Booking with nonrefundable deposit - what if price drops?

kac0426

I haven't cruised with RCCL in about two years, so this may not be a new thing, not sure. But I hadn't seen it before. I noticed recently that it gives me the option to book with a refundable deposit or a nonrefundable deposit. The nonrefundable deposit is, of course, cheaper. If I choose the nonrefundable deposit option, if the price drops before final payment deadline, can I still get the lower price? Or am I locked in to the original price? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. That is good to know. Is this option a new thing for RCCL? Booking with nonrefundable versus refundable? Does it always give you that option or are they maybe just running a special right now?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. That is good to know. Is this option a new thing for RCCL? Booking with nonrefundable versus refundable? Does it always give you that option or are they maybe just running a special right now?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the general RCL options going forward. Having said that, it's not available on every cruise. I was looking at a 4 day Mariner cruise end of the summer and it only has refundable option for lower staterooms.

I haven't cruised with RCCL in about two years, so this may not be a new thing, not sure. But I hadn't seen it before. I noticed recently that it gives me the option to book with a refundable deposit or a nonrefundable deposit. The nonrefundable deposit is, of course, cheaper. If I choose the nonrefundable deposit option, if the price drops before final payment deadline, can I still get the lower price? Or am I locked in to the original price? Thanks in advance.

IN general you are probably aware that from time to time RCL will offer larger OBC and occasionally will reduce pricing too. (Not often but it does happen) If taking the OBC just be aware depending on the deal that with further price drops MAY have to account for OBC disappearing in factoring whether its worth some of the switches.

I called RCCL yesterday about our AOS cruise in May 2018. We had booked non refundable and I was told the only way to get the lower price was to cancel our existing reservation and rebook. Thus losing our deposit money. I smell a rat! Granted we would have only saved $68 but damn!

Sounds like I got scammed.

I called RCCL yesterday about our AOS cruise in May 2018. We had booked non refundable and I was told the only way to get the lower price was to cancel our existing reservation and rebook. Thus losing our deposit money. I smell a rat! Granted we would have only saved $68 but damn!

Sounds like I got scammed.

Call again

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

great I had the same question

A few days ago, RCL rolled out a "Deal" promo to go along with their 30/30% discount and when I did  a mock booking on my Anthem Aug. 29 sail saved $59 off a booked Guaranteed Balcony cabin.  Enough for dinner for 1 at Chop's and grats of 18%.:classic_biggrin:

Ps.  I frequently do mock bookings of all of my booked cruises in case of any price drops.

12 minutes ago, ibonexheadi said:

Is there an easy way to check for price drops, or do you just have to use their god awful site and go through it as if you are rebooking the cruise to see if its cheaper than your current price?

There sites on the net that will track your cruise for a minimal fee ($1) and email you when the price drops below your designated level. I've used them successfully on several trips. Look for the fishy site. 

Just now, Johnamac123 said:

There sites on the net that will track your cruise for a minimal fee ($1) and email you when the price drops below your designated level. I've used them successfully on several trips. Look for the fishy site. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

That site has been having issues for almost 2 years, I was a huge fan of it....now...not so much.

5 hours ago, ibonexheadi said:

Is there an easy way to check for price drops, or do you just have to use their god awful site and go through it as if you are rebooking the cruise to see if its cheaper than your current price?

RCI website does have some issues, and a lot of people complain about it, but I do mock bookings to check prices all the time, and seldom have problems doing so.

I was able to turn my OV 8N non refundable booking into a guarantied balcony and keep my on board credit. I did do a dummy booking regularly and called. One time I was going to have to pay extra and lose my OBC. I finally ended up with a 1 (or2?) D center hump balcony. I haven't sailed yet but the boards appear to indicate this a good cabin.

As others have posted you may need to call until you get the right answer. The knowledge is questionable on the other end of the line. I even had a rep try to convince me that when the brochure said 18 nights it really meant 18 days and 17 nights!