Chefs Table Worth It?

Definitely worth it! It is an amazing experience with or without friends. We did it on Navigator last year, and will do it on Adventure this year. Max 12 people at the Chef’s Table last year. I think that it the normal limit. We only had 10 on our night. Great food, great service, and our chef came out to explain every pairing. It does take several hours, so plan accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have participated in Chef's Table on Grandeur, Freedom, and this past July Oasis. The food and wine at all of them has been phenomenal. Grandeur has the nicest venue —a private paneled room off of the MDR and there were only 14 of us at the table. Chef's Table on Freedom was held on the port side in the front of the Windjammer — there were about 28 of us at a long table —we were very squished. Chef's Table on Oasis was held in an alcove in the Coastal Kitchen dining room on Deck 17. There were 16 of us; 7 were performers from the dive show, 1 was the sand artist from the ice show - they were all leaving the ship for vacation. It was a really good time.

• 4 months later...

You're welcome. Please report back if they add gratuity on the ship.

Hi Bob--Reminder of the conversation: We had booked Chops Grill lunch on the Cruise Planner for a mere $17.60 each.

We were there on Wednesday and much to my surprise the check said that the 18% gratuity was included in the price. We added some extra anyway.

We were able to book Chef’s Table on board our Seranade TA for the reduced price of $50 per person. Wines were very good, food was amazing. The best filet I’ve ever had!

Sherri🙂

Hi Bob--Reminder of the conversation: We had booked Chops Grill lunch on the Cruise Planner for a mere $17.60 each.

We were there on Wednesday and much to my surprise the check said that the 18% gratuity was included in the price. We added some extra anyway.

Thanks for the report:)

Done it 4 times at full price. Loved it and felt it was worth every penny.

I agree with you. We've done it three times and always booked through the cruise planner to get the night that we want to go. I much prefer to do it on a sea day, as it's a rush after having been in a port. You have to meet for the dinner at 5.30 - 6.00pm and it goes to 11pm or in some cases, later.

Guess I am in minority here. We tried Chef's Table on Oasis and it was ok. DH thought wine was bottom shelf and could have been bought at Publix or WalMart for $2.99 per bottle. Not impressed. Tried again on Majesty in April and food and wine were not much better than MDR. Guess we have been spoiled by the outstanding food we have enjoyed on Celebrity over the years. Never a bad meal on Celebrity. Prefer Giovanni's or Chops over Chef's.

We did Chef's Table only once - New Year's Eve on the Anthem - great private room accessed thru Chops. Food was great - not used to eating that much at one time. Wine was great. And then we went to a terrific New Year's eve party in 270 with more food and champagne. Decided not to open the champagne because of all of the wine we had just enjoyed. It was a magical evening. Not sure if we would do Chef's table again - especially if it was sectioned off in the Windjammer.

We just purchased CT yesterday at full price in our cruise planner for our Brilliance Baltic cruise in Aug of 2019. It is something we really wanted to do and I wanted to book early enough to make sure we got the time slot I wanted. I don't mind paying full price if we have to but at least we are guaranteed a spot, and I have 449 day to get a price drop in the cruise planner, so I can just cancel and re-book at a better price :D

I'm just wondering where the CT is offered on Brilliance, if anybody knows.

Also as an aside question, Specialty options on Brilliance: Are Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi the only specialty restaurants? we have a 12 day cruise and are deciding what dining package to go for (3, 4 or 5 ).

dp

... Are Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi the only specialty restaurants? ...

Not sure if they still have a Rita's. I thought I read that was going away. I rarely saw anyone eating there.

From what I have read from live reviewers DO NOT do it on Harmony. It’s location in the Solarium Bistro and it is hot and noisy and not worth it.

Agree with is comment, I wonder if they have made any improvements on Symphony. Just booked a B2B for January 2020. When on Harmony this past January we saw the set up and was glad we read about it on CC. Never attended CT on that cruise!

I have to agree with some of the above comments, it depends where they hold the Chefs table we did it for 1/2 price on the Vision it was in a beautiful private room off the main Dining room only 7 couples great dinner I would have paid full price, we then did it again on the Freedom totally different experience we were put in the windjammer with screens around us and there were 18 couples did not enjoy it. So I always ask now where they hold it.

I tried the Chef's table a few years ago and loved it, but now, the folks I travel with are not foodies and won't go there. It is not for someone who is not an adventurous diner.

I know some prefer Giovanni's to Chops, but IMO there is no comparison. Although Giovanni's filet is good, the rest of their food, to me, is sub par. I've had the pasta carbonara, but didn't like the egg on top as I have always had it mixed in the sauce. I thought it was awful. I tried it again and had the bucatini Bolognese and the pasta was so al dente, it was hard and starchy. My family loves Italian food and we all decided that Giovanni's was not a place we would go again,

On the other hand, we had several meals at Chops. The filet and the rib eye were really good. We also had far better service at Chops. Our experience with these restaurants was on Allure which we have sailed on three times so far and going again soon.

Done it 4 times at full price. Loved it and felt it was worth every penny.

I agree! I did it once on our European cruise full price and can't wait to go again on our Baltic cruise. Met wonderful people, food and wine excellent. I thought it was worth every penny.

We almost always do Chef's Table and have done it on many categories of ship. IMO the best class for Chef's Table is Radiance class with the dedicated room off the lounge. We've never had a bad experience and some of them (mainly due to the mix of guests) have been some of the best nights we've had on a ship.

However we did Chef's Table on Explorer a couple of weeks ago and the venue was a real disappointment - and I commented on this on my post cruise survey. The table was at the back of Chops with a curtain pulled across to separate us from the rest of the room. Whilst the food and wine and service were all excellent I think that for the price you pay it should be a unique experience in a dedicated area. Apparently they sometimes hold it in an area of the Windjammer, which would have been even more disappointing.

We would not hesitate to do it again but next time will double check where the venue is - certainly on a Voyager class ship which doesn't seem to have a dedicated venue. Had we known the venue on Explorer we probably wouldn't have booked it

We did it last month on Navigator. It was held on the landing in the MDR between deck 4 and 5. While it could be noisy during dinner it was an otherwise very nice setting.

We thought it was worth it and plan to do it again when celebrating special occasions on a cruise. The food and wine was wonderful. We started in the R bar with champagne and got to know our table mates. It was a lovely evening.

• 3 months later...

We just did it on the Oasis and loved it. We had only 9 of us, Hubby and I from Orlando, 2 couples from Africa and 1 couple and friend from Mexico, friends made and enjoyed the company. The Chef came out every coarse and explained to us. The host explained all the wines. And the location was great in alcove between Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. I am glad that someone posted where it was on the Harmony and now not even remotely interested!!!