Princess cruises - cruise card - no more hole punching for lanyard?

NSWP

Just want to add has anyone seen this video -

- People are sheep. A psychological experiment with hidden cameras that show how people like to follow the trend set by other people.

On my very first cruise way back in 2002 on the Aurora I recall there were absolutely no passengers wearing lanyards. We were all given plastic wallets in our cabin and we had two cards. The cruise card and the key card. The first time I cruised with Princess it was the same situation but this was the Sapphire Princess way back in 2005 when Americans, British, Europeans were all in the majority and Australians were in the extreme minority even based out of Sydney! Again no lanyards on that ship.

By 2008 I had done a party cruise on the Sun Princess. By this time it was full of Australians and this was the first time I noticed the lanyards. On all following cruises of ships that are based out of Sydney and full of Australians I have always noticed the lanyards. On all Princess cruises out of Japan, South America and other places I have been to where Australians are the minority there are little to no lanyards.

My theory is that no lanyards is the world wide trend for cruising. That is the trend I have kept. However I think at some point in the past probably on the P&O Australia ships, some Australians started wearing them and others started following the trend.

It is definitely not a world wide trend and boarding a Princess ship in Sydney is the only place in the world they punch a hole in your cruise card for a lanyard.

I find it an interesting topic. Does anyone else find this sort of psychological experiment in the video and explanation interesting?

- People are sheep. A psychological experiment with hidden cameras that show how people like to follow the trend set by other people.

On my very first cruise way back in 2002 on the Aurora I recall there were absolutely no passengers wearing lanyards. We were all given plastic wallets in our cabin and we had two cards. The cruise card and the key card. The first time I cruised with Princess it was the same situation but this was the Sapphire Princess way back in 2005 when Americans, British, Europeans were all in the majority and Australians were in the extreme minority even based out of Sydney! Again no lanyards on that ship.

By 2008 I had done a party cruise on the Sun Princess. By this time it was full of Australians and this was the first time I noticed the lanyards. On all following cruises of ships that are based out of Sydney and full of Australians I have always noticed the lanyards. On all Princess cruises out of Japan, South America and other places I have been to where Australians are the minority there are little to no lanyards.

My theory is that no lanyards is the world wide trend for cruising. That is the trend I have kept. However I think at some point in the past probably on the P&O Australia ships, some Australians started wearing them and others started following the trend.

It is definitely not a world wide trend and boarding a Princess ship in Sydney is the only place in the world they punch a hole in your cruise card for a lanyard.

I find it an interesting topic. Does anyone else find this sort of psychological experiment in the video and explanation interesting?

2004 Pacific Princess out of Sydney, pretty much everyone an Aussie, lanyards everywhere.

Agreed, and it was a fair video, demonstrating something you can see to a lesser extent in everyday life.

I don't get the lanyard thing either, but it's certainly local preference.

Being a female and not having pockets in 99% of my clothes I find a lanyard the best thing since sliced bread. Love having my hands free, expecially in the buffet/pantry and if I use a fancy lanyard it doubles as a necklace. Great - no bag and no jewellery needed. I also find other passengers on shore talk to you because you have something in common. :cool:

Personally, I like to wear the black Princess Lanyard with the Black Elite Card, part of the cruise uniform for me, plus the Princess logo Polo shirt and Princess logo baseball cap, complete !! Sad I know.:o:o

I heard a rumour that all the 'holes' that get punched are actually the things that get turned into bit coins!!!!!

The value of the bit coin goes up as the colour of the 'hole' increases

Nek time I cruise I am going to demand my 'hole' back

Why not ask for any extra holes that they have in the hole punch as well:D

And even though Lanyards may not be the norm overseas, some other cruise line's cruise cards come with a hole or sometimes even a slot in them and they do this at ports around the world.:o

Yes, people are sheep in that they all have TFMO. Sometimes I will just stop in a crowd and look up and say 'WOW', invariably lots of people will stop also and look up, which causes more people to look up, etc etc.;p

Personally, I like to wear the black Princess Lanyard with the Black Elite Card, part of the cruise uniform for me, plus the Princess logo Polo shirt and Princess logo baseball cap, complete !! Sad I know.:o:o

I like your chutzpah. :')

Here’s a something else black:

513E33BA-5CAF-4A8E-8EB6-EF848C003090.jpeg.f72652cbd0017b5dc75ef14d391baab1.jpeg

Seems a bit underdressed. Being seen without the Princess tote with you...

