This is crazy

Drill2dk

I felt like it was wrong to go to these islands before my cruise on Adventure last week. I do not have the kind of money where I could cancel and lose the money. That being said, I cruised last week and am very glad I did. I saw first hand the damage in Sj and spoke to many about the devastation in other parts of PR. I got a view of what they are living with and saw the extent of our help (not enough). The people of the islands we visited were very very happy to see the ships back because their livlihood depends on tourism. I am very proud of what RCI is doing and has done to help the damaged islands. They want us there. I tipped generously and have made a number of donations. I amnot sorry I went and do not feel guilty. My vacation and what is happening in PR and USVI are two separate entities. I really don;t think dunning rcI IS going to make any difference at all JMHO

..best (and most sensible) post on the thread..awesome << fist bump >>

Anthony in NYC

We will also be on the Grandeur on Oct 28th. Hopefully we will see you at the M&M. I agree with you in that we sure would have preferred to go to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Yes, all signed up for the M&M... Would have preferred St. Thomas and St. Maarten even though they are still rebuilding.

I see the conversation is still going. Most of the people who say they would go back, are not. Most of people who giving there opinion, are not going back to islands soon. But I do have a cruise booked, and don't think we should go back in month. I think that RCL originally changed the itinairy and then changed it back after payment was due. The only cruise ship going back this early. They should still give the ports fees that are being expected and the should change there itinary like all other cruise line. I still say, you vacation while other are living and suffering through the destruction of the storm. I say they give the ilsands couple of months and help them get back on there feet so they can accept tourist. PS I know people on both islands and hear what they are saying.

I am not sure where you are getting that most people commenting aren't actually going. I think many folks posting here ARE booked and paid for and planning on going! Mr Ski and I are going for 4 weeks in Nov/Dec. The first week we have 2 other couples with us. The second week that number increases to a group,of 17. All are excited to go to these islands and spend tourist $.

I agree with others.. you are just "sour" on the fact that you chose not to honor your end of the contract while RC chose to honor their side of the contract!

I see the conversation is still going. Most of the people who say they would go back, are not. Most of people who giving there opinion, are not going back to islands soon. But I do have a cruise booked, and don't think we should go back in month. I think that RCL originally changed the itinairy and then changed it back after payment was due. The only cruise ship going back this early. They should still give the ports fees that are being expected and the should change there itinary like all other cruise line. I still say, you vacation while other are living and suffering through the destruction of the storm. I say they give the ilsands couple of months and help them get back on there feet so they can accept tourist. PS I know people on both islands and hear what they are saying.

How would you know most on here are not going? I am in Nov, Dec and 3 times in 2018...

Please don't call me a liar.... I gave my opinion, and respect yours. I'm not complaining whether RCL changed our itinerary or not, and we leave in a few days. St. Maarten said they were available for our visit on Nov. 5 and would have happily visited, but RCL had already rescheduled (only a few days before the announcement).

BTW, they also swapped the order of the other stops, so those that scheduled private excursions had to reschedule those too. And, unfortunately cancel those booked on the island we are skipping, much to the disappointment of those local operators.

Please don't complain if (most) others don't agree with you. I paid my hard earned dollars for my cruises too.

I too responded to this thread in support of returning to the islands... and we're booked on Allure at the end of November (just over 4 weeks away) including a stop at St. Thomas, which has been closed due to the hurricanes. So like others have pointed out, your blanket statements continue to be false.

Proof call NCL and find out that they are not returning until March. Carnival not returning until after the new year, after the re-eval the conditions. Those are facts. Call and see. Why RCL so fast. I AM NOT SAYING DONT GO BACK, JUST GIVE THEM SOMETIME TO GET READY. ONE MONTH IS TOO SOON.

Proof call NCL and find out that they are not returning until March. Carnival not returning until after the new year, after the re-eval the conditions. Those are facts. Call and see. Why RCL so fast. I AM NOT SAYING DONT GO BACK, JUST GIVE THEM SOMETIME TO GET READY. ONE MONTH IS TOO SOON.

Agreed Drill2dk! Time for bed old folks, drink your Kool Aid and head upstairs!

