Celebrity Silhouette- Not the same

smdubowsky

Glad to see the discussion about cruise line cutbacks is not relegated to just the Carnival forum. I didn't even know what muesli was before this thread. So, what's the deal about cold cereal being delivered via cart to your table at breakfast or brunch? I told my wife after reading the description that it sounds like something to keep the old folks (and I am one) regular during their cruse. LOL

We were on Silhouette the week before Christmas and never found any issue with the food.

The menu has said "Starters" for the last couple of years. We feel free to order app, soup, salad, entree if desired.

Most US people seem to believe they need a large protein. In reality, a 3 oz piece of meat is plenty. No one needs an 8, 12 or 16 oz steak. 3 oz of lean meat is a serving. If you are still hungry, you can always order more, but there are other things to eat as well.

We were amazed a couple of years ago on Reflection at the LCG. They were celebrating their 100th cruise. The LCG had a steak they were offering that was a full kilogram. I could not believe anyone needed 2.2 lbs of meat! We did see someone order it - for a family of 4, including 2 teen boys.

Glad to see the discussion about cruise line cutbacks is not relegated to just the Carnival forum. I didn't even know what muesli was before this thread. So, what's the deal about cold cereal being delivered via cart to your table at breakfast or brunch? I told my wife after reading the description that it sounds like something to keep the old folks (and I am one) regular during their cruse. LOL

Hahaha thanks I needed that:D Though perhaps muesli also serves that purpose (not yet being retired, I guess I’m not in a position to know lol), I think it’s really a tasty, healthy alternative once we’ve stuffed ourselves with Eggs Benedict, omelettes made to order, pastries and mountains of delicious crisp bacon for several days:') We realize that, really, something has got to give, and our waistbands no longer will:eek:

We were on Silhouette the week before Christmas and never found any issue with the food.

The menu has said "Starters" for the last couple of years. We feel free to order app, soup, salad, entree if desired.

Most US people seem to believe they need a large protein. In reality, a 3 oz piece of meat is plenty. No one needs an 8, 12 or 16 oz steak. 3 oz of lean meat is a serving. If you are still hungry, you can always order more, but there are other things to eat as well.

We were amazed a couple of years ago on Reflection at the LCG. They were celebrating their 100th cruise. The LCG had a steak they were offering that was a full kilogram. I could not believe anyone needed 2.2 lbs of meat! We did see someone order it - for a family of 4, including 2 teen boys.

People are on holiday when they embark on a cruise, so I doubt anyone is dining as they do at home. I know I’m not. I don’t judge anyone for their portion sizes or portion desires. As long as people eat what they load on their plates (instead of wasting it) I’m happy.

We thought the portions of everything at LCG were enormous! DH and I hate to waste food, but we simply couldn’t finish everything the only time we dined there.

People are on holiday when they embark on a cruise, so I doubt anyone is dining as they do at home. I know I’m not. I don’t judge anyone for their portion sizes or portion desires. As long as people eat what they load on their plates (instead of wasting it) I’m happy.

We thought the portions of everything at LCG were enormous! DH and I hate to waste food, but we simply couldn’t finish everything the only time we dined there.

I can polish off an 18 oz. espresso-rubbed dry-aged bone-in ribeye like nobody's business. I'm good for the week after that though.

Not to bash Celebrity at all, as I am very appreciative of the Elite Plus perks they give me.....but I think its a good idea to take a break and cruise another line. Even if you felt Celebrity's MDR food was absolutely fantastic....the menus are exactly the same on all ships on all sailings. Eventually you will get tired of them. Ditto the production shows. We did a cruise on NCL Getaway in September before X made Equinox available year round in the Caribbean....and really enjoyed different menus, decor, shows, etc. Ditto MSC Yacht Club. Sometimes a change is refreshing.

We needed a change from RCCL, D+, always feels like home, a good thing but the menus were always the same, so we went for a change. Sailed Holland, very good and MSC, Divina, not so good ( customer service) so looking forward to coming back to Celebrity 😀

Hahaha thanks I needed that:D Though perhaps muesli also serves that purpose (not yet being retired, I guess I’m not in a position to know lol), I think it’s really a tasty, healthy alternative once we’ve stuffed ourselves with Eggs Benedict, omelettes made to order, pastries and mountains of delicious crisp bacon for several days:') We realize that, really, something has got to give, and our waistbands no longer will:eek:

I'm glad someone found my humor funny on these boards, lol. And I look foward to trying the metamucil once on board!

Also just off the Silhouette, and I completely agree. Was my 3rd sailing on this ship, my 7th sailing in AQ, and Blu just didn't measure up.... Also did not like the fact that morning coffee delivered to the cabin is now just a plastic wrapped cup rather than a full carafe. We still had a great cruise, but we surely won't shell out the premium cash again for a less than premium experience in aqua class.

