Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

It does help fix one problem. There are a limited number of GS cabins on a ship and they sell out early. There were people who would book a GS on several different cruises far in advance and figure out later which one they actually want. Usually they would do this through NextCruise so they would pay very little deposit.

Now with mandatory NRD for GS that won't be happening and it will be easier to book a GS if you want one.

Totally agree. People would book suites and then cancel at the last minute. So I am happy now you cannot book one without the deposit being non refundable.

Given how some customers were booking multiple cruises with ZERO intension of purchasing them all I would have done the same thing if I were making decisions at RCCL. It's like a lot of things in life, a few ruin it for the rest of us.

Sent from my VS996 using Forums mobile app

Totally agree! Since I book a lot of cruises for Family, I have seen this happen multiple times - book a cruise or cruises to hold a suite and then before final cancel as they decided they could not go! So that is why non refundable happened.

I am so all about it. Make a decision and stick with it. If you cannot go, that is what travel insurance is for. We have been on 101 cruises and have never cancelled one yet. We don't stay in suites, but I still book with the non refundable deposit.

In the past we rarely if ever cancelled but we did change dates often. I liked the flexibility.

I read ( here) that folks would book many cabins or cruises and them decide what to take., Don't know of that is really the case or a myth. In any case, I am sure it will not go back to the old way and we'd better get used to it.

M

I completely get the non refundable deposits for suites and even flash fares promos occasionally. I prefer to have larger deposits and have flexibility.. I guess it's psychological, but it irritates me to pay about $200-$300 more per cabin and also get dinged on the OBC so I just don't book at all. I agree that Carnival has a more advantageous policy towards non refundable deposits in the rate protection. Carnival also seems to have a smaller difference between the 2 fares. I do realize it works for some and great if it's better for retirees, but for families and couples where 2 people are working and kids have school and part time jobs booking a year in advance (or a bit less) just doesn't seem realistic with this structure. I always thought cruise lines liked to encourage early booking, but with this and higher pricing early out rather than close to sailing, it doesn't seem so anymore.

I completely get the non refundable deposits for suites and even flash fares promos occasionally. I prefer to have larger deposits and have flexibility.. I guess it's psychological, but it irritates me to pay about $200-$300 more per cabin and also get dinged on the OBC so I just don't book at all. I agree that Carnival has a more advantageous policy towards non refundable deposits in the rate protection. Carnival also seems to have a smaller difference between the 2 fares. I do realize it works for some and great if it's better for retirees, but for families and couples where 2 people are working and kids have school and part time jobs booking a year in advance (or a bit less) just doesn't seem realistic with this structure. I always thought cruise lines liked to encourage early booking, but with this and higher pricing early out rather than close to sailing, it doesn't seem so anymore.

Then book balconies at a refundable deposit and you are fine. They did this with suites for the reasons explained. People would book, hold suites (that others may want) and then cancel. So I totally get why they did it. Makes total sense to me.

You don't have a choice if you want to book a GS or above.

You do have a choice - pay the nrd or choose another line. I understand everybody would love lower rates and fully refundable, but unless it starts hurting their bottom line, it will not change. You have choices, you just may not like them.

This is interesting. So, I rarely cruise, but I do fly for a living and know just about every in and out of that side of things...I'm curious how many people who swear off non-refundable cruise deposits have no problem book non-refundable flights to get there? Not a criticism, just an observation.

This is interesting. So, I rarely cruise, but I do fly for a living and know just about every in and out of that side of things...I'm curious how many people who swear off non-refundable cruise deposits have no problem book non-refundable flights to get there? Not a criticism, just an observation.

I have to think that if this had always been the policy, you would not be seeing people complain all the time. It is different, so it must be bad.

#1 reason I fly Southwest for domestic flights, they are almost always cheapest in my area and you can cancel or change at the last min and not lose a dime.

I like the most flexibility possible, when spending my money.

Then book balconies at a refundable deposit and you are fine. They did this with suites for the reasons explained. People would book, hold suites (that others may want) and then cancel. So I totally get why they did it. Makes total sense to me.

These are 2 different things. I am talking about booking inside, OV, balcony and having a choice between non-refundable deposit (which comes with extra OBC), or refundable, (which does not offer the extra OBC) at a cost of an extra $300 per cruise which I priced on an inside. No issue for suites as there are less, so its understandable if this was an issue. I realize there is a choice, I just don't like it and find it annoying to have to pay more than its value. If I was closer to the sail date it wouldn't be an issue for me, but a year out or so is.

