Have you ever not liked your table mates??

bobjer17

Now I only get a table for myself. Once we were 6 solos and got to talking about OJ going to prison. I said not sure how he'll do there and a retired post office guy said "what, he only killed a woman and a Jew." Another time a young lady ate like a bunny rabbit taking tiny bites and working her lips with the food. It was gross. I changed tables.

Now I only get a table for myself. Once we were 6 solos and got to talking about OJ going to prison. I said not sure how he'll do there and a retired post office guy said "what, he only killed a woman and a Jew." Another time a young lady ate like a bunny rabbit taking tiny bites and working her lips with the food. It was gross. I changed tables.

Oh no!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've only been on 2 Carnival cruises so far but we enjoyed our dinner companions on our first cruise. Both times we were a couple seated at a table for 4. I don't remember requesting that but I wanted to try whatever carnival had in store for us. Our first cruise was a 7-nighter and we ate in MDR all but one night (steakhouse for our anniversary night). We had a great time talking with Chris and Linda at dinner, catching up with the days activities, sharing pictures of our pets. I don't know how much thought carnival puts into matching people but I thought it was at least an interesting coincidence that we were very similar in age and Chris and I worked in similar fields so we had a lot to talk about.

The second cruise was just a 4 nighter and we ate at steakhouse first night. We never saw the couple who we were paired with the other nights so we had a table for 4 to ourselves. I would have liked to meet more new people but then again, we weren't self-conscious about ordering 2 and 3 of things to try everything lol.

sent from my galaxy tab a

My first cruise , my daughter and I got seated with a couple. They seemed to be a nice couple , but didnt speak that well with English. And just made it not the best night for us. And as it ended up wasn't enjoyable for them either. The next night our waiter said they asked to moved to another table ! We walked past them on way to our table and they were with people like themselves and seemed to be having a better time. Like I said they were nice they said hello as did we to them when we seen them through out the week.

There were too many times in the early years of cruising that I dreaded dinner because of the tablemates.

Being chastised for drinking wine at dinner was one and being seated with a woman who refused to tell anyone her name were just two.

I love to meet new people during the cruise but if I go solo, I'll dine alone. If I travel with a friend or two, we get our own table.

Yes. On a cruise out of NY to Canada. We were seated with four strangers. Two of whom were so pompous, I don't know how the ship stayed afloat with their egos aboard.

We changed to a table for two and have done do on every cruise since unless we are with friends.

Dinner is supposed to be enjoyable. I don't like taking the risk that it won't be.

We were on a cruise several years ago and were seated with 3 other couples .We introduced ourselves by last names and one couple constantly told us that they knew people of our religion.

Like real actual ones, or like in movies, or where exactly? Cause I’m sure that was your next question.

I've had really good luck most of the time with Carnival, Princess and RC. When I'm with my husband we have been matched with couples near our age. When we have cruised with our daughter through the years they have put us with families with kids her age. When I cruise with my sister we are usually seated with other women around our age. The only time I wished I had moved was on the Pride we were seated at along 8 top with 6 other women. The two directly across from us showed up each night chewing large wads of gum with their mouths open. Snapping and cracking. Once they got their food they put their gum in their napkins. They then chewed and talked with their mouths open. They were really rude to the waiters. I never heard them say please or thank you and complained about the food even after they cleaned their plates. The other four never came back after the second night. We tried moving to the other end of the table but they always sat across from us. We ate quick and skipped dessert. They were always 30 minutes late so we could get through most our dinner before they showed up. The worse thing though was on the last night they were talking about going to guest services to take their tips off. We gave extra but I felt bad for our great waiters.

The problem was it wasn't a "hot topic" it was ordinary conversation and he threw the "n word" out a couple of times. How he thought that was acceptable with complete strangers, in public we don't know. We finally called him on it. Didn't really phase him. We were horrified!

My husband and I may have had that guy as a table mate too! We were on our honeymoon and seated with a family of 6. The father was absolutely horrid! We sailed out of New Orleans and he commented on every person who came to the dining room that wasn't white.

After that first dinner my husband and I went back to our cabin having not spoken a word at dinner, closed our door, looked at each other and asked "what was THAT?" Then my honey made me laugh by saying "it just didn't feel like the right time to reminisce about my Bar Mitzvah" - we went to the maitre'd the next night and requested a table for two as we were honeymooning - we didn't mention the guy who would have burned crosses on others cabin doors if he could. That was almost 20 years ago and we still laugh about it! 😳

I converted to My Time Dining about 7 cruises ago. You get the chance to sit with or near other people, and if you don't like your tablemates the chances are good you won't have to sit with them the next day. If you do like them, you just pick a time to meet up the next day and go into the dining room as one group. I love the flexibility.

Ditto!

Had some terrible table mates in the past.

On a Celebrity family reunion cruise we were at a table for ten and there were 8 of us (family). The ship thought it would be a fine idea to sit 2 strangers with us. My brother talked to them and told them the situation and they agreed they wouldn't belong and got another table.

When my wife and I cruise together we always use MTD and get a table for two. I wouldn't want to eat with strangers at a shoreside restaurant and we don't want to eat with them on the ship. Sometimes we meet people outside of the MDR (on deck or Lido) and if we like them we ask if they would like to join us for dinner.

I guess you haven't eaten in a Sushi or Teppanyaki style restaurant. I love these restaurants because you do get seated with strangers. There's nothing like a set of new faces to tell all of your funny stories to, that your spouse no longer enjoys! ;p

Seated at a round table for 8 in an excellent location of the dining room aboard the Amsterdam during a long cruise, my answer to the OP's question is yes, mostly. Three couples, a widow, and me were the guests. From Dinner #1, the question of whether I should change tables arose. Because of the pleasant company of the widow (whose thoughts mirrored mine about a table change), the excellent service, the location of the table, and my belief that the "glass is half full", I endured. Many evenings, thankfully, were better than others. Individually, for the most part, these 3 couples were experienced travelers and pleasant cruise companions. But, together at our table, for whatever reasons, it was not a good mix. Even the Maitre d' stopped visiting our table to see "how things are".

