This is crazy

Drill2dk

On our cruise last December the owner at the kiosk right at the port told us she was leaving st m and selling her business. Fwiw.

Beatrix did sell the business, but I don't think she ended up leaving the island. Her original plan was to move to Washington DC, not sure what happened there.

The Belgian Chocolate Box as a business was still up and running prior to the hurricanes, I believe.

Im so confused, why is that nobody care about donating money and time. RCL has allot of money there stock is over 120. They can easily make new ships, why can't they help out the islands.Why is RCL the only cruise liner that is going back now?

Do not dare to question whether I care or not. Do not dare to question whether I've donated or not. Do not assume what other people are thinking or feeling.

I'm with the ones who say these islands need tourist dollars to help get back on their feet. Royal and Carnival both are donating supplies, money and time to them to help rebuild. If the islands are ready for them, they need tourists to spend money there.

It is tough to reconcile the feelings that we may be pushing the envelope in terms of timing and the true need that SXM has for the tourist dollar. Like many of you, we have been to SXM numerous times (both on the ships and for extended vacations). We have good friends on both the Dutch side and the French side.

It has been interesting to watch how the politics of recovery has been impacting the lives on each side of the island. There is much politics at play as the Dutch government wants some concessions from the French in terms of independent decision making (for the Dutch) that will impact all of SXM. In essence the Dutch are saying that no joint government agreement = no financial support for projects that effect the entire island.

Much of this is politics and the French are very independent on their side of the island and want to avoid even the appearance of giving short term agreement to the Dutch. The fact is that the Dutch came to the aid of SXM (all of it) in very short order and have spread resources to people in need regardless of which side of the island you lived on.

I do agree with some posters that there are beaches that we all used to enjoy that are not yet safe yet. Dredging must be done to remove debris, etc. Having said that a lot of the open water tours took their boats out of harms way and are back ready to do dive excursions, etc. (and yes they do need the tourist dollar).

The port area is trying hard to put a product out there that will be acceptable for the day tourist. It will not be the same for quite a while, but it has to start somewhere I suppose. In general expect operations to look a bit different as you leave the port areas (more smaller and temporary structures at your favorite restaurant/bar, if they are open).

We cancelled our two week Christmas stay on Orient Beach this year (no choice actually as buildings were ravaged) and donated to both sides of the island. If you are able, please donate and we have to trust the government(s) decision to open the ports and start the ball rolling.

Like you all, I wish it had never happened....

Can the mods see if these two nuckleheads have the same IP?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I actually had that same thought last night when they were both posting. From prior posts, they seem to be two different people, not associated with each other, different kids ages and sailings, etc.

I actually had that same thought last night when they were both posting. From prior posts, they seem to be two different people, not associated with each other, different kids ages and sailings, etc.
I'll take your word for it but it seemed a little coordinated.

Do not dare to question whether I care or not. Do not dare to question whether I've donated or not. Do not assume what other people are thinking or feeling.

I'm with the ones who say these islands need tourist dollars to help get back on their feet. Royal and Carnival both are donating supplies, money and time to them to help rebuild. If the islands are ready for them, they need tourists to spend money there.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure this is what I've been meaning to say... but I'm just not sure the islands are ready. I'm afraid they're jumping the gun to get tourists back there. IF the islands are ready when we go, then I'll gladly spend my tourist dollars there. If they aren't, I'm not what my feeling will be.

Can the mods see if these two nuckleheads have the same IP?

I wondered the same - same agenda, same arguments and both with a similar style of grammar and word usage. Would not surprise me if they are the same poster/writer.

For the record - I'm on board (no pun intended) with getting back to the islands as soon as the governments and cruise lines agree it's safe and beneficial for all parties.

We have cruiised to St Martin with Gil and Gail ( BeachNative) several years ago on Enchantment. We met on a private excursion organized by Steve ( Mr Bungle) who hired Gizmo for our tour.

We have used Giz twice more since then. I heard from Mrs Cigar King ( on same tour) that Gizmo was fine with just a bit of damage to his apt. He is ready to continue his tours again.

Having met Gil and Gail and knowing a bit about this lovely and generous couple, there is no doubt in my mind that they will do as they said. Even pass out $100's.

This Island really needs the cruise ships to return.

Vicki & Jerry

Yep! I messaged with Giz this weekend. He's got power back, no water yet though. We're scheduled to meet up with him on the Adventure in December. It will be nice to see him and to help the economy.

Im so confused, why is that nobody care about donating money and time. RCL has allot of money there stock is over 120. They can easily make new ships, why can't they help out the islands.Why is RCL the only cruise liner that is going back now?

Why do you assume that RCI and customers are not donating money and time for recovery?

Why can't that happen AND a normal revenue stream get started?

And why do you get to decide when people can finally get some normal income? If they say they are ready, so be it.

If you don't want to go, don't. But that's your decision, and you need to face the consequences for those decisions. RCI is offering you a golden opportunity to help far more directly than just texting in donations. Why don't you want to run with it? Seems to me, the sooner some people get back to normal, the sooner more people can get back to normal.

I don't think all 4 of us agreeing on this have the same IP but thanks. Enjoy your XT1254

I realize there are people that don't want to go there right now but their posts were too similar, quarrelsome, and distortionary in nature. If you want to be included in their club, by all means have at it.

I realize there are people that don't want to go there right now but their posts were too similar, quarrelsome, and distortionary in nature. If you want to be included in their club, by all means have at it.

Why does it matter so much? There's really no point in continuing to drag that part of the thread on... let it go.

Yep! I messaged with Giz this weekend. He's got power back, no water yet though. We're scheduled to meet up with him on the Adventure in December. It will be nice to see him and to help the economy.

Good for you guys!! We do not have St Martin on our agenda in the near future, but a few years ago it seemed we were there every 6 months. Even hired Giz all to ourselves when Jerry's brother cruised with us. Please tell him that we think of him often and definetly will hook up with him in the future. You and Rog have a great cruise!:D OH, and have some of Gizes Devil juice for us!!:rolleyes:

Why does it matter so much? There's really no point in continuing to drag that part of the thread on... let it go.
Why ask why? It was over until you replied? Happy sailing! [emoji16]

Drill2dk I agree with you 1,000%. How do you visit an island that is not ready for a visit. Royal is not thinking. They want you to NOT get off the ship so they can make money onboard selling you booze. I guarantee if problems occur on the island for passengers no one will care on board. They always turn a deaf ear when problems occur on the islands.

I'm calling corporate ASAP. I want my voice to be heard. I will donate money but not my morals.

You can be certain the ports have done everything possible to restore the tourist areas so they can get tourist money. Tourist money will rebuild lives. As to whether it is impossible to enjoy a vacation with people suffering, consider the fact that no one would ever get off a ship at a Caribbean island if that were a criteria. Outside the tourist areas, those islands are dirt poor and people are suffering all the time.

I'm sailing on The Harmony of the Seas 11/18/2017. I'm hoping that we do go to SJ as scheduled. If we do, I'm trying to arrange a service trip outing so that my husband, children and I can help rebuild where it is needed. Beyond that we intend to patronize their shops, restaurants and bars. While the island may still be damaged and in need of repair, the people need to earn their money and continue to work where they can. I want to support that.

I applaud RCI and the other cruise lines for their humanitarian efforts post storm. They really have contributed in a positive way to the efforts to rebuild in multiple ports.

Reading all responses, I think people are taking this wrong. After one month, you think that only way to help the islands of Puerto Rico and St martin is by going and playing in there disaster. I think RC L should give passengers the choice. Just like you all the choice to book these cruises still. RCL should give more time for them to rebuild. . In reality RCL would like passengers not to go ashore unless your on one of there tours. Otherwise they want u to drink and spend money on the ship. Shame on RCL Its too soon. One month. Get real

Reading all responses, I think people are taking this wrong. After one month, you think that only way to help the islands of Puerto Rico and St martin is by going and playing in there disaster. I think RC L should give passengers the choice. Just like you all the choice to book these cruises still. RCL should give more time for them to rebuild. . In reality RCL would like passengers not to go ashore unless your on one of there tours. Otherwise they want u to drink and spend money on the ship. Shame on RCL Its too soon. One month. Get real

Stop making things up as you go along!

Thank you for saying it. I feel exactly the same way, but was afraid to post such statement knowing all the attacks to follow. It is absolutely sounds this way to me from people's posts. All the concerns about island not being ready for reception of tourists appear to be from the perspective of tourists not being able to receive expected experience from the trip. At the same time, due to such concerns RCCL should give it's clients opportunity to change to different sailing.

I don't see anything wrong with not wanting your vacation compromised; vacations cost money, and most people get only a few weeks a year. I do see something wrong with deciding to object to a change in ports "for humanitarian reasons" instead of being truthful about feeling your money should buy the vacation you planned on having.

That said, though, the contract we sign for cruising clearly states that ports are not guaranteed and may be changed, and it also clearly states when we can get money back and when we can't. Royal is in business to make money; they have sacrificed many dollars by cancelling cruises that were already filled and, instead, using the ships for relief work; they have donated thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars of supplies and food; they have taken on passengers and transported them to safer areas. Just because Royal makes a lot of their money in the Caribbean doesn't mean they can be expected to continue donating money/lost revenue from ships having to sail at less than capacity until some tourist who, obviously, hasn't seen the port areas decides the island is fit for vacationers.

By the same token as a paying customer, if you are within the time period for cancelling without penalty, it's your right to do so. If you are at the "cancel but with some penalty" period, it's still your right to do so, but you can't expect not to take a financial hit.

Seems to me that you’re the one getting it wrong. The only thing cruisers do there is spend money.

How does that hurt the island?