Haven = Bleh

BNBR

We were looking at the Haven for our next cruise, but this thread has made us seriously reconsider. We have sailed in the Haven before and had no issue with out of control kids, but apparently that is the luck of the draw. I have no problem with kids in the Haven, but I would have a problem with out of control kids. I do understand that NCL is geared towards families, but they also have to understand that the experiences described here would be unsettling to most adult cruisers. They obviously can't be all things to all people. So, as adult cruisers whose kids are grown, we will take our business elsewhere.

And you would not want to address any concerns with the vast Haven staff that you may encounter should you become uncomfortable for any reason? If I read your notes correcty you are willing to let your imagination go and assume that this will be a predicable disaster next time so Haven is out for the balance of your cruisng days?

We did suites on Norwegian years ago before the Haven concept came to be.

It took us about 11 minutes of reading reviews to decide the Haven was not for us. Too many reviews of kids being out of control, with parents that couldn't care less, or worse parents that would aggressively defend their children regardless of their behavior.

We booked MSC Yacht Club on Divina in 2016 and there were, I think, two kids and one baby in it.

We booked again this year on Seaside.

I'm a little nervous since the only recent sailing I could get was July, which will be prime kid season.

Hopefully, the kids in the YC will be better behaved, or take advantage of the other areas of the ship that would be more fun for them. I've never read of any out of control kids in MSC's YC.

The Haven is very expensive.

Too much of a gamble to book it, pay that amount of $$$ and be unhappy because of obnoxious kids and their parents.

RESEARCH!

We did suites on Norwegian years ago before the Haven concept came to be.

It took us about 11 minutes of reading reviews to decide the Haven was not for us. Too many reviews of kids being out of control, with parents that couldn't care less, or worse parents that would aggressively defend their children regardless of their behavior.

We booked MSC Yacht Club on Divina in 2016 and there were, I think, two kids and one baby in it.

We booked again this year on Seaside.

I'm a little nervous since the only recent sailing I could get was July, which will be prime kid season.

Hopefully, the kids in the YC will be better behaved, or take advantage of the other areas of the ship that would be more fun for them. I've never read of any out of control kids in MSC's YC.

The Haven is very expensive.

Too much of a gamble to book it, pay that amount of $$$ and be unhappy because of obnoxious kids and their parents.

RESEARCH!

Our YC experience was great. BUT we did have Octomom and her kids there run amok by the outside pool area on Divina. Luckily it was outside so noise wasn't really an issue. They didn't use the lounge much so that wasn't an issue. The kids did parade around the dining table at lunch and dinner and we saw them running away from the dads one day by the indoor pool. They were running up the steps.

So even there one extended family created a less than desirable experience for other guests.

Here is my opinion. Anyone who pays for the Haven age zero to 112 is entitled to use it.

But anyone misbehaving to the point as sunstantially disrupting someone else's cruise should be warned and if persists dealt with.

I do not mean people of all ages having fun, talking, laughing, playing, etc.

If I am at the Haven pool, or any pool, beach etc. and a little noise is annoying me I deal with it. Usually headphones and music. Or I might move.

Luckily, I have not experienced anything in my Haven trips to warrant asking for assistance with rowdy pax but I am sure it happens.

Unfortunately, we have come to be a society that has evolved with regards to behavior. I remember talking to my mother about this recently before she passed at 83 years of age. When she was young, people for the most part, behaved. They were considerate and were raised learning about those pesky things called manners. The next generation eased up a bit and some disregarded that philosophy. So, we became a society of rules. Rules posted everywhere. If someone broke a rule they were reported and shamed. That kept most people in line. Fast forward and the next group says "those rules are not meant for me", or "no one is watching", or "I'll take the chance"... and as more and more people followed suit the next progression was "F the rules" and "anyone who follows the rules or heaven forbid, tries to have the rules enforced is a tight-#ss and do-gooder". Put all of us on a cruise ship in tight proximity this is what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Haven is not an adults only quiet area. Its promoted as a family area to bring the kids (thus all the 2 bedroom suites in the Haven). I have sailed in the Haven and have seen hot tubs taken over by teenagers and kids using their toys in the pool. I call the Haven pool the rich kid swimming pool. But you know what? They are guests who have paid the same price as you. They are allowed to swim and dare I say splash in a pool. Its funny because the photo posted to portray an out of control Haven area could easily be a promotion photo for NCL's Haven. That photo is EXACTLY what they are looking for with their customers.

