LIVE (kinda live, maybe live?) REFLECTION 10-night Ultimate Caribbean

aring75

By any chance would you know if the Cocobay Resort is relatively close to the dock?

I remember our guide pointing out the CocoBay Resort, but we were on the water. I’m not sure how far from the port it was. I’m sorry! I noticed on their website they have a toll-free number. It might be worth calling them directly to find out. Looks like a gorgeous place!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember our guide pointing out the CocoBay Resort, but we were on the water. I’m not sure how far from the port it was. I’m sorry! I noticed on their website they have a toll-free number. It might be worth calling them directly to find out. Looks like a gorgeous place!!

No problem. Thanks.

Hi to all!

aring75, I am LOVING your commentary and photos! Your sense of humor is amazing. Please keep them coming! Also, can/would you please tell me who the Captain is now? I am seeing conflicting information on FB. Thanks.

And, RoLoHa, I am SO looking forward to meeting you! I think maybe you will be able to get internet in Cozumel, IF we are docked, not tendered, and IF you sit at the end of the ship closest to land. (Too many if's - Sorry!) I don't know for sure on -X-, but on some of the other lines, their phone and/or internet was not available in port, so you might be able to pick up outside service. Just be sure to watch your available networks and don't use the onboard one. Hope this helps!

We changed our plans, and are leaving Sunday and staying over. I am really relieved, because that takes all the stress of crossing Alligator Alley off, and we can start our mini-vacation a day early.

See you all onboard! Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

Hi loving your review thanks. We are on 12 night ultimate Caribbean on Silhouette in Jan . Can I ask what kind of camera you used for the underwater shots?

Thanks

Sure! It’s an Olympus TG-5. I’ve also used it for some of the non-underwater shots. It’s my go-to camera for excursions because it can take a beating. Also, I never worry about rain, or whether I can get the shot when we are kayaking or snorkeling or whatever.

My husband uses his fancy Canon with all the lenses and settings and what-not on many of our land vacations, but I love the point and shoot simplicity of this one for underwater shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi to all!

aring75, I am LOVING your commentary and photos! Your sense of humor is amazing. Please keep them coming! Also, can/would you please tell me who the Captain is now? I am seeing conflicting information on FB. Thanks.

See you all onboard! Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

Sure! The master of the ship is Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis. He has a great sense of humor and is very personable. [emoji4]

And this advertisement was offered with last night’s packet of papers and Celebrity Today. A discount on the unlimited internet package for the remainder of the cruise.

5a25aa22107e9ccdaae02f22d4be3a95.jpg

And there’s something called the “Ultimate BBQ” for only...wait for it...$70 per person. Seventy dollars for BBQ people. And that’s IF you have the drinks package. I kinda want to do it just to see what $70 BBQ looks like. But I’m not sure what our trip insurance actually covers.

“I’m sorry ma’am, but we believe you are the one who gave your husband that heart attack when you told him your BBQ dinner was going to cost the two of you $140. Your claim has been denied.”

86e8c8cb3537a153c6fcc352a7c4648e.jpg

Today in Barbados we did a private tour that I booked through TripAdvisor several months ago. It’s a walking food tour which combines Bajan history with authentic local food.

(Not kidding. My phone just tried to autocorrect Bajan to Bananarama. That’s kinda fantastic.)

Back to the tour. Our guide Janelle was amazing! We were lucky in that she is a self-proclaimed history nut. She’s a voracious reader and loves history. (The other young lady who presents the tour is actually a history major, so you can’t lose!)

You start your tour in downtown Bridgetown at Independence Square. From there, you visit 7-8 different local places (which you seriously would never find on your own). You try local favorites like meat pastries, fish cakes, a local chicken soup (which was more like a delicious chowder), fresh produce, flying fish and cou cou, and several refreshing beverages. If you are interested in trying local cuisine and being a little bit adventurous, I totally recommend this tour!

As you walk from place to place the guide points out different buildings, churches, monuments, etc. and explains the history and connections behind them. Also, the tour groups are kept small (ours was only four people) and since you are with the tour, you have a minimal wait at each of the restaurants. Loved this tour and this was our fourth trip to Barbados.

