Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

Interesting. Did not know that....but I am guessing they are in the minority? I fly mostly United, Delta, and Jet Blue.

Isn't Southwest one that you cannot pick a seat? If this is the one, the rare time we flew with them, I got called off to the side for a random security check with the DH having to board alone. Then when I finally got on board, we could not sit together. Or is that another airline? :confused:

Yes, Southwest has no assigned seating. Next time you go on Southwest, try not to look so suspicious.;p

How many people are in your travel party? The NRD hurts families more than smaller parties such as singles and couples. So there are different perspectives.

What has that got to do with my post? Confused. :confused:

I was talking about peeps (of any size traveling group) that book suites, with no real intention of actually keeping that cabin, which takes those out of circulation. Then they cancel with no penalty just before final payment. :o

Isn't that tough on families that want a cabin that will hold more than two people also? They can't book early and makes it tough to plan?

I hate the nonrefundable deposit and have not booked one yet. If I see a cruise with a NRD that is a lot cheaper than the RD, I will just not book that cruise at all.

).

Ditto. I’m looking at mid 2019 and NRD is substantially cheaper but too far out to take the risk. Instead of paying more for refundable I’m just not booking. I will book closer to final payment time; if costs then have climbed I just shop the competition. Someone always has a deal.

What is really annoying is the only prices advertised are NRD. Just smoke and mirrors. On Carnival I book refundable, it’s usually like $20 per person more, not a big deal. On Royal the difference has made an over 10% difference in cruise cost and that is not trivial, IMO

I think many book the non-refundable without reading the rules about possible cancellations. They see the price is lower and just book that. I can't tell you the number of times cruisers tell travel agents they want the cheapest price and if/when the agent explains the non-refundable, they either don't pay attention or feel they'll never cancel.

To me, it's kind of like buying cruise insurance. Many won't buy it because it's an extra cost, then find out for whatever reason they need to cancel the cruise and then complain about how unfair the cruise line is because they can't get their money back.

Even reading this thread it is obvious that one of the reasons for this change is that people were booking cabins, then changing their minds and the cabin had been out of inventory and now may have to have a lower price to sell it. Too many people did this with suites and so now, as with everything else, we all have to pay.

For those not in suites, it is up to you to read the fine print and not just look for the lowest price. Sometimes the cheapest is NOT the best price.

Additionally, I don't understand why someone would think if he/she booked a cruise for someone else that the money, if refunded, would go to the person whose credit card is used. It's kind of a catch22 in that who knows if the person in whose name the cruise is booked, paid the person using his/her credit card for the cruise? It only makes sense that the balance of the deposit would be used for the person in whose name the cruise is booked. Maybe that's something that should be addressed BEFORE booking. JMO.

Additionally, I don't understand why someone would think if he/she booked a cruise for someone else that the money, if refunded, would go to the person whose credit card is used. It's kind of a catch22 in that who knows if the person in whose name the cruise is booked, paid the person using his/her credit card for the cruise? It only makes sense that the balance of the deposit would be used for the person in whose name the cruise is booked. Maybe that's something that should be addressed BEFORE booking. JMO.

Maybe they assumed it was the same as the way Carnival handles cruise credit. It’s based on who paid for the cruise. Definitely have to read the T&C before plunking down funds,because each company handles things differently.

What has that got to do with my post? Confused. :confused:

I was talking about peeps (of any size traveling group) that book suites, with no real intention of actually keeping that cabin, which takes those out of circulation. Then they cancel with no penalty just before final payment. :o

Isn't that tough on families that want a cabin that will hold more than two people also? They can't book early and makes it tough to plan?

It wasn't clear you were only talking about full suites: you mentioned a JS a couple of times. :confused:

You seem very pro-NRD and I was just pointing out other perspectives, my point being that when larger parties are traveling, the NRD is more expensive to lose because there are more people, regardless of what cabin they are in.

To an extent, yes. You won't actually get the money back (unless it's a refundable fare), but you'll get a credit for future use. That's better than most, but if you don't have plans to fly Southwest again in the future, that money could very well go to waste and expire.

True, you can't have everything. It's still a nice feature.

I find that airlines change their schedules so much these days, that it's possible to rebook, or get a refund on upgrades like E+, or just flat out cancel if you need to; you just have to wait for the opportunity. I have 6 upcoming flight segments booked and 3 have changed: 2 time changes and one aircraft change. In all cases, I was able to either modify my seat (got an E+ refund) or change my scheduled flight to another time, or cancel completely, even if it was not the required 2 hours time difference. If you call and are pleasant you can usually be accommodated. I book early so there is more chance of a flight change than if you book last minute.

Isn't Southwest one that you cannot pick a seat? If this is the one, the rare time we flew with them, I got called off to the side for a random security check with the DH having to board alone. Then when I finally got on board, we could not sit together. Or is that another airline? :confused:

If DH didn’t have the manners to wait for you, the least he could have done was save you a seat. Granted, airlines are easier to change out than husbands , but I think your beef is more with DH than SW in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think many book the non-refundable without reading the rules about possible cancellations. They see the price is lower and just book that. I can't tell you the number of times cruisers tell travel agents they want the cheapest price and if/when the agent explains the non-refundable, they either don't pay attention or feel they'll never cancel.

To me, it's kind of like buying cruise insurance. Many won't buy it because it's an extra cost, then find out for whatever reason they need to cancel the cruise and then complain about how unfair the cruise line is because they can't get their money back.

Even reading this thread it is obvious that one of the reasons for this change is that people were booking cabins, then changing their minds and the cabin had been out of inventory and now may have to have a lower price to sell it. Too many people did this with suites and so now, as with everything else, we all have to pay.

For those not in suites, it is up to you to read the fine print and not just look for the lowest price. Sometimes the cheapest is NOT the best price.

We booked a Non refundable cruise when on Oasis a few weeks ago. They had a form with the non refundable rules printed, and a space for a signature and date. Can't but the cruise without signing the form indicating that you understand the non refundable rules.

M

If DH didn’t have the manners to wait for you, the least he could have done was save you a seat. Granted, airlines are easier to change out than husbands , but I think your beef is more with DH than SW in this instance.

I think it's also rare that one would be going through security with such little cushion that boarding is occurring whilst someone is still stuck at security, even with an additional screening involved.

I think it's also rare that one would be going through security with such little cushion that boarding is occurring whilst someone is still stuck at security, even with an additional screening involved.

They didn't say the random security check was the initial airport screening. They don't do it as often as they used to, but there is also random screening while boarding. I took the post to mean that is what happened.

Even if DH had remained with DW, that produces no guarantee that two adjacent seats would be available when they boarded.

What I find annoying is that people who prefer refundable deposits but who rarely, if ever cancel are penalized for the supposed bad behavior of others. If cancellations were truly a problem, penalize those abusing the system rather than those who simply prefer some flexibility.

What I find annoying is that people who prefer refundable deposits but who rarely, if ever cancel are penalized for the supposed bad behavior of others. If cancellations were truly a problem, penalize those abusing the system rather than those who simply prefer some flexibility.

One persons abuse of the systems is another persons flexibility.

Even if DH had remained with DW, that produces no guarantee that two adjacent seats would be available when they boarded.

Of course not, In a similar situation, I would have told DW that I was going ahead to get to seats together and when I boarded, I would have taken the middle and plopped my carry-on on the seat next to it.

Since we’re on the subject of airlines, carriers other than Southwest still offer fully refundable fares, they just cost so much more it seldom makes sense to book them. My fear is eventually the non-refundable deposit fares on cruises will become the “normal” fare as the price of the “old” fares will gradually creep further and further above NFR fares. Those who regularly buy decent insurance won’t care much because it will be covered one way or another; but, eventually, they will be paying for the cost of NFR cancellations in the form of higher premiums, whether they cancel or not.

I don’t think there’s much we as cruisers can do to prevent this eventuality, but someday there may be a cruise line that services the same niche that Southwest serves: refundable fares, but be sure to check in early so you board early to get a good cabin.

Of course not, In a similar situation, I would have told DW that I was going ahead to get to seats together and when I boarded, I would have taken the middle and plopped my carry-on on the seat next to it.

And, what will you do if another passenger insists you move your carry-on?

Since we’re on the subject of airlines, carriers other than Southwest still offer fully refundable fares, they just cost so much more it seldom makes sense to book them. My fear is eventually the non-refundable deposit fares on cruises will become the “normal” fare as the price of the “old” fares will gradually creep further and further above NFR fares. Those who regularly buy decent insurance won’t care much because it will be covered one way or another; but, eventually, they will be paying for the cost of NFR cancellations in the form of higher premiums, whether they cancel or not.

I don’t think there’s much we as cruisers can do to prevent this eventuality, but someday there may be a cruise line that services the same niche that Southwest serves: refundable fares, but be sure to check in early so you board early to get a good cabin.

You do know you can buy cancellation insurance for airfares?

I wouldn't even consider a non-refundable .... I've never had to cancel a cruise .... But life happens .... and I don't want the hassle ... not worth the few $$'s difference to me personally.

JUST FYI

its not the cruise that is non refundable --it is just the deposit BEFORE final payment

once you pay final payment and buy the insurance your cruise is fully refundable for covered

Another slap in the face from RCCL... don't book a cruise unless you are absolutely certain nothing in your family. job or finances change or you are out your deposit. I believe most of us who frequently cruise know to ensure all of the options you want with your trip to book early. The other problem it leaves us is if the cost of the cruise goes down you won't be able to take advantage... the last time we made a change to lower the cost they cancelled the original booking and created a new one at the lower cost... so now does that mean to make a change to lower cost you'll lose your initial deposit?!!! 👊🏻 Duck!

And, what will you do if another passenger insists you move your carry-on?

You do know you can buy cancellation insurance for airfares?

“Sorry that seat is taken” If he/she escalated further I’ll tell him/her to go get a steward/ess if they have a problem with me saving a seat for my wife who checked in before them but was detained by security. Pretty sure airline personnel would side with me, if they had my wife had not shown up before them.

And, yes, since I’ve flown over 100,000 Miles each of the past four years, I’m aware that there is cancellation insurance and it runs significantly higher for what it is Vs what we typically pay for cruise insurance that includes airlifting by helo from the ship. That was my point: Because almost everyone books a non-refundable fare on planes, and many have their cancelations covered by insurance, the cruise industry will eventually follow that model (at least with deposits) and the cost we pay for vacation insurance (that I never pay for hotel/air travel) will rise significantly.

Another slap in the face from RCCL... don't book a cruise unless you are absolutely certain nothing in your family. job or finances change or you are out your deposit. I believe most of us who frequently cruise know to ensure all of the options you want with your trip to book early. The other problem it leaves us is if the cost of the cruise goes down you won't be able to take advantage... the last time we made a change to lower the cost they cancelled the original booking and created a new one at the lower cost... so now does that mean to make a change to lower cost you'll lose your initial deposit?!!! Duck!

You should be able to get the vast majority of price drops without cancelling and rebooking.

“Sorry that seat is taken” If he/she escalated further I’ll tell him/her to go get a steward/ess if they have a problem with me saving a seat for my wife who checked in before them but was detained by security. Pretty sure airline personnel would side with me, if they had my wife had not shown up before them.

And, yes, since I’ve flown over 100,000 Miles each of the past four years, I’m aware that there is cancellation insurance and it runs significantly higher for what it is Vs what we typically pay for cruise insurance that includes airlifting by helo from the ship. That was my point: Because almost everyone books a non-refundable fare on planes, and many have their cancelations covered by insurance, the cruise industry will eventually follow that model (at least with deposits) and the cost we pay for vacation insurance (that I never pay for hotel/air travel) will rise significantly.

You’re too polite. I would tell them I have bad gas, stomach problems, just got over the flu and I slobber and snore when I sleep on planes. If they didn’t get the hint I’d ask them who they voted for.