What can I expect from a free Travel Cruise Agent exactly?

HvySeezFcstr

Have been on one cruise and I did all the work involved, and now that I have four more cruises booked I am wondering if it would be easier to have a Travel Agent handle Everything, or almost everything, even on a drop and go cruise?

Do Travel Agents print Luggage tags and provide Tag Holders? Arrange for Parking and lodging? Obtain Visas or help with Visas? Print directions to the Cruise Terminal?

Do travel agents know of excellent excursions not sponsored by the Cruise Line?

Can a Travel Agent arrange for a mini tour of a Cruise Ship?

The last Cruise Agent office I stepped into didn't have any material on the popular Cruise Line I wanted to travel on, why is this? They suddenly became silent when I mentioned this Cruise LIne?

That depends, did you find making arrangement easy for you? Do you want to remain in control of your decisions and reservations. When using a TA, they pretty much just take the reservation for your cruise and any questions or situations that may arise, you need to go through them to get them to call the cruise line, and sometimes this is not done is a timely manner. A lot of times they don't plan your whole vacation, its up to you to find air and hotels and such. And maybe they aren't familiar with where you are cruising from and can't give you accurate information. Your posted questions can be done by you at your computer in a few minutes. I don't ever recall any TA arrange for parking, and for luggage tags, they haven't been sent by TA's in years. Directions to the cruise terminal can also be found on the cruise lines website, as well as your reservation. It seems that your questions are something that I would not be comfortable handing over to a TA, paid or not. Unless it is a very complicated over seas air and visiting foreign countries that would require visas. No the TA does not have any control of any activities on the ship, you need to inquire at the passenger service desk for any tours you might be interested in, because on that particular voyage they may or may not be available. You didn't say what cruise line or embarkation port you are interested in. But in my opinion, and only my opinion. with the internet, you are able to pinpoint the exact information you are looking for, whereas a TA might only have limited information to give you, and it may not even be correct. To start....Call the cruise line, ask questions, google the ports, read up on them...come back to Cruise Critic for that particular cruise line and ask MORE questions....

Typically a good TA will book your cruise, book anything else you want such a flights, hotels, etc. Some like ours will book private tours for us. They can run down visa requirements, followup with the cruise line in the documents if they are not e mailed to you and be your advocate if things go wrong.

Keith

My river cruise agent is definitely full service. Helps with flights, pre and post stays if I want them, airport transfers, etc.

Also, a high volume agent often has "pull" with cruise lines that we don't as individual bookers. For instance, I once booked a 4-day Pacific Northwest cruise that was chartered out. The cruise line offered to refund my money, but my agent was able to get me on a 7-day Alaskan cruise for the same price.

Roz

Typically a good TA will book your cruise, book anything else you want such a flights, hotels, etc. Some like ours will book private tours for us. They can run down visa requirements, followup with the cruise line in the documents if they are not e mailed to you and be your advocate if things go wrong.

Keith

Plus 1.

We use one of 3 TAs (each with pros and cons). At the bottom line, it comes down to problem fixing and commission sharing. Everything other than the cruise we do ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I worked with three online agencies, gave them two chances each. All blew it. Took payment...did nothing else, I had to watch for price drops, call them, and IF they got to the cruise line in a timely manner I still had a slim chance of getting them, but more times than not, they never got it. I had a called the TA for a question on my cruise to verify information, three days later, I got a inter office thread back with the one telling another one I had been "harassing" her and to take care of me. Another one has a $100 cancellation policy, if you cancel after booking, not associated with the cruise line. I had another one, where I told her what my criteria was, told me in no uncertain terms that "was impossible" I booked my own cruise, and took a screen shot of what I booked and sent it to them.

Since then, I have booked my own vacations, cruises, I book through the line, any questions or price drops I call myself, talk to the agent, and see what they can do for me. I can "talk up" my own loyalty to the line, as for air, I find a flight I want and book it at a price I can live with. As for hotels, I find one I like at a good price, IF I find a better hotel at a better price, I can self cancel and rebook the new one, and I can do that up until three days before I leave.

But that's just my take on it

Just because someone calls themselves a "travel agent" does not automatically make them knowledgeable on cruising.

Before our very first booking, I found these boards and read posts for about three weeks. Went to a brick and mortar TA and quickly discovered I already knew more than the TA.

Talk to your friends and neighbors who can recommend a good TA. Give them a call and ask them the same questions you posted.

Most any travel agent will book anything that brings them a commission: cruises, hotels, travel insurance, independent excursions, ship's excursions, and transfers. They are less likely to print luggage tags. Having an agent arrange for parking and visas is doubtful,unless these are commission sales, too, what do I know?

I would bet that many agents are frustrated by low commission sales and constant changes and cancellations by their customers. I found that travel agents did not appreciate my budget demands, they wanted to book me in expensive chichi hotels. Not my style at all. I do most of it myself, and am happy when a roll call member finds an appealing independent excursion.

First off I don't think you can expect anything from a TA. If they give you something that is a bonus.

Second, my TA does print luggage tags and provides plastic covers.

