Opinions on 3 cruise options: Horizon, Breeze, Sunshine

kwaltersmi

I'm curious to get others opinions and preferences for what we're considering.

We're looking at 1 of 3 possible cruises for early April 2019. We're a family of 5 (husband, wife, 3 daughters ages 7/14/16) and have cruised 3 times previously; 1 on Crown Princess, 1 on Victory, 1 on Vista. All were great cruises. We've always had balcony cabins and enjoyed them, but didn't necessarily use the balcony that often.

We have a 5-day upcoming cruise on Sensation in an interior - Yes, we know this will be a sardine can of a cabin for the five of us!

We enjoy the lido decks for sunning, dancing, swimming and at least 2 of our daughters really enjoy the water slides. We've been to (or will have after Sensation) all of the ports below except Curacao. Excursions aren't really a priority since we're usually happy to hang at the beach and spend an hour or so wandering the tourist shops/town. Of the three choices below, I think we're leaning towards Sunshine because it's the most total days and the best price if we stick with interior. However, I'm wondering if with 4 sea days we'll really want a balcony. One more caveat - My my retired mom and dad will be joining us (long-time Princess cruisers, never tried Carnival) and are most interested in Horizon because it's new. They're leery of Sunshine because of her age, though they know about the makeover.

Here's the options:

1) Horizon 6 day (Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman/Cozumel) w/ 2 OV cabins at $3672 up to Family Harbor Suite for $4,106.

2) Breeze 7 day (Amber Cove/St. Thomas/San Juan/Grand Turk) w/ 1 OV for $3,749 or 1 balcony & 1 interior for $4,289.

3) Sunshine 8 day (Aruba/Curacao/Amber Cove) w/ 1 interior for $3,422 or 1 balcony & 1 interior for $4,612.

What say you?

I’d go with the Breeze, balcony and interior cabin option. I haven’t been on any of the ships though I have the Breeze booked for October. My reasoning would be that your paying a premium for Horizon because of its age. In a couple years those prices will come down so I would wait on that ship.

The Breeze is newer than the Sunshine and gets much better reviews so that’s why I’d pick Breeze over Sunshine. Especially if your parents are used to higher end cruise lines. I think the Sunshine looks ugly with the way they added cabins at dry dock. My opinion.

I’d go with the two OV’s because we’ve cruised with our 3 sons when they were younger and it was always more relaxing and more of a vacation when they had their own space as in bathroom, tv....and my husband and I had some privacy.

Have a great time whatever your choice may be!

Just our opinion here.....We are NOT fans of Vista class ships (our LEAST favorite ship ever), so for starters, for many reasons, I would not choose the Horizon - a sister ship to Vista, even tho she is new.

Next, the itinerary on Sunshine is the best, plus it is 8 days. While Sunshine is an older ship (we were on her when she was called the Destiny...LOL), the ships are maintained so well, it is hard to tell (other than some more rust on the hull)once a ship starts sailing weekly filled to capacity. With all that being said, the Breeze is the nicest ship (décor and all) of the 3 to us. It all depends on if you are going strictly for price, or for ship or for itinerary?? They are all different in all 3 regards....so ultimately it is what you are personally looking for (ship?, price? or itinerary?).

I would choose the Breeze as well!

I agree with another poster who said the Vista was their least favorite ship. Felt the exact same way. Did not like the layout at all. It did have alot of bells and whistles, but we didn't have the time to really take advantage of them. I would imagine I would feel the same about the Horizon.

I haven't been on the Sunshine so can't comment on the ship. Had a good friend go on her in January and he didn't enjoy the layout and said it felt very crowded. But only three ports on an 8 day cruise? That seems like a lot of time to fill on the ship. We did an 8 day that had 4 ports and it was a good mix. But 8 days felt very long to me!

The Breeze is my favorite ship. It's beautiful and has plenty to do to keep people busy. The layout more closely resembles the Conquest class. And those are really good ports. I would also go with the balcony/interior option. 5 people need space!

