This is crazy

Drill2dk

Most of San Juan should have power back by the end of this week, or beginning of the next one.

And not one Puerto Rican zombie sighting reported yet.

To all of you who are supporting us by not cancelling your vacations, GRACIAS!

AoS, if you could find at least ONE Zombie by March, my son will be your biggest fan forever :cool:

Today is a beautiful day here in San Juan. The Viking (Ocean) Sea is in port for three days (end of repositioning, then turn around tomorrow, then first Southern Caribbean of the season). The passengers are enjoying walking tours of Old San Juan and Horseback Riding near El Yunque Rainforest.

On Saturday the Adventure of the Seas returns for its fourth turnaround since the storm.

Most of San Juan should have power back by the end of this week, or beginning of the next one.

And not one Puerto Rican zombie sighting reported yet.

San Juan is 500+ years old. It has survived cannibal and pirate attacks. It has endured dozens of invasion attempts. Sacking, looting and burning. Wars. Bombardments. U-boat blockades. Hurricanes too many to count. It has survived this one. Viking and RCI and very soon NCL passengers are having a rare opportunity to witness a live story of resilience and survival AND enjoying themselves while they do that. Which is perfectly fine and welcome by us locals.

Are you a tourist or a traveler? Tourists go to Orlando and Las Vegas and other sanitized, make believe "destinations". Travelers will continue to come to Puerto Rico and islands beyond. Destinations that are for real, "as is, where is", where hurricanes are part of life. The "Life in the Tropics" that we love to share with you so much.

Viking Sea is the ship we will be sailing on in March and I’m looking forward to my pre-cruise visit. We are travelers. We don’t care for fake. We never considered canceling we will be there!

Sorry to hear about the zombies. We were booked for that excursion [emoji33]. Guess we will have to settle for a horseback ride!

See you in March!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Omg get a hobby! OP isn't here because they probably don't want to talk with you about this anymore. Move on with your life! This was solved two days ago now.

Solved 2 days ago? Really? All of the islands are cleaned up and back to normal? So soon? Did the OP accomplish this? Well, bravo! So I guess there’s no need to discuss it any longer. We’ll all just move along - nothing to see right? [emoji33][emoji15] SMH! [emoji849]

Thank you to Aviator of the Seas for contributing your wonderful post!

Viking Sea is the ship we will be sailing on in March and I’m looking forward to my pre-cruise visit. We are travelers. We don’t care for fake. We never considered canceling we will be there!

Sorry to hear about the zombies. We were booked for that excursion [emoji33]. Guess we will have to settle for a horseback ride!

See you in March!

Here's the website.........it does say temporarly closed, but they seem to be accepting reservations.

http://greatroomescape.com/oldsanjuan/

...San Juan is 500+ years old. It has survived cannibal and pirate attacks. It has endured dozens of invasion attempts. Sacking, looting and burning. Wars. Bombardments. U-boat blockades. Hurricanes too many to count. It has survived this one....

De nada! The pleasure is ours.

I booked a couple of days ago and we will be back there in mid December and I appreciate your reassuring comments.

But one question: how are the cats doing? Were the volunteer providers of food and shelter able to help the felines during & after the storm?

Stan

Im sorry I have been gone for while, see RCL pushed off st Martin to 3rd week of December. Let see how that works. Look at the news more politicians going with supplies. Again, not saying we should never go back. Just saying it might not be fair to go back so soon when there not ready. Donate money, go on there and give community service. Don't go there for vacation, because they can't handle it. Look I love the islands as much as all of you. We just differ on what we think. I still think RCL is going back too quick. But its ok, I know RCL is listening now. Thanks for the debate.

PS no need to attack each other just because we have differing opinions, that is not the goal of this forum.

Gosh but this thread has certainly polarised views, I tend to agree with elements of both sides of the discussion, but I assume that the local authorities are taking into account both the views of the locals who want to see their tourist jobs back up and earning asap, as well as taking into account the preparedness of the Islands to cope with the cruise ship influx.

There is no correct answer, but blaming RC for their ships being among the first back seems a bit unfair to me.

I agree. And let us not forget that RCI takes supplies in and listens to the authorities. I think this post ans othets ate getting mean spirited

I agree. And let us not forget that RCI takes supplies in and listens to the authorities. I think this post ans othets ate getting mean spirited

I think many post get to be mean spirited, it seems you cannot ask questions or have any opinion unless you've cruised dozens and dozens of times. or post 1000's of posts. :o:o:o:rolleyes::(:(

Royal is listening to the governments. They aren’t listening to you.

Giggling at your idea of who exactly got attacked in this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know what you mean Molly, I saw the posts you were referring to, I think they are gone , but they were pretty disgusting what they posted, mine was removed because I tried to show that I was in touch with someone in SXM and it showed a business name , yet others showed businesses and got to stay on the thread, I don't understand this board anymore, I hesitate to post or ask anything or add to a post even with information anymore. Why has it changed to be so hard to post???:(:(:(:(

De nada! The pleasure is ours.

