Hurricane Irma Watch

Hi all, First-time curiser! following very closely with Hurricane Irma as well. trying not to panic but I am leaving on the Sept 15th from FLL ( Harmony of the sea ) .. should I be concerned? Will there be any trouble flying in / out of FLL ? thanks !

We are on the same cruise and flying in on Friday also. I am all ready planning for a cancelled something. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just checked and NCL is offering 50% future credit for anyone on the cancelled cruises. If you are on a cruise now that is going to be cut short, they are offering 25% and refunding the lost days of the cruise.

I also found it interesting that the Escape is going to port on Thursday and allow people off if they are local or can get a flight. But they are encouraging all others to stay on the ship. They are leaving port Thursday night and aren't sure when they will return.

Carnival hasn't announced any changes yet that I can see on their site.

While it wouldn't be fun to have your trip cancelled, I would rather know sooner than later.

That's interesting that the Escape is going to port Thursday and leaving again...

And definitely, the sooner the better. That way arrangements could be made for those flying in, etc. Hopefully we get word from RCI tonight.

Hi all, First-time curiser! following very closely with Hurricane Irma as well. trying not to panic but I am leaving on the Sept 15th from FLL ( Harmony of the sea ) .. should I be concerned? Will there be any trouble flying in / out of FLL ? thanks !

This storm will be well gone by the time the 15th rolls around. Your only concern is damage to infrastructure (airports and port) and no one will know what that looks like until after the weekend.

Currently on the Harmony of the Seas enjoying the beautiful weather in Falmouth Jamaica. I understand that we will not be coming into Fort Lauderdale on Saturday as scheduled but am becoming increasingly concerned that we will not be able to make it on Friday either. It's my understanding from reading these threads that there will be an announcement at 6 PM. I am concerned that the ports of Miami and Fort Lauderdale will close on Thursday due to lack of personnel who have been evacuated. Any thoughts?

Currently on the Harmony of the Seas enjoying the beautiful weather in Falmouth Jamaica. I understand that we will not be coming into Fort Lauderdale on Saturday as scheduled but am becoming increasingly concerned that we will not be able to make it on Friday either. It's my understanding from reading these threads that there will be an announcement at 6 PM. I am concerned that the ports of Miami and Fort Lauderdale will close on Thursday due to lack of personnel who have been evacuated. Any thoughts?

Nothing to do but wait for the announcements.

Tropical storm force winds will close the port. You don't want to be dropped off at the port in the middle of a mandatory evacuation either. There is already a run on gas, water, batteries and supplies.

The mayor of Miami Beach has requested that all tourists cut short their vacation and leave the area. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and we have decided to go to Orlando on Thursday and monitor the situation from there. Just want people to know that inexpensive hotel rooms in Orlando are selling out, our friends called 90 minutes after we made a reservation near Sea World and the hotel was already sold out. The 5 PM advisory was still too early to know if Irma will go to East Coast or up the West Coast, so it is very much a watch-and-wait-to-see-what-happens type of situation for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have friends on this cruise...veteran cruisers, but first-time Royal cruisers.

Has RCCL told you that you won't be coming in on Saturday? but Friday?

I think that this is one case where you have to take a breath and hope that RCCL makes the best decision for your safety.

Friends just got off of the Liberty (Harvey) and they ended up staying on the ship an extra week with Royal making sure everyone was safe, had their meds, etc. (no cost) I am hopeful for everyone aboard and wish you an enjoyable cruise....even with all of this stress. Believe what the captain tells you and NOT the ship gossip and guessing.

Best to you.

Kathy

Tropical storm force winds will close the port. You don't want to be dropped off at the port in the middle of a mandatory evacuation either. There is already a run on gas, water, batteries and supplies.

I definitely don't want to go into port with tropical storm force winds. I'm from Orlando so I would like to get home to secure my own property. I did stock up on hurricane supplies previously so I feel pretty good about that.

