Is the BREAKAWAY OK!!???

caddykid12

They should be happy they got that
:confused: ;p you think :eek: - and, super generous.

A different live report posted today - "on the Gem now. Captain is wonderful, went thru storm, 100mph plus winds, 40 plus foot waves, did fine. Were indoors first day and a half. In Antigua. No damage."

Those that sailed out of NYC got NOTHING ?? ;)

I would like to ask about the listing and how it was experienced by passengers who have been on multiple ships that listed. It doesn't sound like this sailing of the Breakaway was equal to The Poseidon Adventure (1972). I think two people could look down from the uphill side of a list and form diverging ideas of how many degrees it was, and people looking up that same incline would have yet another opinion. There are ways to measure this angle, but most people who own the necessary equipment, left it in their SUV at home. Can anyone speak from experience about such issues?

I think a severe list could directly be dangerous, and it doesn't sound like any report of that type of injury is available.

I would like to ask about the listing and how it was experienced by passengers who have been on multiple ships that listed. It doesn't sound like this sailing of the Breakaway was equal to The Poseidon Adventure (1972). I think two people could look down from the uphill side of a list and form diverging ideas of how many degrees it was, and people looking up that same incline would have yet another opinion. There are ways to measure this angle, but most people who own the necessary equipment, left it in their SUV at home. Can anyone speak from experience about such issues?

I think a severe list could directly be dangerous, and it doesn't sound like any report of that type of injury is available.

I can say that it takes quite a few years to learn to estimate listing or even rolling accurately. I've seen many ridiculous claims of lists and rolls from cruisers.

A "severe" list could be dangerous, but a "severe" list is in the 35+*, and I can guarantee that given the reports of damage, that the BA was nowhere near this. Listing is, as I've said before, caused by wind force, and the ship will heel over until the force the ship creates by listing equals the force of the wind. In nearly all cases, the further a ship heels over, the more force the ship generates to right itself, so it really becomes more stable at the heel angle.

The only time a list or heel becomes dangerous is when the ship gets to the situation of "deck edge immersion", which is when the first non-watertight deck (the promenade deck on cruise ships) touches the sea on the low side, which can lead to water entering through the non-watertight doors, and downflooding into the hull of the ship. This can lead to "free surface" effect of unconstrained liquid flowing inside the hull, which will increase the heel, and can lead to the ship rolling over. However, that frightening scenario would only happen if the ship heeled over to 35+* (depends on design how far above the 35* mark) and at that time, every item that was not welded down would have broken (dishes, glasses, booze), and everyone would have been thrown out of their bed, and be nearly walking on the walls not the decks. A 10* heel that I've heard reported for the BA would be "uncomfortable", but in no way dangerous.

they have gotten a good deal of media attention and those smart enough to demand some compensation will probably get it...there are times when even if they are compliant with the contract and I don't doubt they are covered legally...it is better to just settle up to avoid further bad press...in fact those that do get compensation above the crazy small offer so far will probably have to go silent and we will never know.

On the Gem a few years ago coming back from Bermuda we hit a storm with 30-35 waves which lasted late afternoon until the following morning. According to an App I was using our max list was 12 degrees. It was uncomfortable be we never felt unsafe. The biggest hassle was trying to brace yourself in the shower.

this is why i prefer inside cabins.

Ppl scoff and look down on inside cruisers, but i am always concerned of water flooding my stateroom. doors are only plastic, rubber, and glass, which degrades and doesn't do much against big waves and strong winds.

The biggest realization I had on being on this cruise...there is no Plan B.

When hurricanes hit land they often announce that at the hight of the storm no one will be able to get out to help you, well same holds true on board. Lifeboats are a joke, if massive ships like this are tilting and water pouring through cabins and hallways...lifeboat won't help...and the big problem is, is that you can't get to them.

At the height of the storm its almost impossible to get across the room to get to the bathroom, I have bruises all over my legs from bashing into things, in trying to do so.

My son, a trained firefighter who is 6'4" and incredibly strong, he stayed up all night on the lower decks to keep an eye on things and to help calm some hysterical passengers...he had serious trouble getting up the stairs. The elevators were down. If he's having trouble navigating the stairs, I can barely get across the room and I'm healthy and in good shape...what chance do elderly people have. If it's almost impossible to get across the room...how do you get to your muster station?

There is a reason that cruisers were terrified on this ship. I have cruised for over 30 years, never once have I been scared on a ship...this was terrifying.

There is a reason people are turning down the compensation offers...the safety issues are far more important.

When hurricanes hit land they often announce that at the hight of the storm no one will be able to get out to help you, well same holds true on board. Lifeboats are a joke, if massive ships like this are tilting and water pouring through cabins and hallways...lifeboat won't help...and the big problem is, is that you can't get to them.

