Oasis 10 Sept - Possible change of Departure Port

Hi,

We are booked on 10th Sept on Oasis from PC and flying in from the UK on 9th Sept. Naturally im getting more and more jittery about the prospect of issues re this sailing due to Irma. Something that was quoted by the RCI meteorologist is that Oasis could sail from another port if required but didnt specify which. This surprises me as I assumed all of the reachable ports would be within the affected area. However im not the expert so if this is the case what ports are possible alternatives? Im just trying to evaluate how realistic it would be to land in Orlando on the Sat late afternoon and then drive to the alternative location.

This is cruise no10 for us and although we have had some dodgy weather we havent been at risk of cancellation of the entire cruise. We are coming to Orlando regardless as have a 2 week vacation planned with the 2nd week in Orlando anyway but would be great for me to start a contingency plan for all possible scenarios.

Any advice that you can offer based on previous experience would be a great help.

Thanks

I live in Florida dealt with tons of hurricanes....I doubt highly they change the port, because it appears as of right now all the ports can have some impact whether rain, wind or the hurricane, its too early to tell what path it will take.

My guess, she won't be leaving from any other port but her home port, but she has to get back so I am thinking, the current cruise she will just ride out somewhere and wait for the hurricane to pass unless she has a good chance getting back the day earlier and everybody has the chance to disembark before she hits (if she hits).....as of the model it shows currently, I do not see any ships coming in or leaving on Saturday and just possibly Sunday....again, in two more days we have more knowledge where the hurricane will go. As a Floridian, I am hoping she dip more southwest and avoid the entire state, time will tell.

The RCI Meteorologist is saying exactly that - They are considering an alternative port should the weather require. I appreciate people saying its not possible but he s suggesting the captain is already saying this is the first of 4 back up plans he has.

As its a moving target I suppose its tough to know

The RCI Meteorologist is saying exactly that - They are considering an alternative port should the weather require. I appreciate people saying its not possible but he s suggesting the captain is already saying this is the first of 4 back up plans he has.

Is this the same meteorologist who SWORE that there was a "window" during Harvey where the ship would be able to get in? He still has a job??

I am only seeing him say different ports for itinerary stops not for embark/debark, but I may have missed it. Link to that post or tweet?

I am only seeing him say different ports for itinerary stops not for embark/debark, but I may have missed it. Link to that post or tweet?

I "think" they are getting it from this tweet She had asked about the 9/10 OA sailing

James Van Fleet‏ @JamesVanFleet 4h4 hours agoMore

James Van Fleet Retweeted Ally Kraemer

1) Gut feeling? Need another day or two to have high confidence in forecast track. If PCN isn't open, I would suggest leaving from another

Here is the Tweet thread... Seriously @JamesVanFleet? Change ports??

From @AllyKraemer - 7:28 AM - 4 Sep 2017

@JamesVanFleet starting to worry about our honeymoon cruise from Port Canaveral on Sunday, Sept 10. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Response from James Van Fleet (official RCCL meteorologist) - 7:33 AM - 4 Sep 2017

Gut feeling? Need another day or two to have high confidence in forecast track. If PCN isn't open, I would suggest leaving from another Port. If we can do that, I would expect we make a decision whatever is best option next 1-2 days to notify guests so arrangements can be made. Again, nothing official yet, and still feel too early to make a call and rearrange everything, etc just yet, but we should be communicating a decision tomorrow or Wednesday latest

The key statement in his response is "If we can do that". Seriously James? Are you making these responses up? Please keep to the weather and don't suggest complete logistical nightmares as a solution as a response to a tweet.

If embarking at a different port is actually being considered... OMG.

Edited by LidoBoy

We live in Florida also and came from the outer banks area of North Carolina and Va. Beach ,Va and also have been through quite a few. Can tell you for sure will not be Tampa, as Skyway only can accommodate 90,000 ton class . they will keep watching and make sure they can make the turnaround on debark/embark day or will divert for another day if needed before they will divert to another port. We are on the 24th so watching the next that just coming off Africa. Bob & Nancy:):):)

I "think" they are getting it from this tweet She had asked about the 9/10 OA sailing

James Van Fleet‏ @JamesVanFleet 4h4 hours agoMore

James Van Fleet Retweeted Ally Kraemer

1) Gut feeling? Need another day or two to have high confidence in forecast track. If PCN isn't open, I would suggest leaving from another

They really need to get that guy off of twitter.:rolleyes:

They really need to get that guy off of twitter.:rolleyes:

From the "Hurricane Irma Update" page on rccl.com...

For more frequent updates, please follow our meteorologist on Twitter @JamesVanFleet or visit the Royal Caribbean Facebook page.

I agree reallyitsmema, someone needs to call this guy. And if he was the one that called for a window of opportunity in Galveston, then he needs to be totally off twitter.

Exactly!!

I'd say off staff!! After the Liberty debacle and his insistence on a "window" that literally NO ONE ELSE saw, I would not trust his "gut feelings" at all.

There was a window for Galveston on Sunday, it was fairly clear at the Island. BUT the problem wasn't in Galveston, it was the roads leading to the Island that were blocked with water. So technically he was correct

There was a window for Galveston on Sunday, it was fairly clear at the Island. BUT the problem wasn't in Galveston, it was the roads leading to the Island that were blocked with water. So technically he was correct

There is no window of opportunity to bring a ship into a port that is closed and had been closed for days.

The latest tracks have the Hurricane still off the coast of Cuba on Saturday. I am no expert but I would think Port C is far enough north for the Oasis to leave As expected. Ships out of FLL or Miami might be a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The latest tracks have the Hurricane still off the coast of Cuba on Saturday. I am no expert but I would think Port C is far enough north for the Oasis to leave As expected. Ships out of FLL or Miami might be a different story.

Oasis is on a Western itinerary this week and its last two days are Cozumel and then day at sea. The issue is will it be able to return to POC on time. Current prediction models puts Irma in the Oasis return route unless they can be routed south of Cuba, which would cost RCL lots in fuel. But that may be too far for an on time return to POC.

Hang in there folks, the entire story will play out over the next week. I love the suspense. ;);p But then I don't have any skin I the game.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately Oasis is due back on Sunday...and that's when I am supposed to get on. :(

Unfortunately Oasis is due back on Sunday...and that's when I am supposed to get on. :(

We are also due on Oasis Sunday. Our problem is that we're driving down to Ocala on Friday, picking up a relative in Tampa on Saturday AM, overnighting in Orlando then on to POC on Sunday. There may not be a decision before we leave Friday AM and we'll be heading directly into it.

Oh well.......time will tell. Just hope RCCL makes a decision before the last minute.

We are also due on Oasis Sunday. Our problem is that we're driving down to Ocala on Friday, picking up a relative in Tampa on Saturday AM, overnighting in Orlando then on to POC on Sunday. There may not be a decision before we leave Friday AM and we'll be heading directly into it.

Oh well.......time will tell. Just hope RCCL makes a decision before the last minute.

James Van Fleet (RCCL meteorologist) has been letting everyone know on Twitter that they plan on making announcements on Wednesday.

With the latest advisory, Sunday will be a no go for a return to home port. By then, she would be facing severe weather conditions. The same is true for ships leaving out for Fort Lauderdale and Miami this weekend, including three day cruises. Time will tell but I suspect the return to home port for several ships will be delayed.

caec929f97843e92306c2303847c6cac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums