Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

Is anyone else not getting an option for refundable deposit? Although I book the non-refundable option, I am no longer seeing the refundable option when looking at different cruises.:confused:

Yes, it was reported a few times this past weekend. I think one person reported changing browsers and being able to see the refundable option.

Is anyone else not getting an option for refundable deposit? Although I book the non-refundable option, I am no longer seeing the refundable option when looking at different cruises.:confused:

Yes I had the same problem. It's not the browser. They changed the way the bookings work now. If you select a room, it will price it out for you as nonrefundable. But if you're just checking out prices, the next part is a pain. So you need to fill in all the passenger info (fake is ok), then at the checkout, you can self a refundable option by adding more money.

The old way was definately easier but u think they're trying to drive everybody to nonrefundable by the looks of it. Hope this helps.

I really like that they added this.

It blocks the 'Cabin Hogs" from blocking rooms for a cruise they "might take". Then cancelling just before the final payment when prices are typically higher.

Cabin Hogs are no better than Chair Hogs IMO

Not a fan of non-refundable deposits.

I have always thought that the IDEA with a deposit was that it was non-refundable. I've never seen anything else in my own country.

Otherwise, why would they have them? They could just let people book.

The refundable deposit just ensures that the population with liquidity can book as many as they want.

I can verify that the old fully refundable rate is now the new non-refundable rate (at least, this is true for a cruise I booked last week). I just booked a cruise last week when you were able to see the refundable option for a JS. Today, the fully refundable rate option isn't even available (no option to select "refundable") and the rate showing for the same J3 aft JS balcony is the same exact price as the fully refundable rate was last week.

I have heard others complaining that they could not see the refundable option but this is the first time I have actually experienced that. Not sure where you have to go to get the fully refundable deposit fare anymore.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, non-refundable would not be my first choice in most cases. However, current interline rates, on a cruise I've been eyeing for October '19, were just too good to pass up. I'm confident enough in the date, but won't know for sure until December '18, when the district releases the next year's school calendar. #RollingTheDice

It does help fix one problem. There are a limited number of GS cabins on a ship and they sell out early. There were people who would book a GS on several different cruises far in advance and figure out later which one they actually want. Usually they would do this through NextCruise so they would pay very little deposit.

Now with mandatory NRD for GS that won't be happening and it will be easier to book a GS if you want one.

Yes yes.... we book GS and have already seen positive results with the NRD.

Some bookings in the past we had to wait list for a GS but since NRD went into effect, we have yet to have an issue booking a GS for our cruises. In the past, we had to wait until final payment came and went to get our GS and at a much inflated price.

You can thank those that booked and held these cabins on multiple cruises to use only one. These were used as place marker or place holding cruises. It seems to be working.

• 3 weeks later...

I would just like to confirm, if I pay my cruise in full, and later cancel, they will refund me all my money except the deposit, correct ( $1350)? Or whatever the penalty may be at that time, but lets assume it's within the period Where it's only the deposit.....and I would get a credit for the deposit, less $100 per person. So, a $1,050 RCI credit. Is that how it works?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would just like to confirm, if I pay my cruise in full, and later cancel, they will refund me all my money except the deposit, correct ( $1350)? Or whatever the penalty may be at that time, but lets assume it's within the period Where it's only the deposit.....and I would get a credit for the deposit, less $100 per person. So, a $1,050 RCI credit. Is that how it works?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This depends on if it is before final payment is due or after.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I hate it. I guess it works for RCCL, but it has stopped me from booking a cruise that is a few months out. I was debating between Sept 2018 and May 2019 for a med cruise and simply can't guarantee vacation time coordination just now. In the past I would book early and and feel good in the knowledge that I could cancel if plans didn't work out. 90% of the time plus it worked and we did not cancel. Now I waver and check all the different cruiselines and may book NCL for flexibililty, even though I may prefer RCCL. I am sure everyone is different but I find it discouraging to have to pay more (over 100$ p/p) so I won't book it at all for now. Probably a bad idea on my part as prices will possible go up, but I can't bring myself to pay higher... :(

I cannot see anyone liking it ,am I wrong ?

I cannot see anyone liking it ,am I wrong ?
I have no issue with it. I have a choice to save money but take some risk, it go save and pay more.

Everybody would love to have no risk and get owners suites for $100 for 7 days. In the end, at some point, you have to decide whether it is worth it to book or do something else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I have no issue with it. I have a choice to save money but take some risk, it go save and pay more.

Everybody would love to have no risk and get owners suites for $100 for 7 days. In the end, at some point, you have to decide whether it is worth it to book or do something else.

Same here.

The policy on GS and above have opened more up for booking.

And for lower level cabins, you have a CHOICE. RD and higher price or NRD and lower price.

Just like air fares. And now, hotels are doing the same.

Since I'm used to booking with Carnival's early saver fare, which is non-refundable (although some of it may be used as a credit toward another cruise) I have no issues with a non-refundable deposit especially if a refundable deposit option is available. The non-refundable deposit allowed me to book Anthem for $500 less than a comparable Carnival cruise, so yes, I'm happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Same here.

The policy on GS and above have opened more up for booking.

And for lower level cabins, you have a CHOICE. RD and higher price or NRD and lower price.

Just like air fares. And now, hotels are doing the same.

I am one who is glad that they provide choices for lower class of rooms like interior. Having no choice for those expensive rooms seems to have solved the problem. At least the Refundable is only 300-500 more.

Funny now Disney World is thinking of having deposits on Fast pass because too many folks reserve them and don't show up.

It's holding me back from not only jumping ship from ncl to rccl...it's holding me back from booking and I like to plan out way in advance...it making me consider the other lines as well

With a refundable deposit at the same rates I would have booked for the 6 of us weeks ago for April 2019

While I never have cancelled a cruise before I am hesitant to book with non refundable. Just my preference. Period

It's enough of a risk to buy non refundable airfare in advance so I don't need nor am I willing to take this same risk for a cruise that has many more cabins and beds on a typical ship than any plane has

Better chance I'll get a cabin on the ship and date I want than there is that I'll get 6 seats on the flight and airline I want

I'm risk adverse to buying both non refundable ship and air.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked a non refundable last year for a cruise this month. Worked out well as we are definitely going.

We have an upcoming cruise in December also, but we chose refundable since it’s Christmas time and we knew there’s a possibility we couldn’t keep reservation (will know for sure in September.) can definitely understand why they do it...for people like me who are not 100 percent sure. I get it.