Third , we use a brick and mortar TA. I prefer that to a big box as I can walk in anytime and talk with her.

And finally some cruise lines, RC specifially, will not allow a transfer to a TA after booking is made. RC's deadline for transfer is 60 days.

First off I don't think you can expect anything from a TA. If they give you something that is a bonus.

Third , we use a brick and mortar TA. I prefer that to a big box as I can walk in anytime and talk with her.

And finally some cruise lines, RC specifially, will not allow a transfer to a TA after booking is made. RC's deadline for transfer is 60 days.

I absolutely expect things from my TA. Pre paid gratuities, specialty dinning vouchers, matching OBC. If these things and more are not included I go to the next online TA on our list..

I think it also depends on which country you are in and what budget you are working with. I haven’t seen a brick and mortar travel agent in many years here in America but my inlaws still use them in the UK. I have an acquaintance who will do full service TA cruise bookings but if you’re not spending in excess of $10k she’s not interested. She’s not booking you an inside on a Carnival 4 day and doing all the work for the very minimal commission she’s going to get on that.

I absolutely expect things from my TA. Pre paid gratuities, specialty dinning vouchers, matching OBC. If these things and more are not included I go to the next online TA on our list..

For some people that extra $25 or a bottle of wine doesn't cut the mustard if they don't do their job, like letting you know of price drops or any additional bookings associated with your vacation. BUT, its an individual thing, whats good for you, may not be good for me

We have yet to use a TA for a cruise, so can't offer much of a response. It would be kind of interesting and maybe even helpful to have a list of services to be expected from a "good", "better", & "best" TA. At least someone might know what questions to ask.

I'm finding your post confusing. What do you mean by a "big box"? Do you mean an online TA. Additionally, if RC doesn't permit transfers to a TA after booking, what is the 60 day deadline you reference?

My travel agent is a member of the Virtuoso network. She books my cruise and can usually but not always get some on board credit for us. She books most of my hotels, and I'm always offered free breakfast and sometimes additional amenities. I book my own domestic travel usually, and I will occasionally have her book my international flights, mostly to double check dates on overnight flights. All of her services are free.

I'm finding your post confusing. What do you mean by a "big box"? Do you mean an online TA. Additionally, if RC doesn't permit transfers to a TA after booking, what is the 60 day deadline you reference?

I am sorry for the confusion. I just re-read it myself and thought I wasn't clear.

Yes, I do mean online TA or even a big box. Our TA is located in our town. Just 5 minutes from my house. I don't have to travel to another city to talk to my TA.

I misspoke on the transfers. RC does permit transfers but must be made within 60 days of the booking. I don't know about other cruise lines but I would expect they have similar restrictions.

I am sorry for the confusion. I just re-read it myself and thought I wasn't clear.

Yes, I do mean online TA or even a big box. Our TA is located in our town. Just 5 minutes from my house. I don't have to travel to another city to talk to my TA.

I misspoke on the transfers. RC does permit transfers but must be made within 60 days of the booking. I don't know about other cruise lines but I would expect they have similar restrictions.

No problem whatsoever, and thanks!

I saw another thread refer to a "big box" TA. I finally kind of figured out what they were talking about. :o

A *good* TA is worth their weight in gold. My TA will book as much or as little as I want. I've booked my own oddball tours they have never heard of, and the TA will book the air and hotels at either end. They will book Cruises, hotels, air, transfers. Not specific to cruises, they will also arrange any services requested - restaurant reservations, tickets to special events (often working with a resort's guest services), private drivers, etc. They are basically a travel concierge. Dinner at an exclusive 5star restaurant, with a table overlooking the Med for your 25th Anniversary? Yup... a good TA will arrange that for you.

Stuck in an airport because your flight was delayed and you missed a connection? You TA can help with that...and usually more quickly that it will take you to get through the general 1-800# or the long line at the airport.

However, they make their money on commissions from hotels, airlines and cruiselines. All the extras they do to make your trip special are done with no compensation - except the hope of your repeat business. If all you want is a bargain, free this, discounts on that and OBC that comes out of the TAs commission. Or if you are constantly shopping around TAs for the best price, then I wouldn't expect the Concierge-level service that a great TA can offer.

A good choice is a local agent that is affiliated with larger organization... you get the personal service, backed by the more extensive resources of the larger org.

And moving your reservation from one agent that has done a lot work arranging your trip to another that may offer an extra $100 OBC? That's just a sh***y move.

Edited by mariavii

I think it also depends on which country you are in and what budget you are working with. I haven’t seen a brick and mortar travel agent in many years here in America but my inlaws still use them in the UK. I have an acquaintance who will do full service TA cruise bookings but if you’re not spending in excess of $10k she’s not interested. She’s not booking you an inside on a Carnival 4 day and doing all the work for the very minimal commission she’s going to get on that.

To each their own, but that seems shortsighted. A young client may only book a $500 trip today, but in a few years they may be booking the $10000 cruise. That was me... in 1995 my TA booked the $599 air/hotel weekend special to Rome and now she's booking my Viking Ocean cruise.