I have resolved: NEVER AGAIN! Fortunately, there has been no need on subsequent cruises to make the decision to "cut and run" to the Maitre d' for a different table.

Several years ago on Inspiration, first night we were seated at a table for 12. There were four of us so I thought it was going to be great to meet some new people. There was one woman with a very big mouth that had to control they entire table. She was totally annoying. After dinner we talked about asking to be moved away from her. When we got up the next morning, we had a note under our door telling us we'd been assigned to a new table. I thought our friends did it and they thought we did it. Come to find out that night, the annoying woman had us moved. She didn't like us! LOL We didn't react to her "show" like she thought we should. It was great. However, on Elation in 2014, we met a couple at our dinner table that we love. We have gone on another cruise together and keep in touch regularly.

Yes. Once we were sat with a young 20 somethings on their honeymoon. We were in our mid 50's. Needless to say, we did not have very much in common. Another time, we were sat with a couple who asked if we would be drinking every evening. We always bring a glass of wine with us to dinner. They requested another table. We have requested YTD since they first offered it. We are much happier.

On our last cruise we were at a table for 4 couples. Two of the couples never showed, and the one couple that did were not good table mates. For our cruise coming up we are trying my time dining and hope to have a table to ourselves, which is too bad, we really do enjoy making new friends, but just don't want to take the chance again on bad tablemates and possibly not enjoy our dinner time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had really good luck most of the time with Carnival, Princess and RC. When I'm with my husband we have been matched with couples near our age. When we have cruised with our daughter through the years they have put us with families with kids her age. When I cruise with my sister we are usually seated with other women around our age. The only time I wished I had moved was on the Pride we were seated at along 8 top with 6 other women. The two directly across from us showed up each night chewing large wads of gum with their mouths open. Snapping and cracking. Once they got their food they put their gum in their napkins. They then chewed and talked with their mouths open. They were really rude to the waiters. I never heard them say please or thank you and complained about the food even after they cleaned their plates. The other four never came back after the second night. We tried moving to the other end of the table but they always sat across from us. We ate quick and skipped dessert. They were always 30 minutes late so we could get through most our dinner before they showed up. The worse thing though was on the last night they were talking about going to guest services to take their tips off. We gave extra but I felt bad for our great waiters.
Oh my! No..just no!

My first cruise, way back, I was cruising with a friend and she got a bottle of wine at dinner. She then drank every drop and got horridly drunk. I had to have help getting her back to the room and ate at the buffet the rest of the cruise. :rolleyes:

The other time we traveled with family, 28 of us total, so we had our own table. But, I wanted to die at least twice from the way a few acted. I'm surprised the staff let us all back in the dining room.

I converted to My Time Dining about 7 cruises ago. You get the chance to sit with or near other people, and if you don't like your tablemates the chances are good you won't have to sit with them the next day. If you do like them, you just pick a time to meet up the next day and go into the dining room as one group. I love the flexibility.

Agree totally - I was so excited when they started My Time Dining and we have gotten that every time since. I am on vacation and can't say that I want to eat at the same time every night. And, if you enjoy meeting new people you can tell them you'd like to be seated with others. It is miserable to be sitting with the same folks the entire cruise if you don't hit it off. Happy Cruising, Bonnie

usually I can get along with most and love meeting new people but yes, sometimes you can get ones that really rub you the wrong way, usual its just them being them. the worst are the ones that WONT even talk , they sit there like they are at a funeral. Or the ones that want to rell you every little tine thing thats wrong with their cruise. :/

Few years ago we were on a 14 day cruise and we were seated with another couple and his mother.

Three days or so all was well and than they stopped showing up. Asked them if they planned on coming back and they said probably not they prefer lido.

Asked them if we could tell the MD they are giving up the table? They refused just in case they wanted to come to dinner one night.

I than said that was not nice as they were forcing us to have dinner by ourselves. The guys answer was why should that be their problem. Looked at him for quite a while and turned my back on him saying he was incredibly selfish.

So we wewnt to the MD and moved to another table.

For the most part, I have been fortunate, and had some really nice and well matched table mates, both when I cruised with family and when solo. But there was one Carnival cruise, and one on a different line, that were quite unpleasant. On the Carnival cruise, the two table mates with me and my Mom, left after the second night. Saw them, or one of them afterwards on promenade deck, no explanation given, but she seemed to want to avoid me for some reason. I did acknowledge her and say hello, but you could tell she/they just did not like us. Mom and I ended up at the table by ourselves for the rest of the 7 day cruise, and that was fine by me. But I felt bad for my Mom who is a social butterfly, and loves to dine with others at the table. Funny thing is that after they left, our waiters seemed to relax and treated my Mom and I like royalty. LOL.

On my one Celebrity cruise....again a very weird experience. Two seperate couples seated at a big table with me, my Mom and my Dad. After the first night, neither couple returned, and we three remained at our big table by ourselves. On the 4th evening a young couple on their honeymoon joined us. Turned out to be a wonderful next three evenings. Given the age differences, demographic difference, they were so happy to be away from their previous table, and so interesting, and friendly. It turned out to be a positive that the others left. Same as the one bad Carnival dining room time, I was so glad those two ladies left. Mom not so much, but she does not perceive unfriendliness like I do.

I am however grateful these days for "your time dining" on Carnival. Just dont want to risk either of those kind of situations again.