I need to read a good book!

Ukigirl

Allingham's Albert Campion mystery books are available on Kindle. They're mysteries, with some element of espionage since many of them take place in England during WW II. But the mystery isn't the most wonderful thing in these. The characters are outstanding. That woman could develop a character more fully in the space of a paragraph than most can do in an entire book. If you like books that are more about the characters than the actual plot, these are winners. If not, then not.

Lots of good choices mentioned in this thread. I just may pick up some of them. I just finished "Italian Ways - On and off the Rails" Rather amusing detailing all of the idiosyncrasies of the Italian rail system. Particularity amusing as frequently visiting relatives there and using the Italian rail system, I certainly could relate! And "The Kelloggs - Battling Brothers of Battle Creek". I never knew they opened a HUGE sanitarium/hospital and couldn't stand each other (in addition to making breakfast cereal)

Any book by John Sanford. :)

Great thread; I have also picked up some ideas.

I usually bring, read and leave books in the ship's library.

I second anything by John Sanford...

also - since you are on a ship the Horatio Hornblower series is great reading.

Love espionage, read all Crichton, Baldacci, Follett, Le Carrie. I do like trashy romance novels too, please don't tell anyone as this is my dirt little secret.

I am not much into espionage, though I do like Follett. Have you read his two Medieval books? They may be the best things I've ever read; however, as wonderful as they are, they are serious reads.

Right now I'm reading the Kingfountain series by Jeff Wheeler -- loving it. It's an easier read than Follett (and by that I mean, you can read it along with an adult beverage and still understand what you're reading). If you like fantasy meshed with a touch of real-life history, try it.

Recently I read The Secret Wife (by Gill Paul), which you might enjoy, as it is a bit of a mystery meshed with history (specifically, the massacre of the Romanov family -- many liberties taken, but I really enjoyed the book).

I also like the occasional trashy romance novel. Anything by Karen Marie Moning is going to be good.

Hope to take either paperbacks or download to Kindle. Always walk by ship library but never stopped in, should I?
Stop in, but have something ready on your Kindle. The library is mainly populated by books left behind by previous posters, and as more and more cruisers use e-readers, the pickings are more slim. Personally, I like to have more control over my choices.
Op has read all of Follett, but he has a new book out this past week. It is "Column of Fire" and is the third book in the Kingsbridge series (Pillars of the Earth).
I HAD NO IDEA HE HAD WRITTEN A THIRD BOOK IN THAT SERIES. I AM SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW! Edited by MrsPete

i love jodi picoult. and for lighter reading i always enjoy marian keyes.

happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just finished Small Great Things. What a corker of a book! I think I grew as a person as a result of reading it, and I know it will stay with me.

Marian Keyes - love her earlier work such as Rachels Holiday and Watermelon. Think maybe she has gone off a bit lately though?

For those who like detective type things - Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro series are very enjoyable.

I know they have been out a while - but I reread the James Herriot books every few years - about a vet's life in Yorkshire in the 30"s and 40's. Extremely well written and funny!

I second this! Herriot had a gift for writing about time and place with a dry sense of humor that was often hilarious without insulting the reader. There was also a good late 1970's BBC television series based on his vet books.