Cruise Director threads...why

cruiser123!

Hello.

I have run the CD list for 11 months now, and previously, Donna did a fantastic job on the list for 5 years.

Why?

Well, I like to know who the CD is. I have an interest in the entertainment and activities on the ship, and I simply like to know who I will get. Plus, it helps me see where my favorite and least favorite CD's are.

Some CD's have guests who love to sail with them. With the list, they can see their dates and book a cruise when they are onboard.

There are also CD's who one may have had a negative experience with, hence why reading the list would allow them to avoid sailing with them in the future. I can think of 1, possibly 2 CD's I have had who would fall in this category.

You'd be surprised how a cruise director can change a cruise!

The flying Scotsman.

Seven cruises he's the only one I remember. So much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Flying Scotsman? I think he works with Carnival. If that is who you are talking about, then he vlogs each week about his experiences as Cruise Director. Fun guy.

I have never based my cruised on who our CD will be but have been on a few cruises where I felt the CD wasn't that good but he/she had no affect on my overall enjoyment of the cruise. I do find it interesting to see who will be a CD for my cruises I guess because I am not as familiar with them as many others here are and I like to read others experience with CD's they have sailed with.

I think all of these 'who is the...?" threads aren't all that helpful. Crew - including officers - change frequently and just because staff is on a cruise a poster just returned from doesn't mean you will have the same staff when you cruise. So I don't put much stock into that aspect of this type of thread. On the other hand, you might glean (and remember possibly years later) enough information to be either very happy/very unhappy when you board and find out that certain members of the current crew have been praised/criticized on cruise critic.

i know this is a stupid quiestion so please don’t flame me, but why the concern for who is the cruise director? Do they get to decide which games/activities/etc are onboard or ?? I have only been on three cruises (none RCCL) and the activities were all the same....newlywed game etc. what am I missing?

Not a stupid question at all. We have been cruising for over forty years (more than 1000 days on cruise ships) and still have no interest in the CDs. On most lines they do not even have that much influence, but are primarily known as the "voice of the ship." While CD's have something to say about scheduling, much of what they do is dictated by home office policy and the ship's Hotel Director. And its the same with Captains. With the exception of 2 Captains that are friends, we could care less who is the Captain. Most of the time we do not even bother going to the various Captain's receptions since that often means standing in a line to get a lousy drink. Celebrity does have one Captain (Demitrius Kafetzis) who we will go see...but that is because he is truly a funny man (he would do a better job hosting a late night TV show then the current crop). Otherwise, we have heard enough of the usual speeches.

Hank

A good cruise director can make a cruise much more enjoyable. I can only remember two cruise directors. One was on Liberty of the Seas and he was very cheesy. He tried, but really missed the mark. The other was on my most recent cruise on the Vista. He was fantastic and really added to our cruising experience. While I would not book a cruise based on a cruise director, having a good one makes a difference.

i know this is a stupid quiestion so please don’t flame me, but why the concern for who is the cruise director? Do they get to decide which games/activities/etc are onboard or ?? I have only been on three cruises (none RCCL) and the activities were all the same....newlywed game etc. what am I missing?

I agree with you. It is the rare occasion that I ever see or hear the CD on a mass market line.