QM2 not what it is made out to be

chloe kitty

Picking up on sogne's message above (reference to https://martinandjansjourney.com ) I asked Martin, seeing that he and Jan have been on board for close on two months of their world cruise, to comment on the views and critique of QM2's journey so far regarding food and health of the passengers . For those who have not yet had the pleasure of reading his blog thus far his comments at https://wordpress.com/read/blogs/140491604/posts/130 on this subject puts the whole debate into perspective. Wonderful to have such a positive outlook on life. Value for money is what it is all about and that's what you definitely get with Cunard! :)

Regards, Brian

Picking up on sogne's message above (reference to https://martinandjansjourney.com ) I asked Martin, seeing that he and Jan have been on board for close on two months of their world cruise, to comment on the views and critique of QM2's journey so far regarding food and health of the passengers . For those who have not yet had the pleasure of reading his blog thus far his comments at https://wordpress.com/read/blogs/140491604/posts/130 on this subject puts the whole debate into perspective. Wonderful to have such a positive outlook on life. Value for money is what it is all about and that's what you definitely get with Cunard! :)

Regards, Brian

Glad there is at least one satisfied cruiser on board, interesting comment after leaving Cape Town about Australians and "whinging poms complaining about trivialities"

https://martinandjansjourney.com

#

in this fairly comprehensive blog of the current QM2 world cruise no mention is made about illness or coughing

Your second link didn't work for me, but try this one:

https://martinandjansjourney.com/2018/03/06/february-3-wellington-and-february-4-5-tauranga-and-current-cruise-critic-discussions-about-qm2/

Absolutely right. It worked for me until i rebooted then went to blank page. Thanks for correcting. The main one of course is the first link.

https://martinandjansjourney.com

#

in this fairly comprehensive blog of the current QM2 world cruise no mention is made about illness or coughing

I boarded in Cape Town and disembarked in Perth. Very sick ship. Everyone of 10 people at our dinner table was sick. Everyone around us was sick. In the theater many many people were sneezing, coughing, and blowing their noses. Yes, it was a sick ship.

I think you have hit on the "problem" exactly!! News reports make great noise about 200 passengers (or so) sick on a cruise ship -- disaster cruise, etc. My question is --why so few? Why do only 200 people out of maybe around 3000 onboard become sick?? What does it say about those 200 ? What does it say about the remaining 2800 who did not get sick.??[/quote

Usually when a breakout is reported in the news media, it refers to Noro virus, not the common cold or flu. Personal health does play a part, but I believe it is necessary to use Purell after touching menus, serving spoons, etc. We always use Airborne, a vitamin C mega dose, prior to boarding a cruise which either keeps us clear of becoming ill, or having a much milder reaction. When Noro is present on a ship, all serving utensils, salt and pepper shakers, etc are removed and serving is done by the staff in the buffets. This is probably why it does not go into the thousands that become ill.

These 2800 probably have an immune system that works well. Adding to it may be a well-balanced life with enough sleep, little stress, healthy nutrition, sports etc.

So, are you saying that most of the people on the Southampton to Cape Town and the Cape Town to Perth legs, were not vigilant about their health. Not so!

I am a fan of QM2 having done 2 TAs, but personally I sail on her for the experience. The people I meet on board, the sights on leaving New York and doing a couple of nights in town before embarking, and the fact that there is something special about doing a TA on a Cunard ship. But yes the food is terrible compared with other lines, the ship is not well maintained (for example the indoor pool area), and some of the staff are less than courteous. Yet I love it - go figure.

So, are you saying that most of the people on the Southampton to Cape Town and the Cape Town to Perth legs, were not vigilant about their health. Not so!

No, I am not saying this. In my opinion, most of the passengers have been in a good state of health since they were not affected.

Only 200 people means 200 people reported to the medical room and therefore became statistics. Many more may have been sick but opted to self medicate: probably a much higher number imo.

David

Only 200 people means 200 people reported to the medical room and therefore became statistics. Many more may have been sick but opted to self medicate: probably a much higher number imo.

David

Probably, but who knows? Still it is inappropriate to talk of a "sick ship". It should not be forgotten that it was just colds, bad cough and similar, and no noro virus.

Just spent 13 lovely days on QM2.

Is Cunard overrated - probably, there are just as many beautiful ships out there as Cunard offers.

But ...... QM2 is beautiful, luxurious, immaculately maintained and for a once off experience of an ‘ocean liner’ wonderful. Rides the waves like no other must add.

Is it worth twice the amount of other ships? When it doesn’t offer twice as much other than name? Personal judgement.

Nothing like returning to home port though .....

IMG_2986.thumb.jpg.82fb2b04977976347f5fb10b971de9a6.jpg

On to our next cruise [emoji568]

No, I am not saying this. In my opinion, most of the passengers have been in a good state of health since they were not affected.

Sick ship in the media is Noro virus, but this still was a sick ship, as most of the passengers were sick at some point. A cold, flu, etc is still sick. Yes, other better lines also have sick ships at times. No one is denying that. I realize that many of you are loyal to Cunard, no matter what, but it is FAR from the best cruise line out there.

Sick ship in the media is Noro virus, but this still was a sick ship, as most of the passengers were sick at some point. A cold, flu, etc is still sick. Yes, other better lines also have sick ships at times. No one is denying that. I realize that many of you are loyal to Cunard, no matter what, but it is FAR from the best cruise line out there.

So which is the cruise line out there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest SilverHengroen

I don’t think anyone has made the rather spurious claim that Cunard is the best line out there. To suggest that any line is objectively the best is, frankly, a bit of a nonsense as people value experiences differently as individuals. Cunard offer one of the nicer onboard ambiences, solid service with occasional glimmers of true excellence, in my experience food that ranges from good to excellent (YMMV, I am not particularly a ‘foodie’) and, yes, if you choose to travel QM2, the experience of a ship like no other. That Cunard does attract a loyal following just goes to show they must be doing something right.

How many passengers were sick? Do you have precise figures?

have you been following the blog from QM2 which seems to have a different perspective than you?

... I realize that many of you are loyal to Cunard, no matter what, but it is FAR from the best cruise line out there.
Count me in as "loyal to Cunard"... mainly because QM2 is so very far from "Vulgarity of the Seas", thank goodness :D .

Count me in as "loyal to Cunard"... mainly because QM2 is so very far from "Vulgarity of the Seas", thank goodness :D .

I always agreed with you, Pepper. The QM2 was the best ship I ever sailed upon. My husband and I sailed last Christmas and I have to tell you we were very disappointed. Something has changed. The food was one of the worst I ever experienced on any ship and i have sailed on many cruise ships over the years. As far as the QM2 being a sick ship, at Christmas time a horrible cough and cold seemed to be everywhere. Even the crew was ill. I cannot tell you the exact number of ill passengers, but after the third day I spent the entire cruise in my cabin. i am not certain if it was the flu but everywhere I turned passengers were coughing. I missed many dinners and did not disembark at any time until New York. My husband caught it from me but did not seem as debilitated as I was. We loved the QM2. The crew is the best, the service is wonderful, but it isn't what it used to be.

How many passengers were sick? Do you have precise figures?

Hi Cats2010, we just disembarked QM2 - fortunately very FEW coughing passengers on this ship [emoji6] so chloe kitty would be much relieved to know that her sick ship is now quite well.

Perhaps it’s the Aussie sunshine ☀️

Sent from my iPad using Forums