NSWP

Princess cruises - cruise card - no more hole punching for lanyard?

[emoji23]leave it to our OP to clarify - couldn’t agree more!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With a sheepish face...I am the OP. :o:o:o So you can all blame me for this debacle.

...... and some wouldn't know whether it was punched, bored, or eaten out by white ants.

Oh sorry, that saying refers to some other type of hole.;p

...... And some wouldn't know whether it was punched, bored, or eaten out by white ants.

Oh sorry, that saying refers to some other type of hole.;p

lol,.

Once everyone gets a microchip inserted behind their ears, there will be no need for cards or lanyards. Fix cheating on drink packages too.

Just let them scan your neck to see if you qualify.

Dont you know the government has been microchiping us all at birth for years.

Dont you know the government has been microchiping us all at birth for years.

I always wondered what that strange lump on the back of my neck was. It certainly explains why it always goes beep when I pass through the checkout at woollies.;p

As promised I have posted a photo of my two cruise cards. One is the one with the lanyard hole and the other is of the new card after I went to reception and told them that I do not wear lanyards and asked for one without a hole.:D:D:D:D

IMG_0206.JPG.ce5f73425f7c74c8f37e810dd1547e27.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG.f941f5ad1ed77a32ea26c06d06f09220.JPG

As promised I have posted a photo of my two cruise cards. One is the one with the lanyard hole and the other is of the new card after I went to reception and told them that I do not wear lanyards and asked for one without a hole.:D:D:D:D

Thank you, so the card with the pre punched hole was issued to you at check in ? :D

Thank you, so the card with the pre punched hole was issued to you at check in ? :D

It already had a hole in it at check-in. They only do it in Australia. All my other cruise cards from Japan, South America and Asia do not have holes punched in them.

It already had a hole in it at check-in. They only do it in Australia. All my other cruise cards from Japan, South America and Asia do not have holes punched in them.

At least there was no 15% gratuity on the complimentary hole and the issue of a hole-less card.:')

ANOTHER IDEA..WEAR A BUMPACK...handy on tours for Kleenex, wallet etc..and put the cruisecard in a mesh zippered pocket in the front..;)

Yes, one of the greatest perks ever is getting a free hole.;p
[emoji23]🤣[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

I will do it just for fun and a good laugh. I will seriously do it though. If the card has a hole in it I will go straight to reception and ask them to print a new one without a hole in it and be as serious as I can. Once done I will post photos on here to prove it has been done.
Don't you think the staff have enough to do then to waste their time[emoji84]

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

And what is the 'Medallion"..I've read about?

Or is someone mixing up their cruiselines?:cool:

It’s not about showing off, it’s about not having a pocket to put it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And what is the 'Medallion"..I've read about?

Or is someone mixing up their cruiselines?:cool:

Ocean medallion is a Princess innovation that they appear to be having trouble getting working.

I remember sitting on a beach in the Caribbean when a whole lot of lanyard wearing people came along. They had that look of forced jollity that only the mass cruiser has.

They looked at us sadly, but then perked up when they saw we didn’t have lanyards. I swear that very soon they were puffing out their chests trying to ensure we noticed the cards in their lanyards.

My wife explained that she’d read that these desperate creatures often took to flashing their pass cards because their status on the ship was reflected in the colour or type of card.

From what we could see, this flaunting of status was the only thing that made these people happy. For the rest of the time we were there, they either sat in stony silence or whined about something or someone.

This is a good place to keep your pass card. It is also useful back on land for other purposes.

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

If I don't get the 'free hole' punched in my cruise card next Princess Cruise, I am going to demand compensation for a 'missed hole' and perhaps even remove my gratuities.:evilsmile:lol.:halo:

I heard a rumour that all the 'holes' that get punched are actually the things that get turned into bit coins!!!!!

The value of the bit coin goes up as the colour of the 'hole' increases

Nek time I cruise I am going to demand my 'hole' back

Just want to add has anyone seen this video -

- People are sheep. A psychological experiment with hidden cameras that show how people like to follow the trend set by other people.

On my very first cruise way back in 2002 on the Aurora I recall there were absolutely no passengers wearing lanyards. We were all given plastic wallets in our cabin and we had two cards. The cruise card and the key card. The first time I cruised with Princess it was the same situation but this was the Sapphire Princess way back in 2005 when Americans, British, Europeans were all in the majority and Australians were in the extreme minority even based out of Sydney! Again no lanyards on that ship.

By 2008 I had done a party cruise on the Sun Princess. By this time it was full of Australians and this was the first time I noticed the lanyards. On all following cruises of ships that are based out of Sydney and full of Australians I have always noticed the lanyards. On all Princess cruises out of Japan, South America and other places I have been to where Australians are the minority there are little to no lanyards.

My theory is that no lanyards is the world wide trend for cruising. That is the trend I have kept. However I think at some point in the past probably on the P&O Australia ships, some Australians started wearing them and others started following the trend.

It is definitely not a world wide trend and boarding a Princess ship in Sydney is the only place in the world they punch a hole in your cruise card for a lanyard.

I find it an interesting topic. Does anyone else find this sort of psychological experiment in the video and explanation interesting?

- People are sheep. A psychological experiment with hidden cameras that show how people like to follow the trend set by other people.

On my very first cruise way back in 2002 on the Aurora I recall there were absolutely no passengers wearing lanyards. We were all given plastic wallets in our cabin and we had two cards. The cruise card and the key card. The first time I cruised with Princess it was the same situation but this was the Sapphire Princess way back in 2005 when Americans, British, Europeans were all in the majority and Australians were in the extreme minority even based out of Sydney! Again no lanyards on that ship.

By 2008 I had done a party cruise on the Sun Princess. By this time it was full of Australians and this was the first time I noticed the lanyards. On all following cruises of ships that are based out of Sydney and full of Australians I have always noticed the lanyards. On all Princess cruises out of Japan, South America and other places I have been to where Australians are the minority there are little to no lanyards.

My theory is that no lanyards is the world wide trend for cruising. That is the trend I have kept. However I think at some point in the past probably on the P&O Australia ships, some Australians started wearing them and others started following the trend.

It is definitely not a world wide trend and boarding a Princess ship in Sydney is the only place in the world they punch a hole in your cruise card for a lanyard.

I find it an interesting topic. Does anyone else find this sort of psychological experiment in the video and explanation interesting?

2004 Pacific Princess out of Sydney, pretty much everyone an Aussie, lanyards everywhere.

Agreed, and it was a fair video, demonstrating something you can see to a lesser extent in everyday life.

I don't get the lanyard thing either, but it's certainly local preference.

Being a female and not having pockets in 99% of my clothes I find a lanyard the best thing since sliced bread. Love having my hands free, expecially in the buffet/pantry and if I use a fancy lanyard it doubles as a necklace. Great - no bag and no jewellery needed. I also find other passengers on shore talk to you because you have something in common. :cool:

Personally, I like to wear the black Princess Lanyard with the Black Elite Card, part of the cruise uniform for me, plus the Princess logo Polo shirt and Princess logo baseball cap, complete !! Sad I know.:o:o

I heard a rumour that all the 'holes' that get punched are actually the things that get turned into bit coins!!!!!

The value of the bit coin goes up as the colour of the 'hole' increases

Nek time I cruise I am going to demand my 'hole' back

Why not ask for any extra holes that they have in the hole punch as well:D

And even though Lanyards may not be the norm overseas, some other cruise line's cruise cards come with a hole or sometimes even a slot in them and they do this at ports around the world.:o

Yes, people are sheep in that they all have TFMO. Sometimes I will just stop in a crowd and look up and say 'WOW', invariably lots of people will stop also and look up, which causes more people to look up, etc etc.;p

Personally, I like to wear the black Princess Lanyard with the Black Elite Card, part of the cruise uniform for me, plus the Princess logo Polo shirt and Princess logo baseball cap, complete !! Sad I know.:o:o

I like your chutzpah. :')

Here’s a something else black:

513E33BA-5CAF-4A8E-8EB6-EF848C003090.jpeg.f72652cbd0017b5dc75ef14d391baab1.jpeg

Seems a bit underdressed. Being seen without the Princess tote with you...