That's interesting that the Escape is going to port Thursday and leaving again...

And definitely, the sooner the better. That way arrangements could be made for those flying in, etc. Hopefully we get word from RCI tonight.

Not really. When ports close, ships must be removed. And I truly hope Royal updates tonight for those of you sailing this weekend. Hopefully, they learned from Harvey fiasco.

1800Z GFS model is yet again further east. Looks like it might predict no FL landfall for the eye at all.

No guarantee that holds, but it would be a very good outcome if other models and forecasts started to converge. We could see a lot of one-day delays as the thing runs by and then business-as-usual.

Usual caveats: too early to be sure, NHC forecast is the best gauge, etc.

1800Z GFS model is yet again further east. Looks like it might predict no FL landfall for the eye at all.

No guarantee that holds, but it would be a very good outcome if other models and forecasts started to converge. We could see a lot of one-day delays as the thing runs by and then business-as-usual.

Usual caveats: too early to be sure, NHC forecast is the best gauge, etc.

GFS and Euro have had their disagreements today

Latest Royal Caribbean Update

September 5, 2017 - 6:00 PM EDT (next update at 12 noon tomorrow)

We are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma’s path and its potential impact to our current and upcoming sailings. Royal Caribbean’s Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, is closely tracking the storm’s progress, and the current forecast is as follows:

Hurricane Irma is a category 5 hurricane with sustained winds around the center at 185 mph and is currently located about 210 miles east of Antigua. The storm continues its westerly track at 15 mph. While it is difficult to predict the path of the storm at this time, it is likely that Irma will impact Florida at some point this weekend.

In an effort to give you advance notice of any changes while also taking into account the most accurate forecast information, we will be providing updates on any impacted sailings no later than 2 days in advance of departure.

The following sailings are canceled:

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 - Bahamas cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 8 - Bahamas cruise

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation and please know that we made the decision with the safety and comfort of our guests and crew in mind. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

The following sailings are departing as scheduled:

Adventure of the Seas: September 9 Southern Caribbean cruise

Grandeur of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

Liberty of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Serenade of the Seas: September 10 New England/Canada cruise

Vision of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

The following sailings are currently being evaluated and we will provide our next update at 6 PM EDT:

Allure of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Anthem of the Seas: September 9 Bermuda cruise

Empress of the Seas: September 9 Cuba cruise

Harmony of the Seas: September 9 Eastern Caribbean cruise

Oasis of the Seas: September 10 Eastern Caribbean cruise

For all guests currently sailing with us, the Captain and team onboard will be providing you specific updates at noon and 6 pm daily, and of course will update you immediately if anything changes.

Should we need to make an itinerary change or cancel a sailing to avoid the storm, we will reach out to guests directly, as well as update our website and social media feeds immediately. Please know that the safety and comfort of our guests are our top priority and we will continue to provide regular updates throughout the week.

For more frequent updates, please follow our meteorologist on Twitter @JamesVanFleet or visit the Royal Caribbean Facebook page.

6pm GFS is crazy different from Euro. GFS shows no eye hitting Florida but NC in the path. Euro still showing clobbering of Florida.

Weather is perfect here in Cozumel as the Allure preps to make way for who knows where.

Two global dynamical models with very different expectations for the strength of the ridge that will determine where it makes its turn. Hopefully over the next 24-48 hours we'll see some convergence as the real steering conditions emerge (and selfishly, hopefully it looks more like the current GFS run than the Euro run).

We were informed on RCCL web site that we would know at 6pm if our Harmony cruise leaving on Sept. 9th would be cancelled and guess what was posted, another wait until tomorrow at noon. People, like us, that live in Florida(northwest), can't drive down because there is already a gas shortage in south florida and by Sat., there probably won't be any gas to get, also by Sat. they probably will turn the interstate into going north only. :mad: We live on the gulf coast, so praying it does a sharp right at least and not get in the gulf. Stay safe everyone.