On another note, a benefit to booking early was that your deposit was refundable until final payment, in most cases. Of course when this changes in a negative way for the client, clients affected may not be happy with it. This is not air. I book air once I am sure I could go with the understanding of the restrictions, and yes, with travel insurance. Cruiselines have moved up FP dates, which is to their benefit, but understandable. This however is just an extra charge :-(

will NEVER book non-refundable again. We have never cancelled a cruise in over 40 cruises, but it has now happened. We had to cancel a grand suite on Symphony and knew upfront we would lose $100.00. Or rather, that was what I was told when we booked. It is $100.00 per person, ok, it is what it is. I was told within 3 weeks we would receive a certificate for the other $300.00 of our $500.00 deposit. Three weeks later I contacted Royal and was told it could be 3 to 5 weeks. I just called again today and now I was told the certificate was issued on January 30. I told them I never received a copy and was told I would not be getting one.

What I was told is when we want to book our next cruise use the confirmation number for Symphony and the certificate is in the notes. There will be $150.00 for DH and $150.00 for me. WAIT A MINUTE, what if DH does not want to go???? It was my credit card that was used to book the cruise. NOPE, he gets $150.00 credit and so do I. I do a lot of cruises with the ladies as DH is a once a year cruiser, so even though my credit card was charged $500.00 I cannot use the $300.00 to use as a deposit on a cruise.

Be very careful if you book with non-refundable, as I mentioned this is the first cruise we have ever had to cancel.

By the way, we had the choice of booking refundable or non-refundable, but since we have never had a problem before, we chose wrong. We book suites but have never booked more than the one we want to sail in.

Another note to add to this is that the FCC cannot be applied to a KSF promo if the FCC is in the child's name.

We learned this recently when we went from 2 cabins to a suite with our two girls. So hubby and one daughter got the FCC but I was only able to apply hubby's because my daughter was technically "sailing free" so the FCC can only be applied to a passenger paying a fare. And the FCC expires within a year of issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't see the problem with them offering the option - if it doesn't suit, pick the refundable option. And if it stops folk blocking out suites across a range of cruises till they decide which one suits them, then that's another bonus too.

Exactly this ^

Given how some customers were booking multiple cruises with ZERO intension of purchasing them all I would have done the same thing if I were making decisions at RCCL. It's like a lot of things in life, a few ruin it for the rest of us.

Sent from my VS996 using Forums mobile app

And this...totally agree. ^

Totally agree! Since I book a lot of cruises for Family, I have seen this happen multiple times - book a cruise or cruises to hold a suite and then before final cancel as they decided they could not go! So that is why non refundable happened.

I am so all about it. Make a decision and stick with it. If you cannot go, that is what travel insurance is for. We have been on 101 cruises and have never cancelled one yet. We don't stay in suites, but I still book with the non refundable deposit.

And this ^..very good point also!

Sometime not so easy. I have an existing medical condition that makes planning more than 6 month out very difficult. The medical insurance often will not cover the existing condition.

When diagnosed with my illness I had to cancel a cruise that was one month out - and the travel insurance did cover us. We had 3 other cruises for later in the year that had to be cancelled This was before the non refundable deposit ( and prior to final payment) so I was able to cancel and get all my money back. I cancelled fully as did not know my medical status or when I might be able to travel again.

Like you, I had years of cruise travel with rarely if ever any full cancellation.

Once I was able to travel again, we booked an upcoming cruise shortly after the non refundable deposit came out and we had to take the refundable rate. It was suggested to transfer to a non refundable rate prior to final payment but of course at that time, the cruise fare ( both refundable and non refundable) had substantially increased.

I've have recently booked a few cruises in the future, keeping my fingers crossed and consider the $100 pp non refundable portion " partial insurance". I say partial as I still can't get my money back prior to final payment date if I am not able to take that planned cruise- just able to change the sail date/ship etc. Not sure how far I can stretch a canceled deposit- but I hope I never need to find out. I have a new travel insurance that seems to cover existing conditions, but I hope I never need to test it.

M

Island Lady - wish CC had a like button. Totally agree with your last three posts. Noticed before that we think alike!

Gosh thanks...just "calls em as I sees em" ;)....and we like minded ladies need to cruise together sometime in the future again! :D

So far the refundable price for our 2019 cruise has tracked with what the "only" price was before the two options; the non-refundable is less. So, right now I'm fine with it.

If, as I suspect (and it already may be happening), the prices will creep up such that the non-refundable tracks with the historical "only" rate, and the refundable rate is higher, then I'll no longer be a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like to go where the bargains are so don't like to tie ourselves down with a non refundable fare.

Which is nice that RCI offers a choice. ;) And choice is a good thing. :)

Me ...I prefer the savings up front that are double what I would lose in the rare case

I would have to change my sail/ship date. But that's just my personal choice, and works for me.

Edited by island lady

If, as I suspect (and it already may be happening), the prices will creep up such that the non-refundable tracks with the historical "only" rate, and the refundable rate is higher, then I'll no longer be a fan.

The reporting of prices from the day before and after the non-refundable rate came out would suggest that RCI simply made the non-refundable rate the going rate and the refundable is extra. So it seems that already happened on day one.