Purchasing FCDs for others while on your cruise

StLouisCruisers

This may be a test program which would explain why they have not announced it. Princess is always looking for ways to increase the bottom line and one way is to entice future cruises to be booked. One advantage of a FCD is that it allows a low deposit on a cruise that normally would require hundreds of dollars to book. Then of course is the OBC attached to the FCD. FCDs encourage booking again on Princess instead of another cruise line which is a benefit that is not lost to Princess. Loyalty programs encourage the same response.

Our DS and his family have cruised several times on Princess at our invitation and will be doing it again in the next few years. If available on our next cruise we will no doubt purchase FCDs for them in preparation. Hopefully it will be available.

Sorry. I still just think it is wrong. If you aren't cruising then you shouldn't get the benefit bestowed on those who are cruising - or at least doing a BVE. It just devalues the perk.

The did this when it first came out. No one complained then. And the perks were higher.

So glad you live within driving distance of a port to do a BVE. Not all of us have that option. I think I am 20 plus hours from a port.

This may be a test program which would explain why they have not announced it. Princess is always looking for ways to increase the bottom line and one way is to entice future cruises to be booked. One advantage of a FCD is that it allows a low deposit on a cruise that normally would require hundreds of dollars to book. Then of course is the OBC attached to the FCD. FCDs encourage booking again on Princess instead of another cruise line which is a benefit that is not lost to Princess. Loyalty programs encourage the same response.

I would add....there have been promos by other cruise lines offering deposits as low as $1. How many of these resulted in dropped bookings? or completed bookings?

By expanding the FCD program, Princess may feel they are retaining some level of control and a greater percentage of completed bookings and sailings.

It is, after all, all about the money.

Wow. This has potential to dramatically increase the amount of FCD's on the books for people. Especially if the associated OBC credits apply when booking a cruise and using the FCD. A FCD with no OBC is just like lending Princess your money with 0% interest.

Maybe. But they probably had more on the books when they allowed people to keep them for 4 years.

Hello All,

I am currently sailing on the Royal Princess and the future cruise consultant did verify you can now purchase FCD's for passengers not onboard as long as they have sailed with Princess and have a captain circle number. I told her I got the opposite answer when I called corporate in Santa Clarita and she said she would send them an email.

This is curious. We just got off the Royal last week (12/20) and I tried to purchase a couple FCD’s for family not on the ship and she told us open you absolutely could NOT do so. Lol.

Who knows....

They allow four years now, but you have to ask for the extension.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know.

We were just told by FCC the reason they reduced from 4 years to 2 years was because expiration dates for credit cards are frequently 2 years. This made no sense to me as someones card may expire right after getting off the ship.

Good to know.

We were just told by FCC the reason they reduced from 4 years to 2 years was because expiration dates for credit cards are frequently 2 years. This made no sense to me as someones card may expire right after getting off the ship.

Makes no sense to me, either. The FCD is charged to your credit card immediately. Whether that credit card expires or not within the time frame has no merit.

Makes no sense to me, either. The FCD is charged to your credit card immediately. Whether that credit card expires or not within the time frame has no merit.

Yes, a card could expire the month after a FCD is purchased. Banks will process refunds after expiry to the new card, if account is still open. Otherwise, the customer will still get a refund, even if it cannot be processed. Princess has to try the credit card first.

I want to weigh in with a slightly different scenario. When we were on the Regal in January 2017, we talked to the Future Cruise Director about purchasing FCD for a cruise we had planned for November 2017. We mentioned that we were bringing two of our daughters who had never cruised before. We casually mentioned that it would be nice if we could purchase FCDs for them in order to get the OBC. I was shocked when she said she could and I provided all the information she needed to create a Princess Circle account number for both of them. We had a great cruise on the Regal Princess this past November and my daughters received OBC for their FCD. I'm guessing that since I actually booked our cruise on board they were able to apply the FCD to my daughters' booking versus just purchasing FCD, which is what we normally do. This probably isn't standard policy and I have never heard of this happening (and didn't expect it), but it was nice to have the extra OBC for them and they had a fantastic first cruise.

im new to this.. can someone explain one more time what the benefit is exactly to get these future cruise credits while on board? what perks do you get? how much on board credit? is it for your cruse your currently on? or is it for the cruise you will book using the credit? i know everyone does it here on the boards and its talked about alot .. im just curious what the actual breakdown is of the benefits of doing so

im new to this.. can someone explain one more time what the benefit is exactly to get these future cruise credits while on board? what perks do you get? how much on board credit? is it for your cruse your currently on? or is it for the cruise you will book using the credit? i know everyone does it here on the boards and its talked about alot .. im just curious what the actual breakdown is of the benefits of doing so

You pay $100 for each Future Cruise Deposit & here are the credits you receive when using the FCD on a future cruise & not on the cruise where it is purchased.

Length of Voyage

Per Person Shipboard Credits*

17 nights +

$150 Balcony/Mini/Suites, $125 Inside/Outside

11 – 16 nights

$100 Balcony/Mini/Suites, $75 Inside/Outside

7 – 10 nights

$50 Balcony/Mini/Suites, $25 Inside/Outside

3 – 6 nights

$25 Balcony/Mini/Suites, $15 Inside/Outside

If, you purchase FCD for other past Princess passenger that are not on your cruise, what does the Future Cruise agent need to know about the other past passenger -

Name

Captain Circle Number

currency for FCD

anything else?

Do you need to know other person credit number or is it put on your credit card?

Normally I fill out the form and drop it off in the box, if doing for others, I guess you would have to talk to the Future Cruise agent?