Dress cose in MDR

Ken Greco

I am fully aware, as is my wife, that the mdr police may not let us in on formal night, or any other night, based on what I am wearing. I have no problem with that. I do question why on our last cruise on the only formal night - the hostess asked to see our cruise card. Do you get preferred admittance and seating, or lack thereof, depending on your loyalty level??:cool:

Although it is rarely done, and I assume you are referring to an Anytime Dining Room, they might have been verifying that you were signed up for ATD, not traditional. However, just a guess.

I am going on the 7 day cruise on Regal Princess in January. I understand there are two formal nights in the MDR; is that correct? Also, do they schedule nights such as tropical dress night? Planning my wardrobe for the trip.

It's called cruise casual.

Well then, Princess should re write their dress code policy and get rid of formal nights if pax are not going to dress sort of formal.:halo:

So when I fly 12000 miles each way, 24 hour flights - Sydney to Heathrow next year for 3 Princess cruises, should I bother taking a tux or suit for formals ? Or just wear 'smart jeans and polo shirt as apparently is permitted these days. My suit case would be lighter with the latter.

Why does Princess insert formal night dress requirements in Princess Patter and have a sign outside MDR as such ? Waste of time.

Bring on the Princess Dress Code Police.

As I see it Princess just lets those that want to dress down do so & continue to imply that the formal nights still exist in order to make money. It's a win win situation without really offending most of the crowd.

It's obvious seeing all the people lined up for photo's & ordering their overpriced wine at dinner.

Why change something that works for them?

You obviously enjoy dressing up & should continue to do so or go into a more relaxed way of travel & ditch the jacket & tie. The suit pants work well with just a dress shirt.

Why does Princess insert formal night dress requirements in Princess Patter and have a sign outside MDR as such ? Waste of time.

That is normal Princess policy, just like for reserving loungers and theatre seats. Post a notice or make an announcement forbidding it to please half the people and don't enforce it to please the other half.

More and more you read on here of the acceptance of male pax into the MDR on formal nights, not wearing jacket and tie. As I have said before, if Princess is not going to enforce their dress policy/code - Get rid of it !!! Farcical at the moment.

Some take the trouble of dressing up in a tux or sut and complying with the dress code, others don't for various reasons and get away with it. :evilsmile:

Stand by for incoming. :eek:

14224733?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

Ok Les, I brought the popcorn......:D:D:D

Bob

That is normal Princess policy, just like for reserving loungers and theatre seats. Post a notice or make an announcement forbidding it to please half the people and don't enforce it to please the other half.

Don't forget the cards they place on the Horizon Court tables kindly asking passengers to vacate when done.....:):):)

Bob

There gone.

A thing of the pasr....no one paid any attention to them anyway.

Now we need another squad of Princess Law Enforcement - 'The Horizon Court Police.' - 'Eat up and move out, this area is for eating, not playing cards or watching the views.' :evilsmile:

Perhaps pax should be timed in the HC, 30 minutes and out.:evilsmile::eek:

14224733?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

Ok Les, I brought the popcorn......:D:D:D

Bob

Thanks Bob, looks like the carton I left on the Ruby Princess - Red Hot Rubies, Med/T.A. 2011.

Popcorn aside, I have broad shoulders and a Kevlar Vest. I can take the flack on here, sort of.

Well then, Princess should re write their dress code policy and get rid of formal nights if pax are not going to dress sort of formal.:halo:

So when I fly 12000 miles each way, 24 hour flights - Sydney to Heathrow next year for 3 Princess cruises, should I bother taking a tux or suit for formals ? Or just wear 'smart jeans and polo shirt as apparently is permitted these days. My suit case would be lighter with the latter.

Bring on the Princess Dress Code Police.

Looks like another long ride to the dining room tonight!! This horse will never die!!!!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAl1AAAAJGZhNTU0M2M5LTVkOTctNGIwZi04YWUzLWM4MmViOGNmNzJhZA.jpg.226d4a26f26a431b81ff75023086e75e.jpg

Don't forget the cards they place on the Horizon Court tables kindly asking passengers to vacate when done.....:):):)

Bob

I just got off the Ruby on a B2B and the signs were not present. They had been there on the Ruby last August however. I suppose it is a hit and miss situation.

Interestingly enough, the only time I've really felt underdressed was on a cruise out of the UK, where well over half the passengers were from the UK.

Yes, take your tux. I'm willing to bet your "smart jeans" weigh more then the tuxedo, which are typically made from a light material.

Interestingly enough, the only time I've really felt underdressed was on a cruise out of the UK, where well over half the passengers were from the UK.

Yes, take your tux. I'm willing to bet your "smart jeans" weigh more then the tuxedo, which are typically made from a light material.

Yes the Brits dress up. We have done a few P&O UK cruises, I reckon on formal night 95% tux wearing or dinner suit as the Brits call it. The others dark business suit. Even on non formal nights, many still wore a suit and tie or Bermuda jacket/blazer and tie. They are pretty strict on enforcing their dress code policy as well.

:halo:

The British are well known for being more proper in dress and language. It is no surprise then that they will dress accordingly on the ship. The colonies on the other hand are more informal so it depends on the number of British aboard. It always amuses me to see video clips of activity in parliament and listening to the speech. They have a knack to insult someone without being rude about it.

Just a quick comment on the dressing on a 5 day trip.

Last night was formal night & in the anytime DR (Royal Princess) there were probably only half of the guys with jackets on while the rest just had on a dress shirt. Most of the jackets wound up on the back of the chairs by the time we left.

This dress down was less than I usually see on longer cruises. I suppose they just couldn't be bothered to lug the suit along for only 1 formal night.

No shorts to be seen.