I booked a couple of days ago and we will be back there in mid December and I appreciate your reassuring comments.

But one question: how are the cats doing? Were the volunteer providers of food and shelter able to help the felines during & after the storm?

Stan

Not sure about the Old San Juan cats but we have our own colony a little farther east in the Ocean park/Calle Loiza neighborhood. I had 18 cats, now I have over 25!

Our favorite jewelry salesman on St M called Mr Ski earlier in the week to see what date we would be there this Nov/Dec. Mr Ski told him and he said they would be so excited to see our group. Well, the next day is when RC announced the ships won't be returning to St M until mid Dec. So I emailed our salesman to tell him we unfortunately would not be able to see him this Nov/Dec.

Here is the reply I just received from him:

Good afternoon.

It was really nice to hear from you.

We are opening the store from 1 st November 2017 so the cruise people

should know that we are ready.

Yes RCL cruise was coming on 5 th November but now they said they are

coming in December.

Thank you for your updates.

Please tell everyone to help us by buying jewelry from our website

"ABCDEFGHI

.com".

We need you guys more than ever at this desperate times.

I will be very happy to see you all.

Thank you again.

Our favorite jewelry salesman on St M called Mr Ski earlier in the week to see what date we would be there this Nov/Dec. Mr Ski told him and he said they would be so excited to see our group. Well, the next day is when RC announced the ships won't be returning to St M until mid Dec. So I emailed our salesman to tell him we unfortunately would not be able to see him this Nov/Dec.

Here is the reply I just received from him:

Good afternoon.

It was really nice to hear from you.

We are opening the store from 1 st November 2017 so the cruise people

should know that we are ready.

Yes RCL cruise was coming on 5 th November but now they said they are

coming in December.

Thank you for your updates.

Please tell everyone to help us by buying jewelry from our website

"ABCDEFGHI

.com".

We need you guys more than ever at this desperate times.

I will be very happy to see you all.

Thank you again.

Thanks for sharing this.

Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands. Now RCL is saying they will be the first to go back to these ports. I think its horrible, that they would vavaction were so many people are suffering. RCL should be giving money and time for these people to heal. I feel its not cool to be vacationing while people are living without food, power and clean water.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them this is wrong 305-539-6455.

The people that live on the islands rely on these ships and tourism to survive financial. Totally understand how you feel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think they did a lot to help those in need during/after the hurricanes. Also, so many people in the Caribbean depend on tourism that it's a good thing the cruiselines are going back.

Agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a few moments, I felt the same way as the OP. But then I realized, the businesses on these islands need cruise ships to return. They need the money now more than ever. They can't rely on income from fellow residents so tourist have to come back and regenerate their economies. RCCL has done a great deal of humanitarian efforts i.e. delivered food, supplies, taken people to safety, etc. They can't do that forever.

USE THIS AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO HELP. Bring extra clothes, calling cards, sanitary napkins, diapers, etc. with you to donate. Bring extra money. Find out if there is an opportunity for you to volunteer for something while on these islands. There are so many ways to handle this productively vs making angry phone calls or walking away from the opportunity.

For a few moments, I felt the same way as the OP. But then I realized, the businesses on these islands need cruise ships to return. They need the money now more than ever. They can't rely on income from fellow residents so tourist have to come back and regenerate their economies. RCCL has done a great deal of humanitarian efforts i.e. delivered food, supplies, taken people to safety, etc. They can't do that forever.

USE THIS AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO HELP. Bring extra clothes, calling cards, sanitary napkins, diapers, etc. with you to donate. Bring extra money. Find out if there is an opportunity for you to volunteer for something while on these islands. There are so many ways to handle this productively vs making angry phone calls or walking away from the opportunity.

Seems like most people feel this way, the only way to go.

Im sorry I have been gone for while, see RCL pushed off st Martin to 3rd week of December. Let see how that works. Look at the news more politicians going with supplies. Again, not saying we should never go back. Just saying it might not be fair to go back so soon when there not ready. Donate money, go on there and give community service. Don't go there for vacation, because they can't handle it. Look I love the islands as much as all of you. We just differ on what we think. I still think RCL is going back too quick. But its ok, I know RCL is listening now. Thanks for the debate.

PS no need to attack each other just because we have differing opinions, that is not the goal of this forum.

So you know better than the governments on the ground on the islands? What is your source of information?

As I feel that tourism is important, the humanitarian effort is what need now.

The humanitarian effort is ongoing but the jobs and personal income from tourism are what gives the residents the cash they desperately need to rebuild and restart their lives.

When Cozumel got destroyed after Hurricane Wilma the ships came back way before the island was up and running. We came in on a cruise ship in the beginning and the people were grateful and very nice. They NEED the tourism dollars for life there. The island built back so fast with all the money coming in from the ships it was amazing! If you want to donate go in on a ship and SPEND money! Bring donations with you for what they need. You have to understand that what they need is business. Here days after Hurricane Harvey my neighbor went to get her hair done and felt guilty while so many were suffering around her and her hairdresser told her that she needed her as that was her only income and it helped her get back on her feet.