Security photo for Sail pass?

jagsfan

Seriously? I've been kinda stressing out about getting acceptable pics of myself, my mother-in-law, my husband, and my 3, 4, and 6 year old sons... should we just wait and do it at boarding? I started our on-line check-in, but don't think I can print our passes without them. Will it really just add a few minutes to our boarding if we show up without them? Or, do I print them without our photos?

Absolutely. My Mom was just on anthem, entire checking process took just a few minutes, and they took their pictures right there with a little hand held device

What ships are currently using this check in process and do you think Symphony will also be available ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sailing on Adventure in April and they asked for photos during the check-in.

Seriously? I've been kinda stressing out about getting acceptable pics of myself, my mother-in-law, my husband, and my 3, 4, and 6 year old sons... should we just wait and do it at boarding? I started our on-line check-in, but don't think I can print our passes without them. Will it really just add a few minutes to our boarding if we show up without them? Or, do I print them without our photos?

Print the passes without submitting the photos. This is not a big issue and definitely not worth stressing over.

I printed my Sail passes without photos.

When life calms down a but I’m going to try to upload photos and reprint the Sail Passes.

Had no problem printing without, so don’t sweat it.

We weren't asked to upload photos for our upcoming Navigator cruise but we did have to upload them for our last Harmony cruise. Could it be because they now have our photos on file?

It is only done for certain ships and Navigator is not presently one of them.

Thanks for the input. At least I know what a USB cable is and where to plug it in! We’ll see how I do from there.

I know I can do it at check in, I just think it would be cool to try the new technology!

That's the spirit! Seriously.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

When Carnival scans your passport at check in they upload the photo to your Sail and Sign card, if the picture still looks like you. Makes it super easy and takes no extra time, since they have to scan the passport anyway at check in. I can upload my passport photo as I have it on my computer, but I don't have any suitable photos of my DH to use.

Serenade asked for our photos for our March sailing.

Was hoping to see a tech update on RCI’s website, but I know tech isn’t their strong suit. Just an update on which ships the app works on, which ships have the sea passes at stateroom, RFID bag tags, etc

Serenade asked for our photos for our March sailing.

Was hoping to see a tech update on RCI’s website, but I know tech isn’t their strong suit. Just an update on which ships the app works on, which ships have the sea passes at stateroom, RFID bag tags, etc

No more RFID bag tags. The system didn't work very well.

No more RFID bag tags. The system didn't work very well.

But they still sent me a notice that I should download their app before our cruise last week so I would be able to check on my bags' location and know when they have arrived at the cabin.:rolleyes:

Since it is not mandatory, I will continue to let them take my picture at the port. Maybe I’m old school, but I look at it as job security.

OK - so looks like only a "check-in-option" - not required. So what's the purpose other than proving a Sea-Pass vanity photo opportunity since approved security photos are taken when boarding?

OK - so looks like only a "check-in-option" - not required. So what's the purpose other than proving a Sea-Pass vanity photo opportunity since approved security photos are taken when boarding?

Supposed to save time by not requiring photos to be taken at check-in if the uploaded photo meets the face recognition requirements.

If you upload your own photo, there is no further picture-snapping at the pier.

If you upload your own photo, there is no further picture-snapping at the pier.

Thank You - understand your point. So when stepping onboard the ship those that have done the pre-cruise check-in photo upload to RCCL only needs to have their Sea-Pass card scanned with no photo snap by Ship Board Security. Those that have not done the upload must have both a photo taken & card scanned at the time of boarding. Since it only takes a second when boarding to snap the ID photo & scan the card -and- since passenger photos are only for security purposes and do not appear on the card - seems like a lot of extra work for RCCL with little passenger advantage. Or - did I miss something?

Thank You - understand your point. So when stepping onboard the ship those that have done the pre-cruise check-in photo upload to RCCL only needs to have their Sea-Pass card scanned with no photo snap by Ship Board Security. Those that have not done the upload must have both a photo taken & card scanned at the time of boarding. Since it only takes a second when boarding to snap the ID photo & scan the card -and- since passenger photos are only for security purposes and do not appear on the card - seems like a lot of extra work for RCCL with little passenger advantage. Or - did I miss something?

If you don't want to upload your own photo then don't. I didn't miss anything and the whole issue is no big deal.

Along the lines of what Seafish said, forgive me if I'm missing something here also, but I fail to understand the value - from a security standpoint - of these photos. Given the possibility that the photos may or may not be an accurate representation of how the person looks most recently, I'd still think they would need to rely on getting a photo at check-in. I'm assuming that when they scan the bar code on the set sail pass, these photos show up on their screen? Otherwise I see absolutely no value in them. Rather than having to compare whatever shows up on their screen with the actual person standing in front of them, isn't it just as easy to take everyone's picture - which, as some have pointed out - only takes a matter of seconds. AND, if there is no comparison done between the photo that was uploaded and the person, then in my mind it's a lapse rather than an enhancement of security. One step further....IF the uploaded photo does not even show up when they scan the set-sail pass barcode, then I'd really like someone to tell me what benefit they serve. From what people have said, some ships require it and some don't. Can you say 'inconsistency'? Gee...I feel so much safer already....

Edited by three4rd

Supposed to save time by not requiring photos to be taken at check-in if the uploaded photo meets the face recognition requirements.

Yeah but what about matching the face on the photo with the actual face standing in front of them? One interesting thing would be to know how large the uploaded photo appears when they scan the set-sail barcode.

Does your photo now appear on the sea pass card?

Edited by three4rd

When they scan your set sail document your photo comes up. If it doesn't look like the person standing in front of them I am quite sure they will react to the situation at hand. Heck, the photo on your passport could be close to 10 years old. I don't read multiple posts of people having issues with that.

Yeah but what about matching the face on the photo with the actual face standing in front of them? One interesting thing would be to know how large the uploaded photo appears when they scan the set-sail barcode.

Does your photo now appear on the sea pass card?

No it doesn't. The photo appears on a screen when the seapass is scanned.

Allure is not doing this as of now.

We are going on Allure in 2 weeks and they are now doing it! I just took a picture with my cell phone, emailed to myself, saved it and uploaded. Done, check!

Happy cruising!

Amanda

Good point about the passport photo which, as was indicated, could be (and probably is in many cases) several years old. I know your scanned sea pass card shows up on their screens when entering or leaving the ship. I was just thinking they'd want as current a pic as possible for the sea pass card. They have no control over a passport photo.