Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

The reporting of prices from the day before and after the non-refundable rate came out would suggest that RCI simply made the non-refundable rate the going rate and the refundable is extra. So it seems that already happened on day one.

Interesting. We may have just lucked out then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reporting of prices from the day before and after the non-refundable rate came out would suggest that RCI simply made the non-refundable rate the going rate and the refundable is extra. So it seems that already happened on day one.

When the Non-refundable program came out, I checked all of my booked cruises. Three of them took big price drops if I switched to the Non.

450 on one, 320.00 on the second, and 250.00 on the third. Plus each one I also picked up an extra 100.00 OBC.

The most I had to lose on each one was 200.00 to change sail dates/ships....though I have only had to do that once in all the cruises I have taken.

Past final payment....that's another story...and where you need insurance.

The math worked for me. ;) And once again...maybe does not work for others...but adds up for me IMHO.

All of this talk of refundable vs non will be moot soon when RCI either discontinues refundable altogether (like the booking rules outside of NA) or raises is so much very few opt for it.

Agree..the airlines have been doing it for years. Not a new issue for travel.

All of this talk of refundable vs non will be moot soon when RCI either discontinues refundable altogether (like the booking rules outside of NA) or raises is so much very few opt for it.

Yeah, even now, the difference for our cruise is $25 per person (including the extra OBC). Not worth it now, but if they jack up the price (or eliminate the refundable) for future cruises, we'll just wait to book or book elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't even consider a non-refundable .... I've never had to cancel a cruise .... But life happens .... and I don't want the hassle ... not worth the few $$'s difference to me personally.

Like you we have never cancelled a cruise so I view this differently. The refundable deposit is like an expensive insurance plan that only covers the lost cost of the deposit. From the prices I have seen we would have to cancel at least 1/2 of our cruises to break even on the up-charge for a refundable deposit.

I don't mind the NRD at all. I feel that if there wasn't a problem with so many people booking and cancelling at the last minute, Royal would not have instituted the policy. It is a company looking out for the bottom line. I don't book suites, so I do have the choice and choose the NRD option. I know up front that if I need to cancel, I lose $100/pp...again my choice to take the risk. Even booking suites, you also have a choice...book under the rules or choose to sail with another line. I do suspect most will CHOOSE to stay with Royal regardless of what they say on here. Besides, it won't be long before everyone has forgotten about the NRD debate because there will be the "final payment at 120 days" debate!;)

Hotels often do it, too. Some rental car companies do, too.

Agree...have also taken the reduced rate "pay up front" for cars and hotels.

And just try to get a lower fare with the airlines should the prices drop. :eek:;)

Can still do that with RCI cruises non-refundable up until final payment.

I hate it. I guess it works for RCCL, but it has stopped me from booking a cruise that is a few months out. I was debating between Sept 2018 and May 2019 for a med cruise and simply can't guarantee vacation time coordination just now. In the past I would book early and and feel good in the knowledge that I could cancel if plans didn't work out. 90% of the time plus it worked and we did not cancel. Now I waver and check all the different cruiselines and may book NCL for flexibililty, even though I may prefer RCCL. I am sure everyone is different but I find it discouraging to have to pay more (over 100$ p/p) so I won't book it at all for now. Probably a bad idea on my part as prices will possible go up, but I can't bring myself to pay higher... :(

What is to stop you booking a refundable rate (cruise costs a bit more) to secure a room, then 71 days out you cancel, then book a non refundable rate and save on the price.....?

What is to stop you booking a refundable rate (cruise costs a bit more) to secure a room, then 71 days out you cancel, then book a non refundable rate and save on the price.....?

That is an option, however, often times prices go up as time goes by on any one sailing due to filling up. I agree that options are good, and still see no issues with the option for NRD. Even if they went to only NRD, it would not be a big deal to me, if I have to cancel, it puts some onus on me, as opposed to the cruise taking the penalty (having to go and resell the room) because I had to change. I also buy travel insurance normally to cover myself.

Nothing you can do that- no guarantees that by that time the rate is better for non refundable than what you originally booked at.

That can be done, though the final payment date is 90 days for most cruises now. Remember that the price may have climbed enough that the non-refundable rate is higher at that point than the booked rate.

I had a cruise on Allure booked in a grand suite but had to cancel it. It was quite a hassle to do so and I lost 200.00 dollars . I'm suppose to get 300. dollars {some type of credit} back in Email form in about a month.

Moral of story is I will never book another grand suite.............................

I hate the nonrefundable deposit and have not booked one yet. If I see a cruise with a NRD that is a lot cheaper than the RD, I will just not book that cruise at all.

I might do it a few weeks prior to final, otherwise, not worth the risk. If you book very very early chances are that your refundable deposit will be as good as or better than later, non refundable deposits, so book early (doesn't apply to full suites but I don't usually book those).

Even if they went to only NRD, it would not be a big deal to me, if I have to cancel, it puts some onus on me, as opposed to the cruise taking the penalty (having to go and resell the room) because I had to change. I also buy travel insurance normally to cover myself.

It would be a big deal to me as I usually travel in a party of 4/5 and that is a lot of deposits to lose.

Also, I am not sure how travel insurance would reimburse you as the cruiseline is giving you a voucher for part of the 'lost' deposit. So would they still reimburse the full deposit if it was for a covered reason?

Has anyone had to make a claim on travel insurance with a NRD?

Grand Suites and Junior Suites are all sold out, and have been for weeks for my upcoming December Oasis cruise, which takes that choice away. Luckily I booked my JS very early...but last December I had to take a JS "guarantee" until something came up.

Wanna bet how many will "suddenly" become available just before final payment? :rolleyes:

Grand Suites and Junior Suites are all sold out, and have been for weeks for my upcoming December Oasis cruise, which takes that choice away. Luckily I booked my JS very early...but last December I had to take a JS "guarantee" until something came up.

Wanna bet how many will "suddenly" become available just before final payment? :rolleyes:

How many people are in your travel party? The NRD hurts families more than smaller parties such as singles and couples. So there are different perspectives.

I hate the nonrefundable deposit and have not booked one yet. If I see a cruise with a NRD that is a lot cheaper than the RD, I will just not book that cruise at all.

I might do it a few weeks prior to final, otherwise, not worth the risk. If you book very very early chances are that your refundable deposit will be as good as or better than later, non refundable deposits, so book early (doesn't apply to full suites but I don't usually book those).

I am the same... just won't book. Then it sends me off looking at Princess, Celebrity and NCL. Perhaps it is different for those who have decided to only sail with Royal. I guess RCCL has figured this out and perhaps more solid bookings makes sense to them at this point, but I am sure there are some losses as well. For anyone who wants to point out that this is my choice, I do realize that and don't fault others for the fact that it this point it seems to work for you :)

That can be done, though the final payment date is 90 days for most cruises now. Remember that the price may have climbed enough that the non-refundable rate is higher at that point than the booked rate.

Is it 90 days for 7 day cruises now? :o

You can do it with Southwest.

To an extent, yes. You won't actually get the money back (unless it's a refundable fare), but you'll get a credit for future use. That's better than most, but if you don't have plans to fly Southwest again in the future, that money could very well go to waste and expire.

You can do it with Southwest.

Interesting. Did not know that....but I am guessing they are in the minority? I fly mostly United, Delta, and Jet Blue. So Southwest will give you money back if the fare drops

below what you originally booked...all the way up until you fly?

Isn't Southwest one that you cannot pick a seat? If this is the one, the rare time we flew with them, I got called off to the side for a random security check with the DH having to board alone. Then when I finally got on board, we could not sit together. Or is that another airline? :confused:

Edited by island lady