Extra tip with drinks? Just curious...

momof4girls

Do you tip extra on top of the already included 15% with each drink?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip extra on top of the already included 15% with each drink?

• Yes
    • No

I think it comes down to culture. In the USA it is imperative to tip. In Europe and other parts of the world less so. In the U.K. Bartenders do not expect tips, but are grateful if they get one. Usually, if eating as well as drinking we would add 10% to the bill and the servers are happy. That's why in London bars the servers enjoy serving Americans.

From experience a conversation with a server about their work, family and homeland gets you good service too.

My son lives in New York and his local bartender and friend drives a new Mercedes and has an expensive flat. In the U.K. They are often paid the minimum wage. Different cultures put different values on workers in the service industry.

Europeans tend to tip for exceptional service where as Americans expect to tip for adequate service (15% plus). If I am in New York I tip 20% as it is the custom. I think Americans export their culture and tip on the same basis as when they are at home ( and why not), which makes for wealthier and happy servers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly!

To the original poster if you tip $1 extra per drink they will remember you and give you great pours and fast service. 25 year bartender here :)

Money is universal everyone everywhere loves it!

Yup. I tipped a certain waiter well and every day I never was without a drink! The bartender i tipped well always gave me a long pour on the alcohol. Money talks.

The waiter had my folio number memorized lol. He was a hoot so I went online and gave him a glowing review as well. We had so much fun I’d ask him what area he’d be working later and go there.

(which we won't do again because I figured out we spent 200.00 more as a couple then if we would have paid as we went. And trust me, we drank ALOT).

first of all when someone says"trust me", I can think of one, it's usually not true. I guess A LOT is less than 6 drinks a day which is break even with Cheers, especially in the Alchemy Bar where drinks are usually $10 and up.

If you can drink 6 martini's from Alchemy every day I applaud you! I have never been on a ship where Alchemy is open before 4:00 and 2 of those martini's and I'm good!;p

On my last cruise, I always tipped at least a $1 for each drink. This time, I'm not getting the drink package, and won't be able to tip as much for a variety of reasons. (Let's just say that this cruise was not planned, as I won it through MyVegas games, and right after I booked it, several big buck items in the house and the car went to hell in a handbasket ALL AT ONCE!) :eek:

I am feeling horribly guilty that when I do get a drink that I won't be able to tip as much as I would like. Should I be feeling bad that I can't be as generous as I have been in the past? :o

With the cheers package, we treat the included gratuity of $7.50 per day as tip for non alcoholic drinks like soda and water. Although, I do still tip at the coffee bar.

We tip $1 a drink for our alcoholic drinks in cash.

I carry a small wallet sized purse with cash, room cards, lipstick, and cell phone. Just replenish the cash from the safe as needed.