Ketogenic Diet

globe9

I'll be on the Breeze in a few weeks and I'm doing a ketogenic diet, which is basically low carb(try for under 20g a day).

Breakfast should be easy with eggs, bacon and sausage however I need real eggs, not powdered. Does that mean dining room every morning?

Dinner should be pretty easy with a meat and veggie selection, but I wonder about high sugar sauces?

Lunch, I'm assuming there will be more than just bunless burgers, which get old? Would be nice to have a veggie selection instead of fries.

Also, I drink coffee, but only with heavy cream for the high fat content. Can I ask for this in the lido deck buffet? I'm aware they'll have 1/2 and 1/2 but I prefer heavy cream.

I may cheat with a sugar free dessert a few times. Any idea on if they have low sugar ice cream or sugar free cheesecake etc?

Any other tips?

I doubt you'll be able to get heavy cream for your coffee.

On the lunch buffet, there is generally a carved meat and a steamed or sautéed vegetable selection. There is also an extensive salad bar with a large variety of common and less common raw vegetables.

I have been limiting my carbs for many years now and been on many cruises.

It is very easy to eat low carb on a cruise and the problem is always the alcohol not the food.

Breakfast on lido is perfect for you, every protein is available, just ask for cracked eggs at the omelet station.

Lunch varies but there is always some kind of carved meat along with salad and cheeses.

Dinner in the MDR always has some kind of delicious protein, just ask for the sauces on the side.

Have fun,

Howard

There is also always the salad bar at lunch where you can get all kinds of veggies. I believe the deli will make you an (unwich). And if you are someplace with Blue Iguana, just do a taco bowl and don't eat the shell- you can load it with meat, cheese and veggies. If you have monglian wok you can get them to do a stir fry without sauce and just add soy.

Check to see if they have the little shelf safe creamers (I think they make those in full cream) and you could carry those aboard.

I don't believe any ships use powdered eggs. What are used for cooking, as well as scrambled eggs at the buffet are "pasteurized egg product", which are whole eggs taken from the shell, pasteurized, and a homogenizing agent is added to keep the whites and yolks from separating. This comes onboard in 2 gallon jugs. The ships would prefer not to add the step of reconstituting eggs before cooking, so the pasteurized egg product is the perfect choice, also considering that it removes the potential for illness from undercooked or raw egg (like hollandaise) by being pasteurized. Very likely the scrambled eggs in the MDR are bulk eggs as well.

I've been on a keto diet for a few months and just got back from a cruise. I didn't stick with it, but was mindful still. You can't get heavy cream for your coffee, half & half is about it, which is what I use at home anyway because heavy cream is so much more $$$. I had the flat iron steak in the MDR and it was excellent and any sauce was in a dish on the side. The burgers were excellent and I loved the toppings bar where they had bacon crumbles and caramelized onions, raw onions, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, etc. Blue Iguana can also be a good choice. The burrito line was always long, so I opted for chicken tacos and ate the tortillas (fresh and so worth it!). Lots of salsas and pico to choose from with shredded cheese. I saw lots of people with giant burrito bowls. I'm about to step on the scale this am for the first time since our 10 day vacation. I did enjoy a few chocolate melting cakes without any guilt. Hopefully, the damage is not too bad and I'm excited to get back to eating keto again.

Hi Globe

They do have "real" egg at the buffets every day...any way you like. (fried, scrambled, hard boiled etc..)

The food available is quite extensive, so I can't imagine you running out of choices while avoiding carbs.

As far as high sugar sauces, that when it is nice to be the chef. You can always ask, but I can imagine them not being accurate. If it is not an imperative, you should accept that your count might be off a little, after all you are trying to enjoy your vacation.

have a great cruise

As others have said, eating Keto on a cruise is actually fairly easy. You'll have to make some adjustments (no farm-fresh eggs, fewer full-fat sauces/creams, lack of free-range meat, grass-fed butter, etc.), but overall, you can eat high fat, low carb on a ship and stay under 20 carbs. Hitting your macros may be difficult, but your body can handle that for a week.

Drinks are an issue - but the same issue at home. Stick with light beers (Carnival has Mich Ultra) and vodka or other carb-free liquors with calorie/sugar free mixers (soda water, diet soda, etc.).

I've been doing Keto for a little more than 3 months, and... I'm totally going to blow it. Don't care. I'm going to go carb crazy. This cruise is a vacation, and I've prepared for it by dropping too much weight. Once I'm off the cruise it'll be back to discipline and routine, but for these 7 days, I'm embracing gluttony.

