Anthem: New Evening Dress Code - MALL WEAR

compman9

Just educate me, when was the last time that you saw a complementary full lobster on the menu in the MDR. I've sailed on the Oceanic, which to this day had one of the best selections and fantastic quality in food standards and no full lobster on the menu. Ditto for the Italian Line. I can still remember the midnight buffets on both lines.

With regards to being rude, I'm from the metro area and we've developed thick skins over the years, but expect the same rudeness from my part. You hide behind the "simple observation" terminology, but IMO you come across as horrified with Paxs that do not meet your dress standards.

This is the problem with social media. You make a comment, someone who has no idea who you are judges you upon said comment and is rude to you. You then respond, and they are doubly rude back. It's a great shame because if these pointless social media spats were replaced with personal meetings and discussions, people invariably get on.

For what it's worth, I will reiterate what I have already said several times on this thread - my observation is based on not having taken an RCI cruise from the US for a couple few years.

And if my chosen cruise line wants people to dress scruffily, they should say so. I will be more than happy to adhere to their dress code.

As it is, they detail a suggested dress code and most people refuse to adhere to it. Or, as those that choose not to adhere to it at all would say, "I don't care if they want to set a standard on their vacation, I will dress how I want."

That's a different issue altogether. They don't enforce it because they don't want to, or are not directed to. if that's the rule, then enforce it. Just make it clear that the food is the same in the other MDRs and I don't think people would be bent out of shape, at least the vast majority of them. They could make people sign up for formal dress MDR just like a specialty restaurant. And make it CLEAR that there's no admittance if you don't meet the dress code, and direct them to the other MDRs.

I agree, it's a nice thought, but there will always be the large party with one person who doesn't want to follow the rule, but will want to eat with the others.

That's a different issue altogether. They don't enforce it because they don't want to, or are not directed to. if that's the rule, then enforce it. Just make it clear that the food is the same in the other MDRs and I don't think people would be bent out of shape, at least the vast majority of them. They could make people sign up for formal dress MDR just like a specialty restaurant. And make it CLEAR that there's no admittance if you don't meet the dress code, and direct them to the other MDRs.

For a 7 day Caribbean cruise I bet the take rate is 20% or less.

We are not new to cruising. We have done the formal night stuff before and speaking from experience.... I disagree with you on both points. And, I have no lack of imagination.

30 cruises and I too could care less for formal night and nor does my family, we will dress enough ( No suits, no ties) but the clothes does not make our experience any different or better on any of our cruises

I just dont get how other people's clothes affects other cruises? I have no memory of what anyone has worn on a cruise including my own family but we do remember the good times we had on a ship. Just Amazing, dress as nice as you like and have fun and worry about your own good time

Take it easy, if you want to wear a tuxedo in the middle of the Caribbean go ahead! Your going on a ship with rock climbing, surfing,bumper cars,basketball and all kinds of things like that! Me personally I think you belong on another type of ship or cruise line!

It's been a while since my last short RCI trip, but on a 5 day to Bermuda last week, I saw something that surprised me

I know a lot of Americans no longer want to 'dress up' but the days of classy cruising have clearly finally disappeared. I was one of just 6 tux wearers on formal night (there may have been more, but in the theatre and main dining room, plus everywhere else we walked that night, that is all I saw). There were also very few ordinary suits

It seems that shorts and T-shirts are now de-rigueur in the main dining room for some, and the main dress code appears to be Jeans and a polo shirt. Or, just what people might wear to the mall

The 9 day to Canada I disembarked from yesterday was a little less scruffy and a fair few more people made more of an effort. I find it a bit of a shame, but customer is king and if that's what the current passenger wants I will also dress down in future

Flame away folks

I'm with you brother, but we're a dying breed.

Entitled, socially illiterate, physically unfit, optically obtuse & sartorially sorry individuals are the rule of the day. They're everywhere.

These people are touched. I swear most of the under 40's I meet are somewhere just short of Asperger's on the Autism Scale.

They have so many complaints, it's truly traumatic to be them.

"Packing a suit makes my suitcase heavy." Get to the gym cupcake.

"It's hot." The ship has air con & deodorant is available onboard.

"I don't like fixed dining time." You're right, we forgot, the World now revolves around you and your whim of the minute schedule.

"I don't like to sit with strangers for dinner" We know, face to face interaction is a skill and you don't have it.

"I have to talk to people all day at work and this is a vacation." Please, if you were at all skilled in the art of conversation you would realize that speaking with me is an exercise in drawing you out and I'm going to make you feel like a star. I'm not trying to sell you insurance.

"I paid for this vacation." We all did. Back in the day, part of that payment went to knowing that part of the cruise experience meant dressing for dinner, meeting new people, & enjoying the atmosphere. We understand that you have no idea why you showing up in shorts on formal night kind of blows that for us. I'm sorry you never went to the Prom.

So yes, I've given up on most of the cruise lines. I'm smart enough to read the writing on the wall.

It's your loss though.

I think baggage prices on airlines have played the biggest role into easing MDR clothing requirements...I mean, when you are paying per bag, do you want to pack 3 outfits per day (swim, day, and night) or 2 or even less? And how many shoes? Multiply that by 4 people in a family and it's easy to see why a lot of people might prefer to ease up on dress standards.

I didn't even think about this because I don't usually fly - but it is so true! Every cruise I go on I try to pack less so multiple outfits within a day is not something I'm eager to pack and carry. Esp. if it would cost me more as well.

Gee, you sound like you'd be a blast to sail with.

I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want to be just like you.

