What about ports/islands that are damaged/devastated by hurricane Irma?

pal2pluto

If a cruise line makes poor decisions during a crisis, they deserve to have condemnation heaped upon them, but why a customer would care about that is beyond me. It's not like they own the company, or someone insulted their butt ugly child. Some cruise lines have handled this hurricane admirably and some have stumbled, to put it politely.

I am wondering what will happen as well. We are sailing on the Glory in November to HMC, St. thomas, grand turk, and San Juan...how long does is usually take to receive a revised intinerary? I know it won't be until after the hurricane is over in Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am also on this sailing and hoping there won't be a revision! Is this just wishful thinking!? I'd rather cancel all together then go elsewhere.. I've done western Caribbean 3 times already.

Are you all paid or just the deposit? if just deposit, would make it much easier...

Our cruise is Oct, 7 and goes to St, Thomas out of Port Canerval. I wonder if they will change that. I hate to drive all the way there to see Western Caribeean when I can drive 40 min to New Orleans instead. We are all paid so I sure hope they let us switch.

I'm on this itinerary on the Vista on 11/4 and I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about the chances of this itinerary actually occurring, especially SXM like you mentioned. I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that they switch this 8 day Eastern to an 8 day Southern, instead of going Western and adding more sea days- but that is probably naive. The Vista does currently have an established 8 day Southern route though, so I'm loosely holding on to that dream. No clue as to an expected date of itinerary updates, but I'm thinking it won't come until at least Tuesday when offices re-open.

I am on the 11/4 Vista also, I won't mind the Southern Itinerary either, as long as they don't shorten the cruise I don;t care where they take us. I just hope they let us know ASAP so we can book different excursions.

It's just not going to devistate the Caribbean islands. The entire eastern ports of Florida are going to take a direct hit! I live here and have a cruise planned for Sept 16th out of Miami. I'm not expecting at this time to go. Please just pray for everyone's safety at this time.

Hello :-) I believe I am on the same cruise. Carnival Sensation 5 day cruise first stop Nassau? I did see carnival pushed back the 9/11 departure of the ship we are scheduled to be on to 9/13. That's a 3 day cruise to Nassau. So I don't see how they can go on a 3 day cruise and have our cruise still leave on the 16th? I am a cruise virgin and am coming from California so any updates you hear if you could please keep me updated and I will do the same if I hear anything. Thank you and Stay safe new friend. - Anthony

We are scheduled on Carnival Glory Sept 30- Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan... I'm devastated for the residents of these islands... and concerned for our own safety with the possibility of other hurricanes.. assuming we still sail out of Miami.. no news from Carnival yet...

We are scheduled on Carnival Glory Sept 30- Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan... I'm devastated for the residents of these islands... and concerned for our own safety with the possibility of other hurricanes.. assuming we still sail out of Miami.. no news from Carnival yet...

I wouldnt worry about embarking, unless there is another hurricane during that time. As far as ports, I would assume HMC and SJ wont be a problem, the other two I would guess will be changed.

I am also on this sailing and hoping there won't be a revision! Is this just wishful thinking!? I'd rather cancel all together then go elsewhere.. I've done western Caribbean 3 times already.

The cruise line may substitute ports other than the usual Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Cayman western. Those will be overfilling from all the lines diverting their ships there.

Maybe Progresso, Costa Maya and Jamaica will see increased cruise traffic.

I've done the western at least 15 times, but I don't get bored with it and I can always find a new experience when I go there.

For all those looking for answers about your upcoming cruise, you will not be able to get an accurate answer UNTIL the authorities can get to the ports and advise of re-opening dates. Depending on the damage, that answer could come within a week or two or it could be a couple of months with projected opening dates well into the spring.

I understand that this causes frustration for many and just hope that those of you who were dead set on a particular route either have not made final payment, or if you did, choose cancel for any reason insurance. This is very much a buyer be ware circumstance and I can predict with almost 100% certainty in the weeks and months to come we will see COUNTLESS posts on how horrible Carnival is for changing the itinerary and refusing to give people a refund. But that is the contract you agreed to and the way to protect yourself was insurance.

I am fortunate enough to have cruised to most all the places I really wanted to see, but do have a few upcoming - Progresso in December and and island hopper (with new ports of St. Kitts, St. Lucia and Barbados) in March. We may or may not make either St. Thomas or St. Martin on the island hopper, and as I have been to both, would be thrilled with Dominica or another substitution; we had planned to snorkel in both St. Thomas and St, Martin and neither will have good snorkeling in many areas for years to come depending on storm surge and the beating the reefs took.