I don’t know what the rules are for posting the names of tour vendors, so I won’t do anything to get myself into trouble, but I’d be happy to share the information with anyone who wants it.

Walking along the boardwalk on our tour.

243372b9a8d95818433a11366274dfef.jpg

Sitting at the balcony overlooking Swan Street. We walked through a shop and up a set of stairs to get to this café.

914697e2e6f3aef8590a1b515167b155.jpg

It seems Celebrity internet is very pricey?

I guess so! Did you see that copy of the "special" that aring75 just posted? They are on the 10-night now, and that $199 for half of it is unbelievable! Does that mean our 4-night will be $160 on SALE? Wow. Sorry - just looked and it is $143.50 per person for our cruise, and that is listed as supposedly a discounted rate. Still too pricey for me.

It seems Celebrity internet is very pricey?

Yes, I think it is quite expensive. We would not have the internet package this cruise, except that we booked with a travel agent on Memorial Day weekend that was offering a free upgrade to the GoBest package. Honestly, I don’t think we’d ever pay for it unless there was a serious reason we needed to be in touch with people back home. Usually we get 90 minutes each as part of the Elite package, and we make that stretch for the entire cruise.

No live updates when we’re the ones footing the bill, lol!! [emoji23]

Hello: Do you know if Cafe al Bacio has any holiday themed beverages (i.e. gingerbread latte or peppermint mocha)? Thank you .

Okay. So this morning I asked about special flavors for the holidays. I specifically said Peppermint Mocha (because that’s the one I could remember from your post). The young lady I asked looked slightly confused and pointed me to the section on the menu where it says you can add a shot of flavor to your coffee or tea. You know, caramel or vanilla, etc. So I’m thinking the answer is no? No special coffee flavors?

But I’m going to ask one more time and try to speak to one of the people behind the counter fixing the coffees. They were slammed this morning. Hmmm...maybe one of the syrups is peppermint. You could make your own peppermint mocha just by adding that to the café mocha maybe?

I’ll check that too!

Sure! The master of the ship is Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis. He has a great sense of humor and is very personable. [emoji4]

Thanks! Captain Kafetzis was the Master of the Silhouette in 2013 when my friend and I did the TA to Rome. He was great! I had seen on FB that he was leaving the Reflection after the cruise right before yours because he was going to be the Master of the Edge the end of 2018. I was so hoping that he was staying on the Reflection until after our cruise next week, and am very happy that he probably will be there at least until then. Having him as the Captain when you are cruising is an experience not to be missed!

Enjoy his daily info updates and don't miss his informational talk and Q&A in the main theater. You will be VERY glad you attended. However, if you miss it, they usually replay it on the in-cabin TV.

Worth taking the time to watch!

Thanks so much for your day to day review. We have (at this time) the same original itinerary. I'm glad St. Thomas is on your final schedule but hope Martinique gets changed. We were on the EQ during hurricane Irma in September and went to Martinique. The town is not like it used to be with overgrown grass and broken sidewalks. There aren't any beaches close by nor things to do there. Oh we shall see.

Okay. So this morning I asked about special flavors for the holidays. I specifically said Peppermint Mocha (because that’s the one I could remember from your post). The young lady I asked looked slightly confused and pointed me to the section on the menu where it says you can add a shot of flavor to your coffee or tea. You know, caramel or vanilla, etc. So I’m thinking the answer is no? No special coffee flavors?

But I’m going to ask one more time and try to speak to one of the people behind the counter fixing the coffees. They were slammed this morning. Hmmm...maybe one of the syrups is peppermint. You could make your own peppermint mocha just by adding that to the café mocha maybe?

I’ll check that too!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Would love to find out who you used and more info for the Barbados excursion. Do you know if there are postings discussing who you used on the Barbados Ports of Call board?

There’s nothing on the Barbados Ports board. If you do a Google search for “Barbados Food Tour” it’s the first or second to come up. It’s the one that sounds like “licorice” and it has more than 100 reviews on TripAdvisor. Mostly 4 and 5 star. LMK if you need more info to find it!