I can only speak of the Breeze, sailed on it in October 2016 and sailing again in 2019 on it. We have family who has sailed both the Breeze and the Vista and prefer the Breeze due to it's layout and smaller size. I of course have never sailed the Sunshine so can't speak opinion toward that ship. I just know that we enjoyed the Breeze a lot, loved the layout and all it had to offer. I am looking forward to sailing the Breeze again in 2019, same ports you listed above. We have been to St. Thomas and absolutely love that port, all of the others will be new stops for us.

As for ports, I would not waste your money paying for less days on the Horizon when for a comparable cost you can get more sail days on one of the other 2 ships, plus the ports on the Horizon are not any of our favorites, guess that is another reason I give for the Breeze. :-)

Enjoy your cruise, whichever you choose! :-)

It's a tough call. In the end, it comes down to what kind of things are most important to YOU. The Breeze is a fan favorite as far as ships. The Horizon is going to give you the most bells and whistles. Personally, I wouldn't choose the Horizon on the basis of it being the shortest cruise and with only 3 ports. One of the first things I always look at is maximum days and minimum price. That Sunshine itinerary has too many sea days for me. There's nothing wrong with sea days, but I'd rather have more days at port.

You've cruised on the Vista...so you know the ship and the Horizon is a duplicate of her. Unlike the above posters...We found the Vista to be one of our most favorite ships...only 2nd to Breeze. We "hated" the Sunshine....and did not feel the makeover from Destiny did it any favors. Additionally we weren't a big fan of the Destiny (terrible flow). I would choose the Breeze. Better ports and 1 extra day over Vista.Like the Vista she has a walk around promenade deck with outside seating and restaurant seating (Red Frog) additionally there are hot tubs on the promenade deck on both sides. You have childeren and will find the waterpark very similar between Vista and Breeze. Definitely a step up from the Sunshines waterpark. Good luck with your decision!!

Great input so far, thanks!

We loved Vista and she's our favorite ship so far. We've also been on Victory, a sistership to Destiny (pre-makeover Sunshine) and enjoyed that ship too. I didn't find the flow, traffic, or crowding to be an issue on either.

Just looking at the Sunshine's deck plans, photos and reviews, I was thinking she would be similar to smaller Vista since it has a more subdued decor, RFB, Bonsai, JiJi's, Cucina, Havana Bar and 3 big waterslides. But this thread has me shifting towards Breeze...

Great input so far, thanks!

We loved Vista and she's our favorite ship so far. We've also been on Victory, a sistership to Destiny (pre-makeover Sunshine) and enjoyed that ship too. I didn't find the flow, traffic, or crowding to be an issue on either.

Just looking at the Sunshine's deck plans, photos and reviews, I was thinking she would be similar to smaller Vista since it has a more subdued decor, RFB, Bonsai, JiJi's, Cucina, Havana Bar and 3 big waterslides. But this thread has me shifting towards Breeze...

You also have to remember the Sunshine is over 100 ft shorter than Breeze and over 150 ft shorter than Vista and not as wide. Plus it does not have a outside walking promenade deck like the other 2 ships. I think you would like the Breeze...one of four Dream Class ships which are very popular

I'm curious to get others opinions and preferences for what we're considering.

We're looking at 1 of 3 possible cruises for early April 2019. We're a family of 5 (husband, wife, 3 daughters ages 7/14/16) and have cruised 3 times previously; 1 on Crown Princess, 1 on Victory, 1 on Vista. All were great cruises. We've always had balcony cabins and enjoyed them, but didn't necessarily use the balcony that often.

We have a 5-day upcoming cruise on Sensation in an interior - Yes, we know this will be a sardine can of a cabin for the five of us!

We enjoy the lido decks for sunning, dancing, swimming and at least 2 of our daughters really enjoy the water slides. We've been to (or will have after Sensation) all of the ports below except Curacao. Excursions aren't really a priority since we're usually happy to hang at the beach and spend an hour or so wandering the tourist shops/town. Of the three choices below, I think we're leaning towards Sunshine because it's the most total days and the best price if we stick with interior. However, I'm wondering if with 4 sea days we'll really want a balcony. One more caveat - My my retired mom and dad will be joining us (long-time Princess cruisers, never tried Carnival) and are most interested in Horizon because it's new. They're leery of Sunshine because of her age, though they know about the makeover.