But I also recognize that we still have A LOT hurricane season to weather (excuse the pun) - for those of you not aware, it runs THROUGH NOVEMBER 30! Storms peak in September and into early October. Any of the above ports that I have yet to visit could also be targeted by mother nature. A cruise encompasses the risk that your detestation may or may not be accessible come cruise time, and the closer you are to hurricane season, the higher your chance you might miss your port. If you want to see a particular Caribbean location, a cruise is not the best way to do that; instead, plan a land vacation far outside of hurricane season.

And in the meantime, for all those concerned about their vacation, please try to approach cruising, Carnival and any line for that matter with your eyes open, a great attitude and most importantly, flexibilty.

For all those looking for answers about your upcoming cruise, you will not be able to get an accurate answer UNTIL the authorities can get to the ports and advise of re-opening dates. Depending on the damage, that answer could come within a week or two or it could be a couple of months with projected opening dates well into the spring.

I understand that this causes frustration for many and just hope that those of you who were dead set on a particular route either have not made final payment, or if you did, choose cancel for any reason insurance. This is very much a buyer be ware circumstance and I can predict with almost 100% certainty in the weeks and months to come we will see COUNTLESS posts on how horrible Carnival is for changing the itinerary and refusing to give people a refund. But that is the contract you agreed to and the way to protect yourself was insurance.

I am fortunate enough to have cruised to most all the places I really wanted to see, but do have a few upcoming - Progresso in December and and island hopper (with new ports of St. Kitts, St. Lucia and Barbados) in March. We may or may not make either St. Thomas or St. Martin on the island hopper, and as I have been to both, would be thrilled with Dominica or another substitution; we had planned to snorkel in both St. Thomas and St, Martin and neither will have good snorkeling in many areas for years to come depending on storm surge and the beating the reefs took.

But I also recognize that we still have A LOT hurricane season to weather (excuse the pun) - for those of you not aware, it runs THROUGH NOVEMBER 30! Storms peak in September and into early October. Any of the above ports that I have yet to visit could also be targeted by mother nature. A cruise encompasses the risk that your detestation may or may not be accessible come cruise time, and the closer you are to hurricane season, the higher your chance you might miss your port. If you want to see a particular Caribbean location, a cruise is not the best way to do that; instead, plan a land vacation far outside of hurricane season.

And in the meantime, for all those concerned about their vacation, please try to approach cruising, Carnival and any line for that matter with your eyes open, a great attitude and most importantly, flexibilty.

Right on. Hurricane or not, you never know if you are going to make certain ports. Thats just part of cruising. If making it to 'XXXX' port is the most important thing in the vacation, just fly there and stay the week. Flexibility is the best advice, ESPECIALLY in hurricane season.

,choose cancel for any reason insurance. This is very much a buyer be ware circumstance and I can predict with almost 100% certainty in the weeks and months to come we will see COUNTLESS posts on how horrible Carnival is for changing the itinerary and refusing to give people a refund. But that is the contract you agreed to and the way to protect yourself was insurance.

That is a very broad and misleading statement. Even "Cancel for any Reason" has caveats rendering the policy worthless in certain events. For example, for loss of job, one must read the 'fine print'.....can't be used if haven't been in job for 1 year, and some for 2 years prior etc.

We have always purchased travel insurance, and 2 times have needed unfortunately to invoke the "cancel for any reason" and have NOT been able to do so due to 'fine print' stipulations rendering our reason and needs to not 'fit' the travel insurance stipulations. So yes, as you say, 'buyer be aware'......travel insurance is NOT always the end all coverage for ANY reason, and does NOT protect at ALL times!! :eek:

My travel agent told me this morning that she was informed that cruise ships would not be docking at the heavily damaged islands until next year. We cruise on the new Carnival Horizon on October 6, 2018

We are on the Conquest on Feb 17th and this is my concern as we were supposed to go to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Maarten and St Kitts. Honestly if the port is open I do not want to visit if the island is in disarray. Do you think Carnival will do this? I am beginning to wonder if it would be best to take the $50 penalty per person and switch to a different itinerary now.

We are on the Conquest on Feb 17th and this is my concern as we were supposed to go to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Maarten and St Kitts. Honestly if the port is open I do not want to visit if the island is in disarray. Do you think Carnival will do this? I am beginning to wonder if it would be best to take the $50 penalty per person and switch to a different itinerary now.

I was thinking about this too. In addition to the ports being in disarray, I would also be concerned about a temporary increase in crime against tourists from those who have lost everything. I really do feel badly for those people, but my safety is important to me.

That is a very broad and misleading statement. Even "Cancel for any Reason" has caveats rendering the policy worthless in certain events. For example, for loss of job, one must read the 'fine print'.....can't be used if haven't been in job for 1 year, and some for 2 years prior etc.

