This is crazy

Drill2dk

Agreed with 100%. I’m 45. I don’t drink Kool Aid and I’m not an “old folk” up past my bed time. Not to mention I have posted factual and real information and photos from multiple people on Sint Maartin about it’s state of condition after Irma. The OP and a few select others have passed over them and went for the melodramatics. Why let the truth get in the way. ;)

And you are also an awesome purveyor of fun cruise “live reviews.”

Not crazy! Look at the bigger picture of disaster recovery: PR relies on tourism. No tourists=no business=no recovery.

Here in fire raged NorCal wine country, the two most important recovery strategies right now are:

1. Donate money to established charities authorized to assist with the disaster effort.

2. Support local businesses (B&Bs, wineries restaurants) by following through on travel plans and shopping/staying/dining at locations that have been able to stay open or reopen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am doing my part, going to the Silverado Resort next August.

JC

This thread has outlived it's purpose or usefulness. (If there was a purpose to begin with) Those that do not want to go to St. Maarten will not change their mind and us that are willing to go wont change our minds. And now a few people have turned to disgusting words and talk. The OP refuses to answer questions concerning timing of when they paid compared to the hurricanes and only wants to call the rest of us crazy among other things.

Please close the topic as there is no reason to keep this discussion going the way it's turned.

Holland America, Seaborn, Princess and the entire Carnival group are not changing itineraries at all.. Best decision they could make! Those islands have basically one industry..US! I am looking forward to being there in January. So donate and go! Consider taking a few gifts. Great training for your kids.

You mean starting in December, right? I'm on a HAL cruise next month and both St Thomas and St Martin have been removed from my itinerary.

I’m 45. I don’t drink Kool Aid and I’m not an “old folk” up past my bed time. . ;)

Off topic, and not necessarily directed to A&L, but somehow I feel obligated to explain this reference, as it is still used, and still appropriate some 39 years after the fact.

I know we used it a lot in the corporate setting when I was still working.

In Nov of 1978 a cult leader named Jim Jones had a compound in Guyana, South America, and when exposed as a fraud and worse, convinced 900 followers to drink a Kool Aid type drink laced with cyanide, thus ensuring their own deaths.

To "Drink the Kool Aid" means to be convinced to believe in something blindly and strongly, even if it is not in one's best interest.

Congrats to those who remember this (you may be an old folk :D) , and hope it has enlightened any who don't. I'm sure someone will come in and correct my facts, but those are the basics.

Now back to the bantering about visiting storm damaged islands...

So maybe instead of doing an excursion while on the island you can volunteer and do something productive. These islands need assistance in many forms, money and actual hands on. By having the cruise ships return this can accomplish both. Imagine if even just 5% percent of the passengers on a ship signed up to volunteer how much good could be done. It's all how you look at things. In today's society, we are too quick to be outraged and say whats wrong with everything without stepping back and looking at the whole picture.

Off topic, and not necessarily directed to A&L, but somehow I feel obligated to explain this reference, as it is still used, and still appropriate some 39 years after the fact.

In Nov of 1978 a cult leader named Jim Jones had a compound in Guyana, South America, and when exposed as a fraud and worse, convinced 900 followers to drink a Kool Aid type drink laced with cyanide, thus ensuring their own deaths.

To "Drink the Kool Aid" means to be convinced to believe in something blindly and strongly, even if it is not in one's best interest.

Congrats to those who remember this (you may be an old folk :D) , and hope it has enlightened any who don't. I'm sure someone will come in and correct my facts, but those are the basics.

Lol, no worries. Every now and then there are specials on Jones Town. A very scary yet educational documentary.

So maybe instead of doing an excursion while on the island you can volunteer and do something productive. These islands need assistance in many forms, money and actual hands on. By having the cruise ships return this can accomplish both. Imagine if even just 5% percent of the passengers on a ship signed up to volunteer how much good could be done. It's all how you look at things. In today's society, we are too quick to be outraged and say whats wrong with everything without stepping back and looking at the whole picture.

Not a good idea.

https://www.fema.gov/volunteer-donate-responsibly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread has outlived it's purpose or usefulness. (If there was a purpose to begin with) Those that do not want to go to St. Maarten will not change their mind and us that are willing to go wont change our minds. And now a few people have turned to disgusting words and talk. The OP refuses to answer questions concerning timing of when they paid compared to the hurricanes and only wants to call the rest of us crazy among other things.

