Hurricane Irma Watch

Latest GFS model run still suggesting a run right up the middle of FL over the weekend.

The Euro model won't be out until pre-dawn hours this AM. We'll see what that one brings.

But so far not a lot of good news and the predictions of the moment would suggests a great deal of disruption for anyone trying to get off of or on to a ship in FL this weekend.

I'm following this topic closely. Me and a group of 8 are coming all the way from Brazil to be on Oasis next Sunday. Our flight is this Tuesday to Miami. We are going to stay a few days in Orlando until we can board the ship (if we can...). I already did another hotel reservation in case of a cancelation.

I have no idea what to expect of a hurricane, since in Brazil we don't have this. All we know is what we see in TV or the Internet, and it is not good at all... We all are scared a lot.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, guys!

Bring motion medicine! The patch is the best from a Dr. Sea bands you can wear. At best you are going to rock and roll! The patch is behind your ear and is time released! If you get here without it I would go to a walk in clinic or something to get a prescription for it, they work!

Overnight runs of both the GFS and Euro models bring the storm up the middle of the state. Euro has it clip Cuba enough to weaken some, GFS has a major storm almost the whole way up.

We're flying to Austin Friday morning.

If you have cruise plans, you should probably expect a delay if not outright cancellation. The good news is that it's a fast-moving storm and, absent any damage the port infrastructure, should be clear of the state by early in the week.

I booked this cruise in December... never even thinking of hurricanes... I live in Orlando area so they don't usually intimidate me much... it's supposed to be to celebrate my husband and i's 10th anniversary and it would also be my 2 and 3 year olds first cruise... my husbands outlook is things haven't been looking good since I am a started forming, he's already pretty much written off our cruise… I'm still optimistic that we're going to get on this boat someway some form! We are scheduled to be on oasis on the 10th. I hope to see all of you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it comes up the middle of the state,like a lot of the models are showing, we (east coast) will be in big trouble. Worst side to be on.

I'm west of Daytona, where 3 of 4 of the 2004 storms lingered for days. My manufactured home survived those, last year I had impact resistant windows put in, but no shutters. I am up in SC and NC, until the 15th, so I guess time will tell what I will find if I can get back home. Glad I prepared before I left home, would be sad to lose personal items that are not replaceable.

If they evacuate Southern FL this weekend will they automatically cancel the cruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IRMA is now a Category 5 hurricane. Bad news for Southern Florida.

Based on prior action, RCI will not automatically cancel cruises if Southern FL is evacuated. Look at what they did last week in Galveston. The Galveston port and Huston airports were closed, and RCI did not cancel the Aug 27 Liberty cruise until that day.

8:45a ET UPDATE:

-Hurricane Irma Becomes 'Extremely Dangerous' Category 5;

-Florida Declares Emergency;

-Airlines Cancel Flights, Issue Travel Waivers

-Royal Caribbean to Announce More Itinerary Changes Tomorrow

LATEST HERE

Would like to know where you are getting your info, the links provided will not open for me....am on Harmony hoping to be back sat am, fly home to Tampa, or not?....thank you.

Would like to know where you are getting your info, the links provided will not open for me....am on Harmony hoping to be back sat am, fly home to Tampa, or not?....thank you.

Not sure what the policy is for external links. But most of that info is available from the National Hurricane Center in their regular updates. That should be easily accessible via google.

Several sites show the latest model runs as they're released. The model data is incorporated into the NHC forecasts but the models give potentially useful info beyond the NHC five-day forecast window. Again googling "latest GFS model" and "latest ECMWF model" should find you those.

Right now there is a range of predictions from Sunday morning to Sunday night for U.S. landfall timing, but both models have it in the mid-keys at some point Sunday. From there both models have it coming up the state with slight variations East or West.

If that holds, I would imagine it will be hard to get into port on Sunday. Intensity forecasts also vary, with the Euro model projecting some interaction with Cuba that would weaken the storm and it being down to a Cat 2 by the time it reaches Central FL while the GFS projects a big Cat 5 and a major hurricane all the way up the state.

Obviously a weaker storm and more easterly track would be better for Tampa.

145912_most_likely_toa_34.png

I expect flights to stop on Saturday for central and south Florida.

I don't think you will see any flights on Sat and Fri will be limited at best. Once evac orders go up, probably tomorrow or Thurs at latest there will be no staff come Fri and Sat.

I'm really interested to see what RCL expert meteorologist James Van Fleet has to say regarding Irma. Cause this guy kept insisting until the very last moment that Liberty of the Seas will dock at Galveston as originally planned and the next cruise will go out as originally planned. Despite us here in Houston seeing the worst conditions this city ever faced.

I'm really interested to see what RCL expert meteorologist James Van Fleet has to say regarding Irma. Cause this guy kept insisting until the very last moment that Liberty of the Seas will dock at Galveston as originally planned and the next cruise will go out as originally planned. Despite us here in Houston seeing the worst conditions this city ever faced.

Statements like that are getting old