Edited by akowilm

Also just off the Silhouette, and I completely agree. Was my 3rd sailing on this ship, my 7th sailing in AQ, and Blu just didn't measure up.... Also did not like the fact that morning coffee delivered to the cabin is now just a plastic wrapped cup rather than a full carafe. We still had a great cruise, but we surely won't shell out the premium cash again for a less than premium experience in aqua class.

Akowilm, what is this about no coffee carafe for morning coffee?

Would would please describe what you received for morning coffee so we can understand the dimension of this possible yet another cutback?

Did you receive real cream or was it a fake coffee creamer?

Thank you very much.

I too wish they would rotate menu's more often. After three 7 day cruises we're a bit tired of the same menu in Luminae and plan to dine in specialties in February.

We always order a pot of coffee with real cream. If you don't specify cream you will get the non diary creamer which is nasty. But then, I only like real butter, not spreads.

We order coffee every morning. We always got the carafe but our friends in adjoining cabins were only getting the covered cups. They spoke to their room steward and room service staff and they corrected that for the rest of the cruise. Room service often called later to see if we were finished with our tray as they wanted to pick it up. Perhaps the supply of carafes is low?

When I joined Cruise Critic in 2003 ahead of my first Celebrity cruise, this forum was filled with complaints about the quality of the food going downhill and cutbacks. If I were to add up all complaints over the past 15 years, surely all Celebrity is serving these days must be dry bread and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's true...... Variety is the Spice of Life, especially when it come to cruising.

Don't let the Captains Club trick you. Mix it up, traveling is about choices and if you continue to sail the same old cruise line, pretty soon that cruise line will become unexciting, monotonous and mundane.

It's true...... Variety is the Spice of Life, especially when it come to cruising.

Don't let the Captains Club trick you. Mix it up, traveling is about choices and if you continue to sail the same old cruise line, pretty soon that cruise line will become unexciting, monotonous and mundane.

I mentioned your quote to the Mrs. in regard to our marriage of 38 years and by the time I had gotten back on my feet and my vision had cleared I had reconsidered my position..

Enjoy your cruising days.

We order coffee every morning. We always got the carafe but our friends in adjoining cabins were only getting the covered cups. They spoke to their room steward and room service staff and they corrected that for the rest of the cruise. Room service often called later to see if we were finished with our tray as they wanted to pick it up. Perhaps the supply of carafes is low?

I don't think it's just the Silhouette that is low on Carafes. We were on Constellation in Nov and one morning with our room service breakfast my carafe of coffee came as a paper cup of coffee and DHs tea came as a paper cup of hot water with a tea bag to put in it! We couldn't believe our eyes and were laughing at Celebrity's take on 'Modern Luxury'.

Julie

Coffee - We do the 7 night Silhouette followed by the 14 night Eclipse every year. On the Silhouette we order coffee for 2 in the morning room service & always get it in a thermal pitcher.... hot and good coffee. On the Eclipse the coffee comes in those little silver pitchers (like the hot water for tea) - it is always cold by the time we get it. I have talked to house-keeping & left a note at Guest Relations trying to get the coffee in a thermal carafe. As with most queries, I never understand the response. This response was that the Eclipse does not have thermal carafes & they don't know of any ship that uses them in room service. This year, I think I'll take a photo ;p

I mentioned your quote to the Mrs. in regard to our marriage of 38 years and by the time I had gotten back on my feet and my vision had cleared I had reconsidered my position..

Hehe that's funny!! Well in a great marriage spice lives..... <3

I mentioned your quote to the Mrs. in regard to our marriage of 38 years and by the time I had gotten back on my feet and my vision had cleared I had reconsidered my position...

Now, that is funny, I don't care who you are. :D

We always order a pot of coffee with real cream. If you don't specify cream you will get the non diary creamer which is nasty. But then, I only like real butter, not spreads.

You were served non-dairy creamer in Blu or via room service? Gross! I agree with you! I want the real thing, not ersatz cream or butter, or anything else.

Hahaha I like a woman who knows her own mind and communicates briskly and effectively, and I admire a man who is wise enough to listen:D My compliments to Mr. & Mrs. Nordic Prince.

We've also been AQ cruisers since the Solstice ships set sail years ago. Upcoming Feb 11 is our last Solstice Cruise - Sillouette ( next year will be on Edge ) But after last year, we decided no more AQ since we had such a disappointing experience in BLU - same complaints as above. Always moving us around - never had same waiter which was a feature we loved. And the fact that over several years, the menu NEVER changed ! Even the stale crudite and bread basket on the table was the same every year !! We ended up in specialty most nights during our last winter cruise. This year - we left AQ, opted for A1 Hump Balcony - and we'll specialty dine. Less money and more selection.... We booked Alcoves with some of the money we saved ! Bon Voyage to all - - And Can't wait to sail the Edge next February !

Edited by KittyLiXX
spelling