I have to laugh at the name calling and "geezer" comments. Resorting to that demonstrates your immaturity and lack of actual facts/conviction in your arguments. I vividly remember calling someone "old" when I was 21 and she was 30. If only I had known how stupid I sounded!

Wow, what a lively and contentious topic among all the posters. We are cruising on Harmony of the Seas Dec 2. Ship is heading to St. Maarten and to San Juan and Labadee. Been to these islands numerous times before. Lovely Lovely, very welcoming of tourists and very appreciative for our support during our past visits. Now, in their time of need, if we can help, we are there for them. Yes, it may not be picture perfect, but these lovely people need us to support them with our disposable income - our travel income. Kuddos for RCCL for going back. I can guarantee you that each and every RCCL ship that arrives in these islands will be dropping off loads of food and medical supplies. To those people in the threads who are worried about safety, then, stay on the ship. To those mothers who are travelling with their kids, USE THIS AS A TEACHABLE TIME. Teach your children that disaster happens, and show your kids what disaster looks like. They will appreciate their own home much more. RCCL is not going to be able to make everyone happy. At one point, RCCL changed the Harmony of the Seas itinerary to I believe Costa Maya, Cozumel and Falmouth, then recently changed it back to its original itinerary of SJ and SM. RCCL is running a business. They are also limited on the ports to which the Oasis class ships can visit. They know that irrespective of the the ports visited, many of the 6000 plus passengers on these ships are happy to be on the ship, partaking in the activities that are on board. The islands are the gravy here. The ship is the destination. So I say once more, if you are worried about the condition of the islands, stay on the ship, but that would not be very empathetic towards the folks that are suffering. If you are adamant about not going, then look at the cancellation schedule and take a loss if you so choose but then you will have made your choice. RCCL is pretty accommodating in most respects but they have been through hurricanes before and the know when to cut their losses and when to cruise ahead.

Wasn't this supposed to be a poll, but got merged? Op never officially did it or asked for help to set it up.

Seems to me it's about 20 to 1

She has at least two threads. One was a poll (to hear from those who agree with her). They were merged.

Just because I'm posting a lot doesn't mean I'm more than one person. As far as I know I'm the only one without a cruise planned but who is in favor. And I still do not see why I'm being slammed for that.

No, your cruise wasn't changed before then after final payment. People have told you that your timing was off in when you paid and what was known when.

By the time you're there it WILL be a couple months. And the people will be old hands at it all because of other cruises. :)

Carnival is going back in November. You might consider reading some of the posts and clicking on some article links. Your info is old and not correct.

My opinion although a poll wasn't set up. We were scheduled for port stops in St. Thomas and St, Martin for next week on the Grandeur, along with 3 other islands. Our itinerary was changed as late as 2 weeks ago to Martinique and Barbados instead. There was a discrepancy in a St, Martin news article that we were stopping Nov. 5 but RCL had already changed our itinerary.

We would have kept our cruise, even if they did not switch these islands, and still going although they did swap them out. No problem for us but would have preferred St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Haven't been on a cruise we didn't love.... Leaving in a few days for our 26th cruise, and expect to love it too.

Have a great cruise!!!

Wow, what a lively and contentious topic among all the posters. We are cruising on Harmony of the Seas Dec 2. Ship is heading to St. Maarten and to San Juan and Labadee. Been to these islands numerous times before. Lovely Lovely, very welcoming of tourists and very appreciative for our support during our past visits. Now, in their time of need, if we can help, we are there for them. Yes, it may not be picture perfect, but these lovely people need us to support them with our disposable income - our travel income. Kuddos for RCCL for going back. I can guarantee you that each and every RCCL ship that arrives in these islands will be dropping off loads of food and medical supplies. To those people in the threads who are worried about safety, then, stay on the ship. To those mothers who are travelling with their kids, USE THIS AS A TEACHABLE TIME. Teach your children that disaster happens, and show your kids what disaster looks like. They will appreciate their own home much more. RCCL is not going to be able to make everyone happy. At one point, RCCL changed the Harmony of the Seas itinerary to I believe Costa Maya, Cozumel and Falmouth, then recently changed it back to its original itinerary of SJ and SM. RCCL is running a business. They are also limited on the ports to which the Oasis class ships can visit. They know that irrespective of the the ports visited, many of the 6000 plus passengers on these ships are happy to be on the ship, partaking in the activities that are on board. The islands are the gravy here. The ship is the destination. So I say once more, if you are worried about the condition of the islands, stay on the ship, but that would not be very empathetic towards the folks that are suffering. If you are adamant about not going, then look at the cancellation schedule and take a loss if you so choose but then you will have made your choice. RCCL is pretty accommodating in most respects but they have been through hurricanes before and the know when to cut their losses and when to cruise ahead.