What is wrong with the Haven has nothing to do with kids but the outrageous prices. Are the facilities nice? Yes and worth it when you could grab a small Haven suite for $4k. But 10K for a cruise vacation is crazy considering what you get. I think some people are confusing the high prices with secluded and private areas. WRONG.

We will be sailing in the Haven aboard Jade for the first time on Monday. After reading this thread, I am hoping our luck holds out and it’s quiet. If not, we have a suite to fall back on. With all of the two bedroom family suites in the Haven, it’s obvious that it’s not adults only. Perhaps Haven is a misnomer?

For us, the private pool and sun deck are only a small part of the wonderful perks. I will report back on my experience. But I will say that I will speak to the concierge if things get out of hand. We have all paid a premium to enjoy the Haven, so we should all try to be considerate of others. It’s not a perfect world. We will try to make the best of it.

The Haven is not an adults only quiet area. Its promoted as a family area to bring the kids (thus all the 2 bedroom suites in the Haven). I have sailed in the Haven and have seen hot tubs taken over by teenagers and kids using their toys in the pool. I call the Haven pool the rich kid swimming pool. But you know what? They are guests who have paid the same price as you. They are allowed to swim and dare I say splash in a pool. Its funny because the photo posted to portray an out of control Haven area could easily be a promotion photo for NCL's Haven. That photo is EXACTLY what they are looking for with their customers.

What is wrong with the Haven has nothing to do with kids but the outrageous prices. Are the facilities nice? Yes and worth it when you could grab a small Haven suite for $4k. But 10K for a cruise vacation is crazy considering what you get. I think some people are confusing the high prices with secluded and private areas. WRONG.

Well said

[/color][/b]

Well said

If you think you are not getting secluded and private areas with The Haven, then I am pretty sure you have not booked a non Haven cabin and tried to integrate, let alone enjoy, for example, the general pool area on the BA/GA class ships, not to mention the people pile on in Spice H20.

If you like what NCL has to offer, and it offers a really nice experience for bars and dining options, and specialty dining venues and all kinds of shows, its much better liked with The Haven where you do have a separation from the masses with very, very attentive and specialized services.

Unless you don't really care for sun decks and in the sun activities, whihc would make the main pool decks along with the majority of the Haven Courtyard area, don't knock it til you've tried it.

And you would not want to address any concerns with the vast Haven staff that you may encounter should you become uncomfortable for any reason? If I read your notes correcty you are willing to let your imagination go and assume that this will be a predicable disaster next time so Haven is out for the balance of your cruisng days?

I think a big part of my concern is based on reports that Haven staff are often reluctant to confront and therefore upset the offending parents. I am not exactly letting my imagination go, I have been reading the posts in this thread. We actually might book the Haven at some point but it would be at a time less likely to attract families. For the cost involved, I would want to increase our odds of a peaceful vacation. Well behaved children are not a problem for us --- it's the out of control ones we worry about.

Unfortunately, we have come to be a society that has evolved with regards to behavior. I remember talking to my mother about this recently before she passed at 83 years of age. When she was young, people for the most part, behaved. They were considerate and were raised learning about those pesky things called manners. The next generation eased up a bit and some disregarded that philosophy. So, we became a society of rules. Rules posted everywhere. If someone broke a rule they were reported and shamed. That kept most people in line. Fast forward and the next group says "those rules are not meant for me", or "no one is watching", or "I'll take the chance"... and as more and more people followed suit the next progression was "F the rules" and "anyone who follows the rules or heaven forbid, tries to have the rules enforced is a tight-#ss and do-gooder". Put all of us on a cruise ship in tight proximity this is what we have.

Worse, parents now defend the misbehavior of their children because their children are always the exception. As is evidence by the fact that everyone comes out of the woodwork on CC to defend children any time someone on CC says that children should be treated different than adults. When discussing the loss of the freestyle deck on the NCL lines I even had one person attack me because people shouldn't be nude and that it was a family cruise line. Thus, no more freestyle deck.

