Bringing soda onboard question

GeorgiaMomof4

Carnival's policy states:

"A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

The carton thing is irrelevant.

Have a great cruise.

The "carton" means you can bring (non-alcoholic) beverages that come in a carton, like juice boxes, or boxed milk, etc. as long as it's 12 oz or less per carton. It does not refer to the box that a 12 pack comes in. It does not have to be in a can only...can or carton, no bottles. So the carton part is relevant.

The "carton" means you can bring (non-alcoholic) beverages that come in a carton, like juice boxes, or boxed milk, etc. as long as it's 12 oz or less per carton. It does not refer to the box that a 12 pack comes in. It does not have to be in a can only...can or carton, no bottles. So the carton part is relevant.

She was referring to the carton question that she was answering (the question referenced the outer carton the cans are packed in).

Tape up the handles was carrying two down the steps on the breeze by the pool someone ran into me the handles ripped down the steps they went and a couple burst open Great way to start a cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope you threw the little kid in the pool or overboard.

No problem mixing & matching & I wouldn't worry about taping up the cardboard carton too tightly - our neighbors had their carton opened and had to put it in a tote bag to carry the cans on board. Just don't put it in your checked luggage. Gotta carry on.

When we sailed from Baltimore they opened the carton and checked each can. They didn't care what type of soda was in the carton and they did retape the carton up for us. They also inspected our wine bottle seals pretty close.

When we sailed from Port Canaveral they didn't care at all. They didn't look at our cartons, they didn't look at our wine. It all just went through the scanner and the guy joked with my 6 year old about enojying all that wine one the cruise.

Two very different experiences, but bottom line - I followed the rules and they let my drinks on the ship!

There's no rule that says you have to have a carton. You can have up to 12 cans, which means you can have 11 also. This would imply 11 singles or an open carton. In other words, you're fine.

When we fly in for our cruises, we go to a convenience store or gas station the morning before the cruise and purchase our soda and wine. In our checked luggage for the flight before, we fill our carryon suitcase up with stuff we need for the night before the cruise at the hotel, and nest that suitcase in to the larger size for the flight. When we get to the hotel, we pull out the nested suitcase and use the suitcase it was in to walk to the store, purchase the soda and wine, stick it into the roller suitcase, and walk back to the hotel before getting picked up and transported to the port. Then when we get to our cabin, we remove the 12-packs, punch off the end perforation so the cans come out of one end, and stick the carton on the top shelf of the closet (the thin shelf) so they're out of the way and have easy access to stick a few in the fridge at a time. There's 3 of us, and the 3 12 packs fit side by side lengthwise into that shelf perfectly. Then we use the empty suitcase for souveniers or dirty laundry. Hope this makes sense to all other potential type As out there!

When we fly in for our cruises, we go to a convenience store or gas station the morning before the cruise and purchase our soda and wine. In our checked luggage for the flight before, we fill our carryon suitcase up with stuff we need for the night before the cruise at the hotel, and nest that suitcase in to the larger size for the flight. When we get to the hotel, we pull out the nested suitcase and use the suitcase it was in to walk to the store, purchase the soda and wine, stick it into the roller suitcase, and walk back to the hotel before getting picked up and transported to the port. Then when we get to our cabin, we remove the 12-packs, punch off the end perforation so the cans come out of one end, and stick the carton on the top shelf of the closet (the thin shelf) so they're out of the way and have easy access to stick a few in the fridge at a time. There's 3 of us, and the 3 12 packs fit side by side lengthwise into that shelf perfectly. Then we use the empty suitcase for souveniers or dirty laundry. Hope this makes sense to all other potential type As out there!

Whew. I got tired even reading about all of that, much less doing it. I go on a cruise to avoid work, and that sounds like a lot of work. I guess to each their own.

We brought a twelve pack of soda at Long Beach every time we cruise, 6 Cokes and 6 Brisk. We never had an issue with security. They just opened the collapsible cooler on inspecting. The steward fills the cooler with ice in the mornings so they're nice and cold. It seems that the fridge in the cabins don't cool as much

ETA: I always thought the cartons are too flimsy even if I just bring the sodas home. I would recommend to bring a plastic bag in case the carton gets ripped at security.

Edited by Ak4n3
edited to add

We brought a twelve pack of soda at Long Beach every time we cruise, 6 Cokes and 6 Brisk. We never had an issue with security. They just opened the collapsible cooler on inspecting. The steward fills the cooler with ice in the mornings so they're nice and cold. It seems that the fridge in the cabins don't cool as much

ETA: I always thought the cartons are too flimsy even if I just bring the sodas home. I would recommend to bring a plastic bag in case the carton gets ripped at security.

Thanks - usually I wrap the 12 pack in clear packing tape and even create a handle with it for easier carrying. But this has been on Princess, never tried bring soda onboard Carnival and I've heard their inspections can be more aggressive.

One more question for all of you Carnival cruisers.

We are going to bring sodas on and would like to split a 12 pack - 1/2 coke and 1/2 sprite.

Can we do that - and then tape it back or are they going to disassemble it and ask questions?

We aren't trying to smuggle anything - just like a variety of drinks.

Such problems.

Where do you stop to get the soda near Long Beach?

I live 30 mins away from the Port Long Beach and bring my own sodas. But there are stores like Vons and 7-11 at Ocean blvd I believe....I don’t think there are any convenience stores near the port though....

They will tear apart the carton, sometimes irreparably, sometimes not. When my husband and I cruised in October , I wanted to take a small amount so I took six diet and six non diet and put them in the carton and then into my rolling cooler. It’s good to have something else to carry them in in case they break. Also I carry on my sugar free Red Bull in single cans, depending on how many days , I only drink one a day every morning. I usually stick those in the pocket of my rolling cooler. They never said anything about me having twelve cans plus five or six cans of Red Bull. Most times they do not unzip the front of the cooler, I keep my Red Bull there and my corkscrew for wine. I have also never seen them question anyone who has more than twelve sodas. Quite often I carry the cooler on and the rest of my party is nowhere to be found when I go to the wine table to check my soda and wine. I often have two bottles of wine and two or three packs of canned soda. It is so crazy at the scanners that once we get past that, no one else wants to stop at the next table so we send them on ahead. Also when coming back from port, you can replenish your cans of soda and bring more. You also can bring back carnival water that you didn’t open or use in port. We often take ice cold bottles of our carnival water on shore but they don’t stay cold long and we bring them back . Just make sure your cooler fits through the scanner . I even have a cooler that folds flat with a liner that I have packed in my suitcase for port days. Sometimes the liner makes it , sometimes I end up leaving at home and just use the cooler .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went out of Galveston. Our soft drink boxes were never touched. *Correction* My wife informed me that one of our soda boxes was inspected but not damaged.

Future cruises we won't bring any since we left the majority.

Edited by tradosaurus

We've brought 12 pack of soda before, which were carefully opened and a few sodas replaced by beers. Then glued back. Never a problem.

I have heard stories that sometimes soda cartons were opened and inspected for contraband, but I don't think it is the norm. Maybe if they suspect the carton was tampered with, or it's Spring Break and you look like a college kid.

You're fine mixing sodas in the carton. To save yourself possible hassle, be extremely careful opening and resealing the carton, so they don't delay you at security.