Very well said. Thanks for posting. I agree with your post.

I see the conversation is still going. Most of the people who say they would go back, are not. Most of people who giving there opinion, are not going back to islands soon.

So folks aren't allowed to give their opinions if they don't have a cruise booked?

But I do have a cruise booked, and don't think we should go back in month.

You're not. You're returning two months after.

I still say, you vacation while other are living and suffering through the destruction of the storm.

The people will be recovering from this storm for YEARS. So when is it ok to return?

I say they give the ilsands couple of months and help them get back on there feet so they can accept tourist. PS I know people on both islands and hear what they are saying.

1) RCI is giving them a couple months.

2) How are people going to get back on their feet with no money? I"m guessing there's not a lot of insurance.

Great post ty. It's hard to

find just a simple answer of "Are the ports visitable?". So I ask you, I've heard the water isn't swimmable a few of the ports, and word on that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

In Sint Maarten there is a Nature Foundation that has actually been diving the waters to clear hurricane debris out of the beach waters. They systematically clean the water area of the beach to a certain depth for sharp and dangerous debris as well as clear the beach. They give an all clear or set boundaries if there are still large objects such as a sunken boat. Obviously this will take a while as many are volunteers. I have attached a couple of pics from the FB page to give you an idea of what the do, it is interesting reading.

940dd6a95b9ea96950c78291f6f8fa43.jpg

d4cbc4b8aa515938c35b5007aef3eb5e.jpg

f8859046d51e86ed8da5b6390df2811d.jpg

Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands. Now RCL is saying they will be the first to go back to these ports. I think its horrible, that they would vavaction were so many people are suffering. RCL should be giving money and time for these people to heal. I feel its not cool to be vacationing while people are living without food, power and clean water.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them this is wrong 305-539-6455.

Holland America, Seaborn, Princess and the entire Carnival group are not changing itineraries at all.. Best decision they could make! Those islands have basically one industry..US! I am looking forward to being there in January. So donate and go! Consider taking a few gifts. Great training for your kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm still waiting for you to tell us what sailing you are on - Actually, it doesn't matter, because regardless of which, there was no formal announcement of change for ANY December sailings at any point in time. I know this because I was watching them because I AM sailing in December - so your point about people with opinions not actually traveling there is moot with me. I understand you don't want to go to these islands now, but your reasons for outrage regarding final payment and timing of changes are simply inaccurate.

Time for bed old folks, drink your Kool Aid and head upstairs!

Just a quick FYI- I'm 26 years old. From from being 'old folks'. No Kool Aid drinking here. :') You both have made several assumptions throughout your postings that are either exaggerated or just plain wrong.

Just a quick FYI- I'm 26 years old. From from being 'old folks'. No Kool Aid drinking here. :') You both have made several assumptions throughout your postings that are either exaggerated or just plain wrong.

Agreed with 100%. I’m 45. I don’t drink Kool Aid and I’m not an “old folk” up past my bed time. Not to mention I have posted factual and real information and photos from multiple people on Sint Maartin about it’s state of condition after Irma. The OP and a few select others have passed over them and went for the melodramatics. Why let the truth get in the way. ;)

Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands. Now RCL is saying they will be the first to go back to these ports. I think its horrible, that they would vavaction were so many people are suffering. RCL should be giving money and time for these people to heal. I feel its not cool to be vacationing while people are living without food, power and clean water.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them this is wrong 305-539-6455.

Not crazy! Look at the bigger picture of disaster recovery: PR relies on tourism. No tourists=no business=no recovery.

Here in fire raged NorCal wine country, the two most important recovery strategies right now are:

1. Donate money to established charities authorized to assist with the disaster effort.

2. Support local businesses (B&Bs, wineries restaurants) by following through on travel plans and shopping/staying/dining at locations that have been able to stay open or reopen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums