Have you ever not liked your table mates??

bobjer17

We've had table mates we didn't really have much in common with but no one we really didn't like. It was pretty awkward as it pretty much ground conversation to a halt. We were able to switch to dining at our convenience for the rest of the cruise. The funny thing was we ended up with pretty much the same table mates every night with that and kept seeing them around the ship particularly close to dinner. Conversation at dinner was lively since we had kind of been doing the same things all day. We're all facebook friends and looking to plan another cruise together sometime so I guess you could say it worked out well.

Wow. So now my mom who grew up in the 40s and 50s is ignorant, flippant, and ugly according to you. FYI, you moral beliefs don't rule the world.

No, not at all. Not directed at you or your mom. You did not previously reference your mother. But some guy on a cruise ship who is randomly tossing the word around? yes. He is out of line. It is all about context. And it has nothing to do with my morality. Not sure why you think that.

On an Alaskan cruise on the Spirit several years ago, I was cruising solo. Seated at a rectangular table for 6 on the upper level, the first night I was the only one who showed up. Next night was elegant night and two older men who were each travelling solo showed up.

One of them didn’t say much, but when he did, he had such a heavy accent that I had trouble understanding him. The other spent most of the meal complaining about how bad the food was, the lack of good wines, how other cruise lines were better than Carnival, etc.

I was dreading having to spend the rest of the dinners with them, but they never showed up again. I’m fine dining by myself so it was actually better than having them there.

Another item of interest to me would be if the table mates didn't show up on time. I'm there on time to eat and I would expect the courtesy of the other people to show up on time. Just off the Victory and noticed people coming in at 6:30!! There was a sign in front of the dining room that stated if you show up late you were invited to enjoy your dinner on the Lido deck.

We did have this problem on Carnival Triumph in March. We were at a table for 9; 3 families with one child each. One family was about 20 minutes late; very nice people, but DH was annoyed that it took almost 1.5 hours to eat and we wondered if that family slowed down the process for us. To my surprise DH really warmed up to the song and dance shows in the main lounge, and did not want to miss them for something as unimportant as dinner! We only ate one more night in the dining room (of our 5 night cruise) and the same family showed up 20 minutes late again.

No, not at all. Not directed at you or your mom. You did not previously reference your mother. But some guy on a cruise ship who is randomly tossing the word around? yes. He is out of line. It is all about context. And it has nothing to do with my morality. Not sure why you think that.

Of course it's based on "your" morality. There is no law or official rule written anywhere that I know of that says one cannot use the N-word, anywhere, and the 1st Amendment clearly states that the government cannot suppress your freedom to speak and yet you claim "He is out of line". The only basis you have for making that statement is based on what you believe, morally speaking. Others may not have the same moral beliefs as you and see no problem with using the word and as far as they are concerned, they are not out of line.

Of course it's based on "your" morality. There is no law or official rule written anywhere that I know of that says one cannot use the N-word, anywhere, and the 1st Amendment clearly states that the government cannot suppress your freedom to speak and yet you claim "He is out of line". The only basis you have for making that statement is based on what you believe, morally speaking. Others may not have the same moral beliefs as you and see no problem with using the word and as far as they are concerned, they are not out of line.

Seriously? Did you read the poster’s description of the dinner conversation? You want to get into a spat on a cruise forum about whether some guy had a 1st Amendment right to use the N word at dinner with strangers on a cruise ship?

okay...

No one has 1st Amendment rights of any kind on a foreign flagged cruise ship outside of American waters. BUT If you personally want to excercise your 1st Amendment right to say the N word somewhere... knock yourself out. I couldn't care less. The 1st Amendment protects offensive and racist speech as long as it does not edge over into hate speech or inciting a riot- as a general rule.

The Bill of Rights protects us from Government intrusion. It does not protect anyone from other individuals judging our behavior.

So, yes. I will make a moral judgment about someone throwing the N word around in public, to complete strangers. And I will not apologize for thinking it is a vile word with horrible historic context.

Go fight with someone else.

Seriously? Did you read the poster’s description of the dinner conversation? You want to get into a spat on a cruise forum about whether some guy had a 1st Amendment right to use the N word at dinner with strangers on a cruise ship?

I'm not getting into a spat as I don't care what words others use. Just as I wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone called me the H-word.

I couldn't care less. The 1st Amendment protects offensive and racist speech as long as it does not edge over into hate speech or inciting a riot- as a general rule.

I couldn't care less either. But please show me in the Constitution where is says "as long as it does not edge over" into anything. Riots are not caused by people who say something. Riots are caused by someone who can't stand that someone else is able to say what they want and think they can use violence as a way to stop them from speaking.

The Bill of Rights protects us from Government intrusion. It does not protect anyone from other individuals judging our behavior.

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone stranger on a cruise ship thinks of me. Others may feel differently but that's their problem.

So, yes. I will make a moral judgment about someone throwing the N word around in public, to complete strangers. And I will not apologize for thinking it is a vile word with horrible historic context.

So we're back to where I correctly stated this was an issue with your morals, not any law or rule. You may think as you wish. Just don't assume or expect everyone else to think or act as you do.

I wouldn't say, we didn't "like" our tablemates so much as we had little in common. We were seated at a 4 person table, on the Dream I think. Since there was only the four of us, conversation dried up pretty quickly. It was uncomfortable for them as well as us. We finally threw in the towel and went to the Lido.

Why do they even put strangers in a four person booth. So awkward!

We did a B2B2B 48 day from LA around the Horn to NYC on Splendor in 2013 and were seated at a booth with one other couple. They became our very best and dear friends.........after the first leg we saw the MD together so we would be placed at the same table again and with our waiter. We repeated this on leg 3. This was a cruise of a lifetime with wonderful people..........who would have thought? They made the cruise so special for us, and in return said the same about my husband and me!:D:halo:

We have always sat at large tables with random table mates, except for one family cruise where they didn't bother to stick a single person at the 8 top with the 7 of us! We have only had one disagreeable table mate. This woman was absolutely miserable, complained about the food and everything else she may have encountered. Luckily she only sat with us on the first night. She was traveling with a co-worker who was a lovely woman, who on the second night profusely apologized for her behavior. She said she regretted asking this woman to go on the cruise with her, and she had no idea she had the capacity to be so miserable!

All of our other cruises we have gotten along well with our table mates and met some very interesting people, some of whom we have become friends with.

Wow! I’m speechless and that’s hard to do!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi-Husband and I love to meet new people when we are cruising. We also like to sit with people for dinner. Our last experience doing that wasn't great. The people were rude, racist, and just all-around horrors. We couldn't get away from them fast enough. Then of course we would see them all over the ship and they would want to stop and talk to us..we would just say quick "hello, how is your day?" and keep moving.

We want to be able to sit with others again..but now we are a little nervous about it.

Bobjer it appears you and your husband have been on multiple cruises. Have you always sat at big tables in MDR, and if so how many bad experiences have you had?

My DW and I have been on 5 cruises always sitting at a 8 to 10 top table in MDR. Out of all of them we only had one bad experience. This was on the Valor were we sat at an 8 top with only one other couple (well another couple did join us one night only:confused:). Now this middle aged couple was on their honeymoon. On the first night they most definitely needed to get a room!!:confused:.....wait they had one, but they just chose to show their love to the MDR instead (we had front row seats:o). The guy was a used car sell man and talked just like one of the guys on TV you know; "Come on down to Big Bob's Booming Summer sale". The lady would just show off the $5k rings, necklaces, bracelets, her new husband had bought in port that day and how they not only got a great deal but how he haggled them to buy lunch too. They did not see me coming he said, i'm one of the best "wheeler and dealers" on the planet. However, the weather changed quickly rough seas were ahead. By day #4 out of 8 they were not the same happy go lucky couple groping each other in front of the MDR (thank god). In fact we thought we heard the word divorce come out of his mouth, jury is still out on that. Anyways my point is; 4 out of 5 cruises we have had a pleasant if not GREAT experience with our table mates, so the chances are you will have at least a good experience.

Yes we have! One cruise, we were sat with a love triangle and a group of preppy college females whose every third word/phrase was "Like, OMG", "Hashtag", "can you believe what she's wearing", "whatever", and the list goes on!

The love triangle... well the 3rd wheel paid for his friend (that he happened to be in love with) and her boyfriend to go on a cruise with them.

So we ended up eating the lido the last three nights of this cruise!

okay...

No one has 1st Amendment rights of any kind on a foreign flagged cruise ship outside of American waters. BUT If you personally want to excercise your 1st Amendment right to say the N word somewhere... knock yourself out. I couldn't care less. The 1st Amendment protects offensive and racist speech as long as it does not edge over into hate speech or inciting a riot- as a general rule.

Go fight with someone else.

This

This

A million times this!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app