Please close the topic as there is no reason to keep this discussion going the way it's turned.

I don't understand why people keep saying threads should be closed.

1) If you have a problem with a specific post or posts, report it. There's a triangle icon for every post.

2) If you don't like the way a thread is going, don't read it.

Seems simple to me.

If you are bored, stop following the thread.

There is sufficient activity of a positive nature to suggest I quoted a minority opinion.

I don't understand why people keep saying threads should be closed.

1) If you have a problem with a specific post or posts, report it. There's a triangle icon for every post.

2) If you don't like the way a thread is going, don't read it.

Seems simple to me.

I agree with that on most threads, but this one is going no where. No one is conceding. We all still have our original idea of where we are willing to go or not willing to go. The OP and a few on her side are just repeating the same things over and over. Cancel already and get on with your lives. They are not going to convince the rest of us to agree with them.

And don't worry, I know how to use the triangle icon.

Wow....it appears the 4 phone calls that were made to RC criticizing their return to St M had more power than we anticipated!😬 Guess those 4 folks have more "pull" than the other 101 of us.

Looks like AD will NOT be visiting St M on 12/2, 12/9, or 12/16 sailings. So far have only received notice from TA on 12/2 sailing changing from St M to St T.

Folks on 12/16 have indicated they received notice of a change also but I don't have yet.

I agree with that on most threads, but this one is going no where. No one is conceding. We all still have our original idea of where we are willing to go or not willing to go. The OP and a few on her side are just repeating the same things over and over. Cancel already and get on with your lives. They are not going to convince the rest of us to agree with them.

And don't worry, I know how to use the triangle icon.

At least it's a change from the dress code and smoking threads. :evilsmile:

OK, so? If people are willing to post, even if it's "yes it is", "no it's not", why does it matter?

Wow....it appears the 4 phone calls that were made to RC criticizing their return to St M had more power than we anticipated!😬 Guess those 4 folks have more "pull" than the other 101 of us.

Seems you are correct! RC Itinerary Update 11am -

"While it was our desire to also return to St. Maarten in November, the island needs a little more time to recover, and we will be returning to this beautiful destination on December 17 with Grandeur of the Seas.

Upon arrival in St. Thomas guests will be able to enjoy a vast array of activities, dining and shopping. Downtown shops are open and have full power, the majority of restaurants and bars are also open, and the boats and catamarans that are used to enjoy the waters of the Caribbean are ready for guests. We are also partnering with the USVI government and Magens Bay Authority to restore Magens Bay, one of St. Thomas’ most popular tourist attractions. The beach will have its pre-opening coinciding with Adventure’s arrival on November 10. Magens Bay will be joined by Secret Sands Beach, Secret Harbor Beach Club, Lindquist Beach, Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, and Abi Beach – all open for guests to enjoy."

I'm sure it was OPs phone call that helped them make the call... ;p

Looks like AD will NOT be visiting St M on 12/2, 12/9, or 12/16 sailings. So far have only received notice from TA on 12/2 sailing changing from St M to St T.

Folks on 12/16 have indicated they received notice of a change also but I don't have yet.

Thanks for the update.

I just looked on the site itienrary updates and it said St Maarten has changed to St John's for 12/9 sailing hmmm would have preferred to give vacation money to St Maarten what is there to do in St Johns?

You can definitely tell the old geezers are posting away because, in retirement, you don't have a limited two weeks of vacation a year, or a business to run that you want to take a break from and enjoy yourself, not pretend to be saintly or FEMA workers.

I'm a retired old geezer, I didn't know that made me a bad guy,

Brand New Update from Royal Caribbean:

"Royal Caribbean leadership recently returned from visits to St. Thomas, San Juan, and St. Maarten. We continue to be impressed with the progress the islands are making to rebuild, and are excited to announce our return to St. Thomas with Adventure of the Seas on November 10, as well as our return to San Juan with Freedom of the Seas on November 30. While it was our desire to also return to St. Maarten in November, the island needs a little more time to recover, and we will be returning to this beautiful destination on December 17 with Grandeur of the Seas. "

Sounds like we should start apologizing to Drill2dk right non-believers?! They said it was too early, and even Royal Caribbean seems to agree. St. Maarten was pushed from November 5th to December 17th.

Not only do I remember the incident, I knew some of the people who flew the bodies back to the US.

And I have visited the site where Jim Jones' house was located. It is not a parking lot.