As for the Haven -

Doesn't look like they are marketing it as a children's playground.

We will be sailing in the Haven aboard Jade for the first time on Monday. After reading this thread, I am hoping our luck holds out and it’s quiet. If not, we have a suite to fall back on. With all of the two bedroom family suites in the Haven, it’s obvious that it’s not adults only. Perhaps Haven is a misnomer?

For us, the private pool and sun deck are only a small part of the wonderful perks. I will report back on my experience. But I will say that I will speak to the concierge if things get out of hand. We have all paid a premium to enjoy the Haven, so we should all try to be considerate of others. It’s not a perfect world. We will try to make the best of it.

The Haven experience has been much different on jewel level ships as there are fewer rooms allowed to use it. There have to be about 30 or 40 rooms that can use the Haven on the newer, larger ships, We were on the Jade in April in one of the Garden Villa's and we rarely used the Haven pool since we had our own hot tub but occasionally I would bring kids in for a 20 minute period of swimming and playing. I am always present and watching to make sure they are behaving appropriately, but then I am a teacher so I have those kinds of expectations. Omar was our concierge and he would take care of an issue such as the one people have been complaining of. As a parent I would be embarrassed if I was scolded because my children were disruptive but I would not be angry or confrontational-its the parents fault that these kids are misbehaving and getting away with it.

I keep seeing other people complain about 3rd and 4th sail free but have NEVER gotten this deal because we travel

during peak times when school is out of session so that excuse is not the reason people bring kids into the Haven. Don't worry about the Jade, we were on it during NY's spring break and it was great. All of the perks outweigh a few splashing kids.

Worse, parents now defend the misbehavior of their children because their children are always the exception. As is evidence by the fact that everyone comes out of the woodwork on CC to defend children any time someone on CC says that children should be treated different than adults. When discussing the loss of the freestyle deck on the NCL lines I even had one person attack me because people shouldn't be nude and that it was a family cruise line. Thus, no more freestyle deck.

As for the Haven -

The reality is that people are not accountable, they do no wrong, their children who are riddled with issues (because they are failed parents) do no wrong, and it everyone else is the bad guy. It's filling the workplace and the overall life environment anywhere. Good Luck getting away from it.

( I once saw a lady on Celebrity on the main pool deck sound asleep on embarcation afternoon with the girls out in full regal display. That was about a hundred years ago...back then it was the 'European' thing to do.) There was a sundeck just for this purpose that was ignored.

Edited by MizDemeanor

As for the Haven -

True. They are marketing it exclusively to thin, beautiful young people. So.....

...and the guests move in slo-mo.

Seriously, look at how they move.:')

E4LWVkEl52k

And as clear as day, there are young couples, empty-nesters, families, etc..

I watched the video time and again. I didn’t see one middle aged gay couple. Clearly my husband and I aren’t allowed. Because if we were to go by marketing and only marketing, it’s obvious we aren’t allowed. I’m writing a letter.

Finding a quiet, relaxing place on a ship packed with thousands of people and 3 tiny pools... it’s just never gonna happen. Not even in the Haven. Been there, done that. If you’re looking for solitude, get off a ship. If you’re looking to rub shoulders with a million drunks... jump on board! I personally enjoy BOTH types of trips. Lol. But if you’re going to spend that kind of money looking for a relaxing trip you’re better off just finding an adults only resort.

Finding a quiet, relaxing place on a ship packed with thousands of people and 3 tiny pools... it’s just never gonna happen. Not even in the Haven. Been there, done that. If you’re looking for solitude, get off a ship. If you’re looking to rub shoulders with a million drunks... jump on board! I personally enjoy BOTH types of trips. Lol. But if you’re going to spend that kind of money looking for a relaxing trip you’re better off just finding an adults only resort.

Get a Haven Aft PH, not sure about the million drunks, the ship only holds so many....

Fake News.

As for the Haven -

Actually in the video there are kids in the pool...and oh my god...they look like they are playing......:eek::eek:... and honestly it looks like there is a dad just sitting there watching the kids in the pool.... just sayin....