Here's the options:

1) Horizon 6 day (Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman/Cozumel) w/ 2 OV cabins at $3672 up to Family Harbor Suite for $4,106.

2) Breeze 7 day (Amber Cove/St. Thomas/San Juan/Grand Turk) w/ 1 OV for $3,749 or 1 balcony & 1 interior for $4,289.

3) Sunshine 8 day (Aruba/Curacao/Amber Cove) w/ 1 interior for $3,422 or 1 balcony & 1 interior for $4,612.

What say you?

Based on what you have stated and reading a little bit into your activities I would say that the Breeze would be the best fit for you.

I say this mainly because of the ports:

Amber Cove - Easy to do a free/cheap pool/beach day activity and there are water slides there too.

St. Thomas - Magen's Bay (and others) via taxi - another low cost beach day

San Juan - Walk around OSJ, see the forts, free trolley available

Grand Turk - Another free beach day at the port

So plenty of sunning, funning, and swimming without breaking the bank.

Breeze has most of the things the Vista class ships do so plenty to do onboard too.

Your parents will be fine with Breeze over Sunshine.

Just my 2 cents

I switched from a balcony several years ago when we figured out what a waste of money it was. We were never out there enough to justify the higher cost. Oh, don’t get me wrong, it was nice having morning coffee out there, or a nightcap, but that still didn’t justify the higher cost. Especially now that we retired. I don’t think you will have any problems with a longer cruise in an inside cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another thought would be to book two inside cabins with a connecting door. Your children could stay in one, and you’d have more privacy in the other, PLUS you’d have TWO bathrooms!! A BIG bonus, if you ask me! This is what our children will be doing when they all sail with us for our 50th Anniversary. They found that as a cheaper option than a bigger suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks all, great feedback. We'll likely be booking Breeze this week. Now to determine which cabins...

If you are considering a balcony I would suggest looking at the cove balcony. It is closer to the water (deck 2) and much more private. It is cut into the hull of the ship. Since there are lifeboats above there is more shade. I absolutely loved it on the Dream. If you are looking at an oceanview cabin the Breeze has deluxe oceanview cabins which have an extra washroom in the cabin. No matter what cabins you choose I am certain you will have a great time!

I would choose the Horizon because it would make your parents the happiest and also look into getting them a Havana cabin which would let them have more of an upscale feel away from the crowds during the day. There are inside as well as lanai and balcony options.

We were a group of 36 people, 15 adults and 21 teens that sailed on the Sunshine last June and out of 15 cruises it was one of our best! All the negative stuff we read was just non existent. We've sailed on the Breeze and I honestly liked the Sunshine better. Some of the families were on deck 5 in Ocean views and they were so central to everything, we had an inside and a balcony on deck 7. We never had an issue the whole cruise finding deck space.....the food was amazing. The only one slightly negative would be the comedy club is rather small so you always have to be there ahead of show time. My husband and I are going on it again in 18 days to do Southern Caribbean.....I rarely repeat the same cruise ship so that says something!

We were a group of 36 people, 15 adults and 21 teens that sailed on the Sunshine last June and out of 15 cruises it was one of our best! All the negative stuff we read was just non existent. We've sailed on the Breeze and I honestly liked the Sunshine better. Some of the families were on deck 5 in Ocean views and they were so central to everything, we had an inside and a balcony on deck 7. We never had an issue the whole cruise finding deck space.....the food was amazing. The only one slightly negative would be the comedy club is rather small so you always have to be there ahead of show time. My husband and I are going on it again in 18 days to do Southern Caribbean.....I rarely repeat the same cruise ship so that says something!

According to OP..... He has chosen the Breeze.... Very smart choice. Best ship I've sailed on and I've cruised all three (actually 4)....including the Sunshine when she was the Destiny. Sunshine can't compete with the Breeze....No where close

We are booked on the Horizon in July. We are in an Aft Extended balcony Family Harbor (FO).

They are a new cabin catagory.

I am hoping as the reviews come in in April, they are favorable! Our family stayed in Aft-Balcony before and we love them.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi, curious to know which July sailing r u on? My family and I are on the 23. I too am waiting for actual reviews. Happy Cruisin'