Ice Skating Shows

HvySeezFcstr

While in the process of booking a cruise I noticed the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas has an excellent Ice Show.

Is the show on real ice? Do these type of shows move around from ship to ship, or can I expect it still to be on the Explorer of the Seas in future years?

What other ships have Ice Skating Shows?

The ice shows on RC ships are amazing. The ice rink is small, but real ice. The shows, costumes and skating are fantastic. Many feature skaters from all Europe, Canada and US, including former champions.

Ice shows are on the Oasis class, Voyageur class and Freedom class of ships.

You can also go skating. There are times for open skating. Skates are available at no charge and skating is also free. You do have to wear long pants and socks. Sessions last about an hour and are listed in the cruise compass.

Any other questions pertinent to RC may get a better response if you post on the designated RC board. Highly recommend the ice shows!

While in the process of booking a cruise I noticed the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas has an excellent Ice Show.

Is the show on real ice? Do these type of shows move around from ship to ship, or can I expect it still to be on the Explorer of the Seas in future years?

What other ships have Ice Skating Shows?

A google search yielded this:

Ice-skating shows

Royal Caribbean is the first and only cruise line with ice skating rinks right onboard Oasis-, Freedom-, and Voyager-class ships – and complimentary ice spectaculars featuring professional skaters that amaze with jumps, lifts, and spins.

You'll find more info about it on the RCI part of these boards. Honestly, we weren't overly impressed with the show in our ship. It was fine, but they fell probably 6-8 times during our show. Just our opinion of the show. Yes, I realize ice skaters can fall, but it seemed like more than normal during the show we saw. It was still fun to go see.

You'll find more info about it on the RCI part of these boards. Honestly, we weren't overly impressed with the show in our ship. It was fine, but they fell probably 6-8 times during our show. Just our opinion of the show. Yes, I realize ice skaters can fall, but it seemed like more than normal during the show we saw. It was still fun to go see.

You don't think the movement of the rink might have factored into the falling "more than normal"?

You don't think the movement of the rink might have factored into the falling "more than normal"?

I guess, although we didn't feel any movement that seemed to be much when we were in there. But people seem to feel these are championship level performers and shows. Again, I said it was OUR opinion.

I guess, although we didn't feel any movement that seemed to be much when we were in there. But people seem to feel these are championship level performers and shows. Again, I said it was OUR opinion.

Well, considering the rinks are smaller than normal, about 1/3 of the size on land AND the ship is not only moving forward, but sometimes pitching a bit it can take the performers some time to get accustomed to the sheet. So, if they were new to the ship I might expect that they will fall a bit more. The times we have gone to the shows the performers are introduced with where they are from and any skating awards they have earned. Many of them on the US National team as well as European national teams. Maybe we are just easily impressed :confused:

Not skating related, but on the cast of the Aqua-theatre w saw several of the performers with Olympic ring tattoos- those are only worn by athletes who have represented their country at the Olympics.

Well, considering the rinks are smaller than normal, about 1/3 of the size on land AND the ship is not only moving forward, but sometimes pitching a bit it can take the performers some time to get accustomed to the sheet. So, if they were new to the ship I might expect that they will fall a bit more. The times we have gone to the shows the performers are introduced with where they are from and any skating awards they have earned. Many of them on the US National team as well as European national teams. Maybe we are just easily impressed :confused:

Could be... They didn't introduce any champions or award winners on our cruise. Again, was just giving our opinion.

Rough seas can make an ice show interesting. I recall one show on Navigator that took place despite my thinking conditions were too rough. The skaters seemed remarkably unconcerned with the sudden movements. I, on the other hand, held my breath each time a skater left the ice convinced that broken bones might follow the landing.

The ice is real and very cold!

Anyone who doesn't think the skaters are really experts/champions/and great professionals needs to try going to open skate. I volunteered to take photos for friends, and they definitely know how to skate, they were truly amazed how difficult it was and could barely get away from the boards. Seas were just normal, but friends indicated they could feel the movement on the ice and just made balancing difficult.

My grandkids have skated on the Oasis, but they are young, play hockey, and skate better than most, but even they fell.

Have always heard skaters acknowledged with their name, home country and awards, usually at the end of the show.