Haven = Bleh

BNBR

Who would have thought? Maybe all the cheerleaders for the Haven are the same fools that show up with their 5 kids?

The Haven is essentially family harbor. Absolutely every single moment we have gone in, pool is loaded with kids. Splashing, screaming, snorkeling the hot tubs, you name it.

Sold a sanctuary, but apparently it's just an extension of the kids club. Definitely won't make that mistake again.

To anyone else who may be considering it.... If you are hoping for a quiet, relaxing courtyard like NCL portrays it... Buyer beware.

Small courtyard, at times 20+ small kids. Pool is unusable. They were loudly playing Marco Polo earlier. Every single group in here is with kids. Every single one. I think we would rather just sail in a regular room on royal and enjoy the solarium. Way better and no premium price. Even the Haven resturant, this morning was 75% young kids. Loud, obnoxious, etc. A total disaster. I have 2 young kids, I don't hate kids, but this is not what was expected when we left them home to enjoy a getaway.

You need to talk to the concierge about the hot tub issue and screaming. Keep on them about it, if they don’t address it go higher up. Trust me, it works. I travel with children in the haven but they are always respectful and quiet when others are around. My nephew once was not and the concierge spoke to him, I was glad. Do not wait until it’s too late, act now.

Whoa! Thanks for the update. I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the cost anyway. My surmise is that the Haven gets sold to anyone who pays the price and that certainly could include plenty of families.

My general impression over all of my NCL voyages is that there are relatively few youngsters on the cruise. I do remember one exception where some sort of "pirates' parade" seemed to have over 100 young folks participating. It seemed to impede my way to the Garden Cafe. :cool:

My ego says that if I pay the price for the Haven, it ought to be just like I want it...but that, of course, is setting me up for disappointment. I guess I'll save my bucks and stay out with the other "little people" like me.

Best,

MD

You need to talk to the concierge about the hot tub issue and screaming. Keep on them about it, if they don’t address it go higher up. Trust me, it works. I travel with children in the haven but they are always respectful and quiet when others are around. My nephew once was not and the concierge spoke to him, I was glad. Do not wait until it’s too late, act now.

Concierge isn't going to kick the kids out. It's not so much the screaming, it's the total takeover. Kids are being kids, it's understandable in a sense. But CLEARLY the Haven is a family area. Parents get to unwind on a lounger, drink service, and kids splash and play for hours in a contained area.

It didn't even occur to me to see if it was adults only. My fault I guess. But for people without kids, the Haven is a disaster, at least the courtyard aspect of it. Concierge is nice but not worth the hefty price.

Whoa! Thanks for the update. I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the cost anyway. My surmise is that the Haven gets sold to anyone who pays the price and that certainly could include plenty of families.

My general impression over all of my NCL voyages is that there are relatively few youngsters on the cruise. I do remember one exception where some sort of "pirates' parade" seemed to have over 100 young folks participating. It seemed to impede my way to the Garden Cafe. :cool:

My ego says that if I pay the price for the Haven, it ought to be just like I want it...but that, of course, is setting me up for disappointment. I guess I'll save my bucks and stay out with the other "little people" like me.

Best,

MD

It makes sense now.. Guests sail free. It's totally setup for this. Kids are free, basically. And really, just looking around, all the parents sitting in the Haven doing their thing with kids playing. It's an excellent kids/family area in that respect. But I don't think it's sold that way, that's for sure!

Concierge isn't going to kick the kids out. It's not so much the screaming, it's the total takeover. Kids are being kids, it's understandable in a sense. But CLEARLY the Haven is a family area. Parents get to unwind on a lounger, drink service, and kids splash and play for hours in a contained area.

It didn't even occur to me to see if it was adults only. My fault I guess. But for people without kids, the Haven is a disaster, at least the courtyard aspect of it. Concierge is nice but not worth the hefty price.

No, they won’t kick them out but they can talk to them. They should be controlling the haven, I’ve sailed in the haven 5 times and they will address them if you ask them to. Snorkeling in the hot tub is not even allowed.

They so need an adult only Haven. People are paying too much to not be able to enjoy it. We stayed in the Haven last cruise and didn't go to the lounge one time. I just don't have the patience to be around a bunch of screaming kids and parents thinking that it's ok for their kids to act like that. We're staying in the Haven again on the Bliss and I'm keeping my fingers cross that it won't be crawling with a lot of kids.I really want to enjoy it.

Suffer the children who come to the Haven - the Good Book Ver. 101

NCL this is not Disney - so much for the Haven but then this is business

as usual - no contract stipulations or restrictions noted to keep families

out of the Haven.