At the height of the storm its almost impossible to get across the room to get to the bathroom, I have bruises all over my legs from bashing into things, in trying to do so.

My son, a trained firefighter who is 6'4" and incredibly strong, he stayed up all night on the lower decks to keep an eye on things and to help calm some hysterical passengers...he had serious trouble getting up the stairs. The elevators were down. If he's having trouble navigating the stairs, I can barely get across the room and I'm healthy and in good shape...what chance do elderly people have. If it's almost impossible to get across the room...how do you get to your muster station?

There is a reason that cruisers were terrified on this ship. I have cruised for over 30 years, never once have I been scared on a ship...this was terrifying.

There is a reason people are turning down the compensation offers...the safety issues are far more important.

What "safety issues", specifically.

Despite Hollywood and even the recent El Faro incident (where I lost professional acquaintances), the ship in this case was in absolutely no danger of foundering, and I can guarantee that there was never any thought in the Captain's mind to consider putting passengers in lifeboats. Mariners have long known that the "best lifeboat is the ship", meaning that you stay with the ship until the last moment. As I've said (not sure which BA thread), just look at examples of ships like the Badger State that survived typhoons with no power, no crew, and holes in the hull, to realize that while riding out a hurricane or typhoon on a ship, even one without power, would be painful, and scary, it is still the best chance of survival.

Having said that, as someone who has in fact used lifeboats and life rafts in the open ocean, again, you will not be comfortable, you will not be warm, you will not be dry, and you will not have privacy in a lifeboat, but you will survive. If the Captain had decided to abandon ship, the crew would have been available in great numbers to assist people getting to muster, and officers are trained to spot likely candidates whose personality is classified as the leader type, who can be used as "force multipliers" assisting the crew in assisting the other passengers.

Even in the chaos of the Concordia, 23 of 26 lifeboats were successfully launched, and these lifeboats brought over two thirds of all persons onboard to shore. And remember that Captain Bligh made a voyage of 3500 miles in the open ocean in an open launch, about half the size of a cruise ship's lifeboat. And the man who crossed the Atlantic in a life raft for 76 days in 1981. Consider all of this when you claim that "lifeboats are a joke".

Speaking of the Captain of the Costa Concordia...there were times, especially with the lack of communications...that passengers were wondering if he lost his mind or playing god, for sending us into this massive storm that was announced days in advance. The Costa Concordia was also not sailing through a storm, hence lifeboats weren't an issue.

Speaking of the Captain of the Costa Concordia...there were times, especially with the lack of communications...that passengers were wondering if he lost his mind or playing god, for sending us into this massive storm that was announced days in advance. The Costa Concordia was also not sailing through a storm, hence lifeboats weren't an issue.
The Captain obviously didn't lose his mind, because he didn't steer the ship into the storm (which you continue to say), he was behind it and everyone came home safe, because of his abilities. You might have been scared, but you are safely home. I understand that you are looking for a big payday, but unfortunately others who were on the ship paint an entirely different picture and the videos do as well.

The Captain obviously didn't lose his mind, because he didn't steer the ship into the storm (which you continue to say), he was behind it and everyone came home safe, because of his abilities. You might have been scared, but you are safely home. I understand that you are looking for a big payday, but unfortunately others who were on the ship paint an entirely different picture and the videos do as well.

The captain of the Concordia was drunk and showing off to his mistress. The repeated mentions of him are really a huge distortion on the BA situation.

The captain of the Concordia was drunk and showing off to his mistress. The repeated mentions of him are really a huge distortion on how the BA situation.
Maybe you should post this to the person who brought the Concordia captain up, since I never have, but I do agree with you it has nothing to do with the Breakaway situation and the poster is just doing it for the sensationalism factor.

Maybe you should post this to the person who brought the Concordia captain up, since I never have, but I do agree with you it has nothing to do with the Breakaway situation.

I didn't mean it to criticize your response, more to add on to it. My biggest concern if I were ever in a situation where the ship were to be abandoned would not be the integrity of lifeboats, but the behavior of uncontrollable panicked passengers.

Per posted reports...You were behind the storm!! The ocean just doesn't calm down magically after a nor'easter rolls up the coast. Additionally you were no longer in carribean waters...You were in the N Atlantic which has ocean depths of over 3 miles in that area.... Therefore rough seas can be expected even on normal sunny days. I understand your concerns and feel sorry for your rough last few days of your cruise...but these type of weather conditions can occur this time of year when you cruise out of the NE

You were and are safe. There were no safety issues. Being terrified and being safe are different things. Yes, you were terrified. But you were also safe.

Good grief, people.

