of our guests are our top priority and we will continue to provide regular updates throughout the week.

For more frequent updates, please follow our meteorologist on Twitter @JamesVanFleet or visit the Royal Caribbean Facebook page.

I am on this cruise as well and getting a bit concerned, but nothing can compare for the preparations that the Caribbean and Floridians are dealing with right now.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the impact zone.

Hi all, First-time curiser! following very closely with Hurricane Irma as well. trying not to panic but I am leaving on the Sept 15th from FLL ( Harmony of the sea ) .. should I be concerned? Will there be any trouble flying in / out of FLL ? thanks !

Apparently the announcement earlier today that the Dade County authority may hold mandatory evacuations starting Wednesday have gone undetected in this thread...

That would mean no one in the Miami (and likely Ft. Lauderdale area just North) would be allowed to stay...and the probability of ports being closed would be 100%.

Hi all, First-time curiser! following very closely with Hurricane Irma as well. trying not to panic but I am leaving on the Sept 15th from FLL ( Harmony of the sea ) .. should I be concerned? Will there be any trouble flying in / out of FLL ? thanks !

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Won't know those answers until the storm track is more well known.

Does Florida have laws related to Gouging to cover that situation? . If they don't they should!:rolleyes:

Situation with airfare is on lot of airlines, prices go up the less seats there are available and when they fly out within couple days. Price you paid month ago would be higher last week and lot higher this week. And this week demand will be high as snowbirds fly out early before the storm, my grandparents included...

This is a perfect reason not to book cruises during hurricane season...especially PEAK hurricane season.

Thanks TIPS....pretty useless post for the 100's of people who's one week cruise vacation is on the brink of being ruined...:rolleyes:

Apparently the announcement earlier today that the Dade County authority may hold mandatory evacuations starting Wednesday have gone undetected in this thread...

That would mean no one in the Miami (and likely Ft. Lauderdale area just North) would be allowed to stay...and the probability of ports being closed would be 100%.

Once that happens, it will pretty much force RCCI's hands unless they have already made the call. At this point, it is still unknown what exactly is going to happen. More than likely any cruises to at least the eastern side of FL will not do anything (come in or go out) this weekend, but there are still forecast changes that could happen as it gets closer and models tighten up more.

Once that happens, it will pretty much force RCCI's hands unless they have already made the call. At this point, it is still unknown what exactly is going to happen. More than likely any cruises to at least the eastern side of FL will not do anything (come in or go out) this weekend, but there are still forecast changes that could happen as it gets closer and models tighten up more.

The verdict will likely be in tomorrow...

Thanks TIPS....pretty useless post for the 100's of people who's one week cruise vacation is on the brink of being ruined...:rolleyes:

I have sailed 7 times in the last 12 years in SEPTEMBER and have never had bad weather.....at all, ever....as a matter of fact, last years Anthem sailing was the smoothest the Captain said they had all season....

and being from the East Coast, I know the "hurricane" season inside and out...just a very active period this year....and I feel for ya....I am due to go out on 9/9 myself.....

I have sailed 7 times in the last 12 years in SEPTEMBER and have never had bad weather.....at all, ever....as a matter of fact, last years Anthem sailing was the smoothest the Captain said they had all season....

and being from the East Coast, I know the "hurricane" season inside and out...just a very active period this year....and I feel for ya....I am due to go out on 9/9 myself.....

I lived 27 years in central Florida and I too know the ins and outs of hurricane season. Of course there are times that you won't have ANY issues with hurricane's...and then there are times like this! Again, I see all the stress and worry that people are having and I choose not to cruise during this time (we cruise twice a year) mainly to avoid having this type of stress to start a vacation. I realize that many people cruise during this time because of the great deals they can get...but, when you end up not being able to cruise at all, or are stuck on a ship in rough waters for longer than expected...why put yourself through that?

In the 27 years that I lived in Florida, I never had any problems with hurricanes...that is until 2004 when we were hit four times in a row with Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne. All of use in central Florida never thought we would have a problem because we never had one before...with the exception of Donna in 1960 (before my time). However, there is always the chance. And this particular storm is being compared to Donna. It is catastrophic for sure.

My thoughts are with everyone who is going to miss out on their cruise, but my prayers and heart go out to those in the path who will suffer greater devastation and loss.

Have been on 3 in September with perfect weather, this will be the 1st sept upset (Hurricane) issue :o

If that's true, that's awesome.

Trying to book for another sailing at a good rate is going to be a challenge. Any idea if the 25% credit Royal is offering can be combined with the employee discount?

I just checked and NCL is offering 50% future credit for anyone on the cancelled cruises. If you are on a cruise now that is going to be cut short, they are offering 25% and refunding the lost days of the cruise.

I also found it interesting that the Escape is going to port on Thursday and allow people off if they are local or can get a flight. But they are encouraging all others to stay on the ship. They are leaving port Thursday night and aren't sure when they will return.

Carnival hasn't announced any changes yet that I can see on their site.

While it wouldn't be fun to have your trip cancelled, I would rather know sooner than later.

Miami-Dade County will begin evacuations for Zones A and B, beginning Wednesday. The Keys have started evacuations. I assure you, NO cruises will be leaving Florida this weekend. NCL has already cancelled all cruises this weekend. I don't know if Carnival or Disney has cancelled or changed anything yet.

I know it sucks when your vacation plans go awry, but please, keep in mind there are quite a few Floridians on this board, myself included, that are pretty darn nervous and scared right now. You think you want answers about what to do? Trust me, I would LOVE to know what to do, and where Irma is going for sure.

Just try to keep it in perspective, please. ;)