Seems a bit underdressed. Being seen without the Princess tote with you...

LOL, Don't forget the loyalty pin.

I was born in the year of the Ram, so yes I am a sheep, I dont find wearing a lanyard on board any problem,

I work at the best tourist attraction in Melbourne and when the cruise ship passengers visit us, their lanyard makes a great ice breaker and conversation starter .

I like your chutzpah. :')

Here’s a something else black:

Swish, Sea Dream, out of my league but looks nice, real leather too.:cool:

LOL, Don't forget the loyalty pin.

Oh yes, Elite loyalty pin and ye olde Princess Tote bags, how about the Princess Stubby holders as well? :halo::o

Uncle Les is lookin' good.

Plenty of treads on CC aLanyards, ready those I’m not sure how anyone can say it’s an Aussie thing?

I was born in the year of the Ram, so yes I am a sheep, I dont find wearing a lanyard on board any problem,

I work at the best tourist attraction in Melbourne and when the cruise ship passengers visit us, their lanyard makes a great ice breaker and conversation starter .

Do you work at Melbourne Airport or at Captain cooks cabin?

Not so much about lanyard or no lanyard ( I am a lanyard person) but there are a couple of travel agents ( I know I cannot name names of course) but one who probably sells a "cruise about " every fifteen minutes and another who believe they are the"centre of flight".... yep same company..... and there are others as well, who still supply lanyards to their clients but also a plastic sleeve on the end of the lanyard for the cruise card. This plastic sleeve becomes a dead set pain in the butt when guests go their staterooms (especially after maybe a session at a bar :eek:) and then struggle to get the card out of the plastic sleeve so they can open their cabin door . Probably a nice marketing ploy but pretty damn useless and first time cruisers (and others) seem extremely grateful when I suggest to them to get rid of the plastic sleeve once I explain why.

I also don't think that the hole in the sea pass is unique to Australia. I know RCCL cards for example come pre punched (Celebrity have a slot )and Royal would not go to that sort of expense 'just' for the Aussie market and many overseas guests asked if their card has a hole in it so they must expect it, just as if they were at home.

Not so much about lanyard or no lanyard ( I am a lanyard person) but there are a couple of travel agents ( I know I cannot name names of course) but one who probably sells a "cruise about " every fifteen minutes and another who believe they are the"centre of flight".... yep same company..... and there are others as well, who still supply lanyards to their clients but also a plastic sleeve on the end of the lanyard for the cruise card. This plastic sleeve becomes a dead set pain in the butt when guests go their staterooms (especially after maybe a session at a bar :eek:) and then struggle to get the card out of the plastic sleeve so they can open their cabin door . Probably a nice marketing ploy but pretty damn useless and first time cruisers (and others) seem extremely grateful when I suggest to them to get rid of the plastic sleeve once I explain why.

I also don't think that the hole in the sea pass is unique to Australia. I know RCCL cards for example come pre punched (Celebrity have a slot )and Royal would not go to that sort of expense 'just' for the Aussie market and many overseas guests asked if their card has a hole in it so they must expect it, just as if they were at home.

Straight from the man in the know. I agree about the sleeves.

I haven’t seen those ones in particular but they sound like the one Mrs Gut likes she puts her card, coffee card and newsletter, (compass, patter whatever the line call it) all in there.

But then she DOES have strange tastes

I haven’t seen those ones in particular but they sound like the one Mrs Gut likes she puts her card, coffee card and newsletter, (compass, patter whatever the line call it) all in there.

But then she DOES have strange tastes

She certainly does ............I have met her husband :D:D