We have always purchased travel insurance, and 2 times have needed unfortunately to invoke the "cancel for any reason" and have NOT been able to do so due to 'fine print' stipulations rendering our reason and needs to not 'fit' the travel insurance stipulations. So yes, as you say, 'buyer be aware'......travel insurance is NOT always the end all coverage for ANY reason, and does NOT protect at ALL times!! :eek:

It is not perfect, but still the best option for the vast majority of cruisers.

My travel agent told me this morning that she was informed that cruise ships would not be docking at the heavily damaged islands until next year. We cruise on the new Carnival Horizon on October 6, 2018

Carnival has not made any decisions on affected ports until it can decided what needs to be done and how long it will take. How could a TA know this, sounds like guessing to me.

Carnival has not made any decisions on affected ports until it can decided what needs to be done and how long it will take. How could a TA know this, sounds like guessing to me.

I agree. If the news, islands, and cruise lines don't know...your TA doesn't know either.

We are scheduled to leave Sept 16th out of Port Canaveral for 8 days. Grand Turks, San Juan, St Marteen, St Kitts. I have been hammered for saying anything against how carnival has handled this. So be it. Yes I realize its hurricane season. I knew that when I booked. I prefer to cruise when kids are back in School. I have been burned on the travel insurance gimmick. So I didnt take it. I feel like as many people that keep saying thats my fault for booking during this time and not taking it, that its my fault. So be it also. Were all allowed an opinion. Im not blaming Carnival for the storm, Im blaming them for how they have handled it. 4 days til cruise and we still know nothing. We live in Ky and have to consider travel times and hotel at Port for prior nights stay is closed, I75,I10 exchange is closed because of flooding. There are alot of factors that are going to create obstacles to get there. (None which would be covered by the insurance) we are bringing both sets of inlaws and ourselves and have booked excursions at each port. So we have spent a signifigant amount of money. We both have taken vacation days from work. A year went into planning. Im grateful we werent on the boat during this storm. Hate the loss of life and devastation to these areas we love. Im not blaming any of this on anyone but I do think carnival owes their customers some explanation and for me a signifigant amount of money. Seems like they are putting profit first. If I cancel I loose a considerable amount of money. If they cancel I get a full refund. So tomorrow Im loadinv up 4 elderly and my husband bags and all to make my way to an area without electricity and running water for a cruise I may or may not take because IM not willing to let carnival just take my money.

We are scheduled to leave Sept 16th out of Port Canaveral for 8 days. Grand Turks, San Juan, St Marteen, St Kitts. I have been hammered for saying anything against how carnival has handled this. So be it. Yes I realize its hurricane season. I knew that when I booked. I prefer to cruise when kids are back in School. I have been burned on the travel insurance gimmick. So I didnt take it. I feel like as many people that keep saying thats my fault for booking during this time and not taking it, that its my fault. So be it also. Were all allowed an opinion. Im not blaming Carnival for the storm, Im blaming them for how they have handled it. 4 days til cruise and we still know nothing. We live in Ky and have to consider travel times and hotel at Port for prior nights stay is closed, I75,I10 exchange is closed because of flooding. There are alot of factors that are going to create obstacles to get there. (None which would be covered by the insurance) we are bringing both sets of inlaws and ourselves and have booked excursions at each port. So we have spent a signifigant amount of money. We both have taken vacation days from work. A year went into planning. Im grateful we werent on the boat during this storm. Hate the loss of life and devastation to these areas we love. Im not blaming any of this on anyone but I do think carnival owes their customers some explanation and for me a signifigant amount of money. Seems like they are putting profit first. If I cancel I loose a considerable amount of money. If they cancel I get a full refund. So tomorrow Im loadinv up 4 elderly and my husband bags and all to make my way to an area without electricity and running water for a cruise I may or may not take because IM not willing to let carnival just take my money.

Carnival's policy has been to try to let people know 48 hrs in advance....wait til 9/15 to make your drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are scheduled to cruise out of Miami on 9/16. I have decided to take this approach... We are going on a Mystery Cruise. Where we end up will be a mystery. Yes, this is cruise #17, and yes I have my favorite ports and the ones that I really don't care to visit again. We had been to St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay before, and were looking forward to San Juan for the first time. I have no idea where we are going to go but oh well. If we don't like the port, we will stay on the ship.

One thing my husband and I discussed is that those affected by the hurricane need our help. They need our tourism dollars. No, the island may not be perfect. No, we may not get the shore excursion we had hoped for, but I'm going to take the "glass half full" approach and just remember that a day on a cruise ship beats a day at work.

We are scheduled to leave home on Thursday with early am flights out Friday, ship sailing Saturday. We have prepaid everything. Our hotels told us we could cancel if needed because of the hurricane.

Cruising is all in the perspective.... Plan on having a great time and you will. Plan on being critical of everything, and you will be miserable.