I don't think anyone should make light of someone else's trauma. You do not know what people went through, sitting behind a keyboard bashing someone because they were scared makes you a bully. I've seen a lot of the videos and I would not want to get on that ship after seeing that. What about the mold that is now growing because there's no way that much water can be dried in a day. Heading into warmer climates where it will just multiply? What about all the vomiting that occurred? It's good to have an opinion, but to bash people because of what they (not you) went through is not classy. Imagine being on there with your kids and they're scared... are you going to bully them too! The world is becoming a scary place where everyone can sit anonymously behind a screen and say whatever they want. And now I'll wait for y'all to start bashing me. Whatever!

I don't think anyone should make light of someone else's trauma. You do not know what people went through, sitting behind a keyboard bashing someone because they were scared makes you a bully. I've seen a lot of the videos and I would not want to get on that ship after seeing that. What about the mold that is now growing because there's no way that much water can be dried in a day. Heading into warmer climates where it will just multiply? What about all the vomiting that occurred? It's good to have an opinion, but to bash people because of what they (not you) went through is not classy. Imagine being on there with your kids and they're scared... are you going to bully them too! The world is becoming a scary place where everyone can sit anonymously behind a screen and say whatever they want. And now I'll wait for y'all to start bashing me. Whatever!

agreed with everything you said.

ppl here are vicious

Edited by CruisingUS

Some of us have stated several times that we are very sorry that passengers had to go through what they did. We even acknowledge their subjective fear. However, many people question the objective viability of such fear and that is also fair.

For me, I just try to stick to facts ... not hyperbole or opinion. What drives me crazy are the people who are constantly repeating inaccuracies to justify their fear and make the situation seem worse than it was.

No matter how many times someone states in multiple threads, the captain most certainly did NOT direct the ship into the storm. He trailed a safe distance behind it, balancing the needs/safety of the passengers, crew and ship against multiple factors ... and YES including the ship's schedule as well as probably a dozen factors none of us are qualified to evaluate. He is a licensed professional and I highly doubt the people on here giving their "opinion" are nearly as informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some of us have stated several times that we are very sorry that passengers had to go through what they did. We even acknowledge their subjective fear. However, many people question the objective viability of such fear and that is also fair.

For me, I just try to stick to facts ... not hyperbole or opinion. What drives me crazy are the people who are constantly repeating inaccuracies to justify their fear and make the situation seem worse than it was.

No matter how many times someone states in multiple threads, the captain most certainly did NOT direct the ship into the storm. He trailed a safe distance behind it, balancing the needs/safety of the passengers, crew and ship against multiple factors ... and YES including the ship's schedule as well as probably a dozen factors none of us are qualified to evaluate. He is a licensed professional and I highly doubt the people on here giving their "opinion" are nearly as informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am just saying that the fear is very real for them. i empathize with them. and fear can be heightened d/t the lack of info.

we have all the facts now, but they didn't. i cannot fault someone for how they acted based on how little info they had.

My husband and I were on the ship. I can attest to the panic level on the ship. We stayed up all night and could not sleep due the list of the ship. Going to bathroom in the middle of the night was a challenge. We literally had to crawl on own hands and feet to get into bed. We were on the 13th floor and could feel every wave rock the boat. I am seasoned traveler and have my own personal sea vessel and the swells of the seas were quite high. We dint have flooding in our room, but some in the suites did have their entire room flooded. The water came in through the seal of the balcony door. I have first hand account of this trip. I'm 50 yrs old and in great shape and had a hard time getting around and cannot imagine how people with canes/and or wheel chairs were able to use the facilities.

I saw people crying in the hallways - scared for themselves and their families.

Please DO NOT think for one minute this was a pleasure cruise because it was not. Unless you were on the ship please do not cast judgement on other's fear. It's rude and definitely uncalled for. I did see many people trying to help the elderly get around. I will say - the crew were very helpful, always with a smile on their faces and just like us...didn't sleep that first night. You can imagine how exhausted they were to turn around then work a 15 hour day with no sleep.

From now on....my husband and I will stick with a land vacation for a few years.

I hope the people that left on the 6th have a great vacation.

Yes, some folks were frightened, some even terrified, but as others on here have reported, they either nearly slept through most of it, or didn't notice the "horrible scenes" that others have reported. It's a clear case of the Rashomon effect, where everyone is affected by, and remembers, an incident differently.

How do you know that "there's no way that much water can be dried in a day."? Personal and/or professional experience, or just "I know it"? I had a cabin that was flooded to two feet deep when a passenger broke the sprinkler head and beat feet out of the cabin, and we had that cabin dry (we use a moisture content meter) within 8 hours. What is the ideal propagation temperature and moisture level for mold growth? What is the time span (I've seen reports where labs take 48-72 hours, under ideal conditions, to begin to detect mold growth)?

While it is a good thing to be concerned about certain risks, like mold, it is also intelligent to inform yourself of facts concerning those risks before worrying about them or making unsubstantiated claims.