Preorder Bottled Water gone??

anthonyy7

Just checked my personalizer and I still have a case of bottled water in my shopping cart...guess I should go and checkout.

We had 3 cases in our cart and I went to pay tonight and it said it was no longer available.

I ordered the water within the last month for our June sailing. it still shows as paid. I wanted to order some rum but it shows on the long list but is not on the order form. I called and they told me to just order from room service once on board. anyone done this and been successful.

The cost of the premium package is ridiculous. We are on a 10 day cruise starting on Feb. 18 and if we were to buy the package it would cost my husband and I about $1,400. INSANE! I guess we will be lugging on some bottled water.

Am I wrong in assuming that you can still buy bottled water on board at about two dollars or so a bottle?

:mad:

Since it is (was) an item that could only be purchased in advance and not onboard, they certainly better issue a refund in the form of payment used if (when) the decision is made to cancel existing orders.

Though I am sure that plenty of passengers who will never notice the removal from their personalizer and/or the refund to their credit card will be demanding OBC (or their water) once onboard. So maybe Princess will do nothing until you complain and keep the $6.90 from those who can't be bothered to remember that they ordered the water in the first place. :rolleyes:

(I checked all the links I know of to the gifts and services catalog and the water pack is completely gone. A rare case of Princess' IT department actually updating all the relevant pages...)

I would hope they would fill the orders that they have already taken. I ordered two cases a long time ago for my cruise that leaves less than two weeks from now. I still see it on my Personalizer as being paid. I also ordered two cases for my Alaska cruise thats coming up. Plus, I can't remember if it's one or two cases that I also ordered for my friends as part of their Christmas present. I will be super bummed. :mad:

This could also be the start of not allowing you to bring any drinks when boarding? No water, soda, juices, etc. like some of the other cruise lines? You have to purchase the PBP, S&MP, or each drink by itself. Hope it is just a price change.

History:

a. Princess has only had this pre-cruise bottled water package for a couple of years. Before that, you could only purchase bottled water on board, not pre-cruise.

b. Carnival implemented their policy of not allowing any carry-on beverage in bottles. No soda, no juice, no milk, no water. To compensate for not allowing bottled water to be brought onto the ship by passengers, they introduced a pre-cruise water package so passengers could buy bottled water at a very reasonable price.

c. Soon after, Princess introduced the pre-cruise bottled water package that has now been suddenly discontinued. At the time, it was speculated by some that this, like on Carnival, was an indication that meant soon there would be restrictions on passengers bringing bottled liquids on board Princess ships. No such restrictions did get made.

d. Princess has now discontinued the pre-purchase option for bottled water. Some speculate (in above posts) it means soon passengers will have the Carnival bottled liquids restrictions. My guess is it indicates Princess will not have those restrictions, but has found that the costs of stocking and distributing the pre-purchased bottled water was not worth it and has thus discontinued the option.

Added notes:

a) Carnival also does not allowed any bottled water to be brought onto the ships at ports on the itinerary. On a CCL cruise we were on there was a box for discarded water bottled right before the x-ray machine when reboarding the ship. It was often overflowing with bottles, many contain a significant amount of water.

b) Carnival also instituted a policy about when alcohol purchased in the onboard shops is given to the passengers at the end of the cruise. They used to deliver it the last evening of the cruise like Princess does. Now on Carnival it must be picked up by the passenger on disembarkation morning by joining a long line at a designated pickup spot. Just what everyone wants to do that morning. Also it means you cannot pack your bottles in your suitcases the night before so you must do so after retrieving your luggage on shore before going to the airport.

Edited by caribill

Have ordered our (mini) bottles of liquor just in case Princess decides to withdraw that option between now and 18 March! The removal of the water package has encouraged us to ordered more liquor than we were going to (six bottles :o) to avoid paying over the odds at the bars on board.

Will also make sure to buy our allotted two bottles of champagne from the Duty Free at Heathrow beforehand (unless that's going to be removed too?!). Will also remember to stock up on bottled water, soda and tonic water on the morning of the cruise. (We are taking an additional carry on for this purpose.) We are even going to take our own Orange Bitters and sugar syrup so we can make on Old Fashioned in the cabin. Looks like we'll be drinking more on our Caribe balcony this coming cruise :(

Putting aside whether people have ordered it earlier and will still get the water, I think the main issue here is the decision of Princess to withdraw the option of buying a 12 pack (like we always did). Frankly I think the decision is a disgrace and yet another nail in the coffin of Princess in my eyes.

Agreed. However if they want to withdraw it, so be it. Coupled with other cuts they have made, this seems just another nail in the cofifn. I do have to drink copious water because of a medical condition and after over 60 cruises, the b2b

this year will be our last.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Forums mobile app

Agreed. However if they want to withdraw it, so be it. Coupled with other cuts they have made, this seems just another nail in the cofifn. I do have to drink copious water because of a medical condition and after over 60 cruises, the b2b

this year will be our last.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Forums mobile app

First the coffee card debacle, now the water bottles. What next?

You are not the only person whose medical needs are being ignored by Princess. Having access to those small water bottles is a reasonable accommodation for anyone who needs the water. Our travel friends with whom we planned our upcoming British Isles trip are seriously considering calling Princess to cancel. Expecting a 75 year old man to haul 3-4 cases of water onto the ship is disgraceful, and what if Princess suddenly, without notice, decides no more water bottles, etc., like Carnival?

Time we all call and email Princess about their latest stupid decision. If the bean counters at Princess want to market a marginal cruise-travel product, then they can change "come back new" to"we're back, cheap" and see their demographic change.

Darcy

You are not the only person whose medical needs are being ignored by Princess.

I really don't understand how it's Princess' responsibility to cater to your medical needs. I'm fairly certain that if you have a specific medical need backed by a doctor's note, they will allow you to bring your own bottled water on board like they do for CPAP machines.

Rats! Just went to order mine. Is this a temporary situation?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, just another stupid, poorly thought out decision, to lower their standards of meeting the needs and desires of its clients by Princess.

We're looking at booking another cruise, back to Celebrity or Azamara, no more Princess.

Darcy

I really don't understand how it's Princess' responsibility to cater to your medical needs. I'm fairly certain that if you have a specific medical need backed by a doctor's note, they will allow you to bring your own bottled water on board like they do for CPAP machines.

It's called reasonable accommodation. Nobody is asking for Princess to CATER to anyone's medical needs, just to have the ability to have bottled water in the room.

Darcy

We take a couple of reusable empty water containers in our luggage. They are light and don't take up much space. Or we buy one onboard.

We fill them at bars, Horizon court (pouring from a clean cup) or in the cabin with our ice bucket and tap. The ship's water tastes good. We leave a full one in the cabin fridge to chill.

Then we don't create the waste of using disposable bottles, we don't carry on heavy cases of disposable bottles and we don't pay the on board per bottle price. The on board bottled water is not special water.

My guess would be that Princess is trying to cut back on the huge amount of waste produced by everyone ordering these disposable bottles. This is a common waste reduction measure at many businesses these days.