Entitled, socially illiterate, physically unfit, optically obtuse & sartorially sorry individuals are the rule of the day. They're everywhere.

These people are touched. I swear most of the under 40's I meet are somewhere just short of Asperger's on the Autism Scale.

"I don't like fixed dining time." You're right, we forgot, the World now revolves around you and your whim of the minute schedule.

"I don't like to sit with strangers for dinner" We know, face to face interaction is a skill and you don't have it.

"I have to talk to people all day at work and this is a vacation." Please, if you were at all skilled in the art of conversation you would realize that speaking with me is an exercise in drawing you out and I'm going to make you feel like a star. I'm not trying to sell you insurance.

"I paid for this vacation." We all did. Back in the day, part of that payment went to knowing that part of the cruise experience meant dressing for dinner, meeting new people, & enjoying the atmosphere. We understand that you have no idea why you showing up in shorts on formal night kind of blows that for us. I'm sorry you never went to the Prom.

So yes, I've given up on most of the cruise lines. I'm smart enough to read the writing on the wall.

It's your loss though.

I didn't even think about this because I don't usually fly - but it is so true! Every cruise I go on I try to pack less so multiple outfits within a day is not something I'm eager to pack and carry. Esp. if it would cost me more as well.

Yes, we usually drive to the port. On our next 12 night we'll be flying Southwest and we'll be using our two free bags. :)

There is a practical limit of how much you can pack either way, though, because there's only so much room for you, your clothes, and your suitcases in the cabin. Pick too big of a suitcase and you won't get it under the bed!

It's your loss though.

What a crock! You probably go around your house in a blazer, top hat, and smoking a pipe.. Hey, those days Dr. Welby where are you. I laugh when I see an oldie program like Peter Gunn and others, and he's in a suit chasing the bad fellows.;p

It's your loss though.

Eating at a table with just the family is looking better and better all the time.

It's your loss though.

+100000000! Great post... Hilarious. :'):'):')

It's your loss though.

You've made me feel like a star just be reading your post. Thank you.

I will jump back in here and say, it was not my intention to open another formal/not formal clothing thread - not least because I am fully aware that the majority of cruisers may not share the same dress code descriptions as others

I merely wanted to mention how the standard of dress has dropped on RCI out of the US since we last regularly cruised with them

It is the only vacation style that has a dress suggestion, and it is one that was mostly adhered to. Perhaps it is the Americanisation of cruising. Perhaps it is the theme park style cruise ships. I don't know, but...

...Someone has already alluded to it, but the end result of all of this will be - people will no longer recall days when it was full lobster rather than lobster tails, but when it was lobster tails and now it is a tiny shrimp. Waiters will be wearing shorts in the main dining room and you will be getting burgers

what's wrong with burgers?:p

There is cruise lines available with a more refined atmosphere if that's your thing. For me, slacks and a polo is formal. I live in South Florida. The last 2 weddings I've been to have been on the beach with linen pants and shirts. Not everyone comes from the same lifestyle and culture as yourself. Considering you are in the Caribbean, I'd say tuxedos are hardly the norm... Style is changing and island formal is not generally tuxedos.

There is cruise lines available with a more refined atmosphere if that's your thing. For me, slacks and a polo is formal. I live in South Florida. The last 2 weddings I've been to have been on the beach with linen pants and shirts. Not everyone comes from the same lifestyle and culture as yourself. Considering you are in the Caribbean, I'd say tuxedos are hardly the norm... Style is changing and island formal is not generally tuxedos.

Palm beach, ditto. Anything more than slacks and polo at work and everyone gets to wondering "what's up". Our beach wedding was resort style as well, no suits. One of the top rated beach resorts in Palm Beach County Just not interested in traditional dress.

Palm beach, ditto. Anything more than slacks and polo at work and everyone gets to wondering "what's up". Our beach wedding was resort style as well, no suits. One of the top rated beach resorts in Palm Beach County Just not interested in traditional dress.

The Breakers? :)

The Breakers? :)

No, south of there.

Most weddings in Florida that are outdoors have been slacks and a resort style shirt or button up with open collar; no button downs, no tie. One person had an outdoor wedding at 5PM on Memorial Day with formal wear. Everyone was ready to drop dead.

We just got off a 7 night on Harmony. My husband typically wears a suit on formal nights, but we had our 25 year old son with autism on this trip. I put him in pants and a nice button down short sleeve. On non formal nights, he wore shorts and an nice shirt. I always wear dressy dresses because I like to, and don't really care what others wear. There's a lot of boards and posts on other websites where people whine that they dint want to dress up on their vacation. Personally, I feel these people should stay in the buffets, but whatever. If you're comfortable in a tux, I say continue to wear it. I will continue to wear my sequined dresses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you enjoy dressing up, please do. But why should those that do not be banished to the buffet? We always dress in accordance with the suggested attire for the evening, including formal night. However, I don't let it bother me if other people choose not to do so. People watching is always a good source of entertainment. 😁

• 3 weeks later...

I just had to pipe in to give my opinion. I just returned from a cruise 2 weeks ago. I did not take my tux. On the formal nights I did miss it. This upcoming cruise I'll be wearing it. I like to get dressed up! If you don't, you don't. Just don't get on my case. What I'm trying to say is dress however you want. It's your vacation. Just don't be surprised if they refuse you admittance to certain places because you're not dressed right. If that's the case either go somewhere else or go change your clothes. Problem solved. To be refused admittance to the MDR you really have to be dressed like a slob!

So, flame on! However, I would save my ire for a more appropriate subject, like smoking!

Elvis