Only thing to do here is book when the kids are in school - or at least

some of them.

Or perhaps NCL should entertain some cruises that will be all adult ?

No good answer or solution here.

Suffer the children who come to the Haven - the Good Book Ver. 101

NCL this is not Disney - so much for the Haven but then this is business

as usual - no contract stipulations or restrictions noted to keep families

out of the Haven.

Only thing to do here is book when the kids are in school - or at least

some of them.

Or perhaps NCL should entertain some cruises that will be all adult ?

No good answer or solution here.

The Haven should be adults. Or the courtyard area 16+. Want to sail haven with kids for the nice rooms and what not? Sure. You just can't take your kid snorkeling in the hot tubs.

Thanks for the heads-up. Which ship were you on ? I had a Haven suite on the Gem and Breakaway. The Gem had a much smaller Haven area but was used by many less passengers. Felt much less crowded. Also did you cruise this last week which was Presidents week ? That would explain the large number of Children..

‘Tis the season...February break, spring break, etc. All areas are going to be overrun with kids. The Haven isn’t adults only, so yes, there will be kids. Those on my NYE sailing were actually well behaved and generally stuck to one hot tub, leaving the other for adults or those not in their group. I have a thirteen yr old who is very well behaved and actually found myself wishing the child free adults would take themselves to Posh and stop hogging all of the loungers in the courtyard. If you want an adults only area, head to Vibe/Posh.

I sailed in the Haven twice on the Breakaway. The first time was the third sailing in her first year in service. The Haven was exactly what I expected....quiet, relaxed, peaceful etc. with great service and a feeling of being pampered. The second time, approximately three years later, it was a nightmare. One huge family with probably more than 20 members (and tons of them children) literally made the Haven their own...tossing nerf balls, monopolizing the hot tubs and all the tables in the courtyard, and producing an unbelievable noise level. I did raise my concerns and disappointment with the head concierge (who we knew from our very first cruise on the Dawn) and his response was something akin to "it's difficult when there's a large group on board".

I have an NCL cruise booked on the Gem for 2019 but the Haven on any of their ships? Never again. Not for the price and the risk of what type of Haven will exist on any particular sailing.

Doesn’t look too bad to me. Is there a second hot tub? I’d plop myself down right in the middle...they’d eventually leave, not wanting to be around the weird adult!

My point exactly. You are the one the Haven clearly caters to. It's fine, I just wish it was advertsed that way and I wouldn't have wasted my money on it. Why should I have to go to the complimentary venue like Spice? What's the point of booking the haven?

Lesson learned. NCL isn't for me and that's ok. I prefer royal as they have the adults solarium, no premium price for it either. Thought this would be unique and better but definitely not.

Just kind of a warning to others who may have considered it. And maybe a nice notice to families that it's an excellent place to let your kids jump and splash around while you are pampered.

We didn't find it to be like that on Escape early December. 1 time there were some kids in the hot tub with my hubby and once I saw 5 or so playing in the pool. Our courtyard was a lovely oasis. Guess it just depends on your luck which does kind of suck when you're paying so much.

Small courtyard, at times 20+ small kids. Pool is unusable. They were loudly playing Marco Polo earlier. Every single group in here is with kids. Every single one. I think we would rather just sail in a regular room on royal and enjoy the solarium. Way better and no premium price. Even the Haven resturant, this morning was 75% young kids. Loud, obnoxious, etc. A total disaster. I have 2 young kids, I don't hate kids, but this is not what was expected when we left them home to enjoy a getaway.

We spoke to the concierge about the stupid Marco polo game and it was stopped and the children removed from the pool. Further the parents were spoken too when they could be found

I can feel your pain! Although we did not book the Haven the amount of young people on our cruise was very surprising for the second week of February. We found a very diverse passenger base on our cruise which was wonderful, but so many more children than we've experienced, even on Spring Break! I hope your enjoying your cruise, go see Jay at 5 O'clock Somewhere on the Waterfront. He will dull your pain!

I have sailed quite a few times in the Haven and have had similar experiences some of the time. That is why I pay an additional $130 for the VIBE access, after spending all that money on the Haven, it is a small amount for my sanity. I know it is just kids being kids, but the parents need to be responsible for their children. Allowing them to jump in the hot tubs is ridiculous. Isn't there a sign stating a certain age?

And this is why chartered takeovers are doing so well. The cruise industry is catering to families to the point of disregarding everyone else.

Sorry to hear that you expected the Haven to be someplace peaceful and quiet, but with the target of the Haven suite being multi-room suites and extra passenger space it pretty much markets itself to families.