Norovirus on Allure?!?!

discru

We sail out on the Allure Sunday, and just received this email from Royal:

"We are looking forward to welcoming you onboard Allure of the Seas.

During the current sailing, some guests onboard experienced gastrointestinal illness. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your cruise.

To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive at the terminal after 12:00 p.m. As stated in your cruise documents, your check-in window is between 12:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Royal Caribbean would like to remind all guests, Allure of the Seas will depart at 4:30 p.m. All guests must be checked in and onboard 60 minutes prior to sail time.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Allure of the Seas." Is there anyone currently on the Allure that can tell me how bad it is? Traveling with an elderly mom.. curious what's happening on the ship. I'm sure it's washy washy and heavy cleaning.

"Tis the season for noro...it's in EVERY school...and you can contract it anywhere. The best thing for YOU to do, is NEVER, EVER touch your face (nose, eyes or mouth) without washing your hands first. It's hard to do, because everyone touches their face all the time. Having germs on your hands won't make you ill....unless you allow them ENTRY into your body via nose, mouth or eyes! Just practice good personal hygiene and you should be fine.

Noro is so contagious because you can have the virus several days BEFORE you get the symptoms and infect others. Once it hits you, you will NOT be "out and about".....you will be in your own space, near a toilet and bed.

And bring your own pens for the health forms. Don’t use the pens everyone else is touching!!!

(For all cruises, not just this one)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is BRILLIANT! My Christmas shopping is done... Lysol wipes, squirty wash, AND pens! Thanks for the tips!

And bring your own pens for the health forms. Don’t use the pens everyone else is touching!!!

(For all cruises, not just this one)

We take extra health forms so we can fill them out at home and just turn them in at the terminal. Quicker and less touching!

Good tips. First I have heard abt cleaning the port terminal. Great idea! I know what I'm buying my family members for Christmas.. Hitting the stores tomorrow for extra Lysol wipes and squirty wash.

Sadly, the only thing that kills norovirus is bleach and you don't want to use bleach on your hands as it is poisonous. Lysol wipes won't kill it. In fact, Clorox wipes won't kill it because the wipes do not contain bleach. There really are no proven hand sanitizers that kill the norovirus either. There is one on Amazon called Germstar Noro spray but even that was tested on a virus that mimics norovirus, so the assumption is that if it worked on that, it would likely work on norovirus, but they really don't know for sure. I personally use the Germstar spray because it beats a blank. I have an acute phobia to the norovirus and have researched extensively on how to prevent it. Hope this helps!

Maybe it was also flu they are taking care of. I got off of Allure on the 17th and tested positive the next day. I was sitting in the Ft Lauderdale airport and felt the sore throat starting. Ugh.

On allure now and never saw or signed any health form on embarkment 12/17/27

I got off the ship on the 17th and they were given to us to fill out when we checked in. Sounds like the agent forgot to give it to you.

I got a flu shot about a month ago and didn’t even get the coughing crud that usually goes around the ship.

We take extra health forms so we can fill them out at home and just turn them in at the terminal. Quicker and less touching!

They have always made us fill out the health form when we check in as it is asking questions about the previous 24hrs.

We were on the 12/17-24 sailing on the Allure. I didn't hear anything about Noro or stomach virus until our last day when there was a form in our cabin asking if we had been sick with any stomach virus while on the cruise. We had not, however our whole family had some sort of respiratory virus (flu or cold). I'm still coughing like crazy and think I may have bronchitis. The staff cleaned like crazy and there were Purell stations EVERYWHERE, not just in the restaurants. I did hear a lot of passengers coughing, just like my family.

On allure now and never saw or signed any health form on embarkment 12/17/27

Surprised you weren’t wrestled to the ground trying to walk away from check-in without it. [emoji2]

Gregg

How do you obtain the health forms ahead of time? Thanks for any help,

I thought they were included as part of your cruise documents (boarding pass, luggage tags, medical questionnaire) from Royal?

I know Carnival includes the medical form along with everything else, like the ticketing contract, as printable PDFs.

I thought they were included as part of your cruise documents (boarding pass, luggage tags, medical questionnaire) from Royal?

I know Carnival includes the medical form along with everything else, like the ticketing contract, as printable PDFs.

Royal distributes a very short heallh questionaire as part of cruise terminal check-in.