I was born in the year of the Ram, so yes I am a sheep, I dont find wearing a lanyard on board any problem,

I work at the best tourist attraction in Melbourne and when the cruise ship passengers visit us, their lanyard makes a great ice breaker and conversation starter .

I was born in the year of the Ram, so yes I am a sheep, I dont find wearing a lanyard on board any problem,

I work at the best tourist attraction in Melbourne and when the cruise ship passengers visit us, their lanyard makes a great ice breaker and conversation starter .

Do you work at Melbourne Airport or at Captain cooks cabin?

Not so much about lanyard or no lanyard ( I am a lanyard person) but there are a couple of travel agents ( I know I cannot name names of course) but one who probably sells a "cruise about " every fifteen minutes and another who believe they are the"centre of flight".... yep same company..... and there are others as well, who still supply lanyards to their clients but also a plastic sleeve on the end of the lanyard for the cruise card. This plastic sleeve becomes a dead set pain in the butt when guests go their staterooms (especially after maybe a session at a bar :eek:) and then struggle to get the card out of the plastic sleeve so they can open their cabin door . Probably a nice marketing ploy but pretty damn useless and first time cruisers (and others) seem extremely grateful when I suggest to them to get rid of the plastic sleeve once I explain why.

I also don't think that the hole in the sea pass is unique to Australia. I know RCCL cards for example come pre punched (Celebrity have a slot )and Royal would not go to that sort of expense 'just' for the Aussie market and many overseas guests asked if their card has a hole in it so they must expect it, just as if they were at home.

Not so much about lanyard or no lanyard ( I am a lanyard person) but there are a couple of travel agents ( I know I cannot name names of course) but one who probably sells a "cruise about " every fifteen minutes and another who believe they are the"centre of flight".... yep same company..... and there are others as well, who still supply lanyards to their clients but also a plastic sleeve on the end of the lanyard for the cruise card. This plastic sleeve becomes a dead set pain in the butt when guests go their staterooms (especially after maybe a session at a bar :eek:) and then struggle to get the card out of the plastic sleeve so they can open their cabin door . Probably a nice marketing ploy but pretty damn useless and first time cruisers (and others) seem extremely grateful when I suggest to them to get rid of the plastic sleeve once I explain why.

I also don't think that the hole in the sea pass is unique to Australia. I know RCCL cards for example come pre punched (Celebrity have a slot )and Royal would not go to that sort of expense 'just' for the Aussie market and many overseas guests asked if their card has a hole in it so they must expect it, just as if they were at home.

Straight from the man in the know. I agree about the sleeves.

I haven’t seen those ones in particular but they sound like the one Mrs Gut likes she puts her card, coffee card and newsletter, (compass, patter whatever the line call it) all in there.

But then she DOES have strange tastes

I haven’t seen those ones in particular but they sound like the one Mrs Gut likes she puts her card, coffee card and newsletter, (compass, patter whatever the line call it) all in there.

She certainly does ............I have met her husband :D:D

I sometimes have my card attached to the lanyard via the hole (for the reasons gbenjo mentions) & also have the sleeve on the lanyard to hold coffee card & receipts - extra strange?? But to offset I never wear my loyalty pins 😄

I sometimes have my card attached to the lanyard via the hole (for the reasons gbenjo mentions) & also have the sleeve on the lanyard to hold coffee card & receipts - extra strange?? But to offset I never wear my loyalty pins 😄

You wouldn't want to be too laden down.:D

You wouldn't want to be too laden down.:D

Oh, sometimes I am, as we have a 'deal' that if we win anything on the ship like trivia or novelty event, we have to wear the trophy for the next 24hrs. Lucky we rarely win, although I once got bronze in the putting comp, and our team won a ship on a stick once! Yes, I know it's very sad ;)

I might ask for one of those bitcoin holes next time:)