My only concern with going all out and off that woe is negative side effects that could hamper the vaca. I know if I am limiting sweets and breads but then have them in large quantities, I get headaches and stomach aches that are unpleasant. I am planning to for a cruise and researching on making wise choices. Sounds totally doable if the willpower is there!

I've been doing Keto for a little more than 3 months, and... I'm totally going to blow it. Don't care. I'm going to go carb crazy. This cruise is a vacation, and I've prepared for it by dropping too much weight. Once I'm off the cruise it'll be back to discipline and routine, but for these 7 days, I'm embracing gluttony.

Yes, me too!! I've been on Keto for over 2 years now, but always enjoy my meals on our vacations. It's tough the first few days back home, and back on the program - but it is always do-able.

Choco melting cake and yummy cocktails...here I come!

If you're going off keto I would start winding that down the week before and not go straight from 10g to EAT ALL THE PIZZA or you might become good friends with the bathrooms :) Not that I'd know that from personal experience *cough*.

• Like 1

My wife started Keto about a month ago so by default I pretty much did too.:o Overall, not the worst diet I've ever been on. I mean how can a diet that lets you eat all the bacon you want be all bad?!

I haven't been quite as strict as she has; I've been more "low carb" than full Keto, but we've been on enough cruises to have already planned out our eating. No going "carb crazy" but we are going to enjoy ourselves and splurge a little.

But to answer your main question, you should have no problem staying on track and you should be able to find a good variety of foods to keep it from getting monotonous.

@HazelSmrf Looks like I'll be packing some high quality toilet paper, and spending some quality 'me time' away from the family! Cheatogenic diet, here I come! :)

My stomach never got upset, thankfully. I weighed in yesterday and was up 4.2 lbs, which I was surprised it wasn't more after 10 days off plan. Got back on board yesterday (with keto, that is, not back on board the ship unfortunately...) and lost 2.8 of that overnight. I had my share of some pizza and had the melting cake 3 nights and tried the bacon mac & cheese. I did keto burgers because I'd put so many toppings on them that I'd never have been able to eat them on a bun anyway. The fries were pretty worth it too with some malt vinegar sprinkled on them.

I've been Keto for a little over a year now and love to cruise. Don't feel like you have to eat just because it's time to eat. Eat when you are hungry. Also with coffee, have you tried Quest MCT oil powder and Coconut oil? you could bring that onboard with you.

Or, you can try and stick to low carb as much as you can without having all the added sugar and grains. Let me know if I can help.

There are ways to stay Keto and cruise!

I'll be on the Breeze in a few weeks and I'm doing a ketogenic diet, which is basically low carb(try for under 20g a day).

Breakfast should be easy with eggs, bacon and sausage however I need real eggs, not powdered. Does that mean dining room every morning?

Dinner should be pretty easy with a meat and veggie selection, but I wonder about high sugar sauces?

Lunch, I'm assuming there will be more than just bunless burgers, which get old? Would be nice to have a veggie selection instead of fries.

Also, I drink coffee, but only with heavy cream for the high fat content. Can I ask for this in the lido deck buffet? I'm aware they'll have 1/2 and 1/2 but I prefer heavy cream.

I may cheat with a sugar free dessert a few times. Any idea on if they have low sugar ice cream or sugar free cheesecake etc?

Any other tips?

I am arriving late to this thread so I am sure you've gotten all the answers that you need (and probably advice you didn't need) but I follow South Beach Diet and always find everything I need.

For eggs, go to the omelette station - worth the wait but they will make you eggs over easy/medium/hard etc. there for you. You can eat steak or chicken off the every day menu - it has no sauce. Most things that do you can ask for it on the side.There is a salad bar (some new salad options on some Serenity Decks), usually have cold cuts too to add to the salad. You can do tacos with the trimmings sans shells, etc.

Talk with someone at guest services when you get on board. When my MIL was on a restricted diet the chef came to talk to us because we were doing chef's table but they were very accommodating!

You can ask for two of the bacon patties at the burger stand, and then go make your own delicious Cobb salad (personalized, of course) at the salad bar. Sometimes, I ask for the two bacon patties, no burger, lettuce and tomato - add mayo and I've got a fabulous BLT. And I think (not positive) if u mention low carb , or diabetic diet to MDR staff, they will come to your table and assist you in making dietary choices. (A friend we sailed with tried to be as gluten free as possible - asst dining room hostess brought her the menu and conferred with her every dinner.). Of course temptations are there - it's a CRUISE where every indulgence is indulged - yippeee !