Chops Grill

Hi Guys, I have booked some specialty restaurants on the Harmony, and I have come across something on the chops grill menu. I like a big steak and I noticed that against the 20oz Porterhouse steak, there is a price of $19. will I have to pay that additional charge even though I have booked and paid for the chops grill in advance ?. Thanks guys.

Hi Guys, I have booked some specialty restaurants on the Harmony, and I have come across something on the chops grill menu. I like a big steak and I noticed that against the 20oz Porterhouse steak, there is a price of $19. will I have to pay that additional charge even though I have booked and paid for the chops grill in advance ?. Thanks guys.

Yes that’s an up charge for bigger and better piece of meat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes that’s an up charge for bigger and better piece of meat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My god the cost of the restaurant was enough, without any up charge, this is just creed from royal Caribbean

My god the cost of the restaurant was enough, without any up charge, this is just creed from royal Caribbean

It may be, or it may be just what it is in terms of an additional charge for a larger than standard cut of meat. In either case, as with the specialty restaurant choice, it is optional to purchase.:)

My god the cost of the restaurant was enough, without any up charge

I've been where you're at! Sticker Shock;p Chops is a fantastic place to eat. I'm 6'1" 300lbs. and I'm full when I leave. The steaks that come with the $35 are very good. I was going to get lobster one time but at another $20 I said nope. Happy Sailing!!!!

I got the bone-in ribeye at Chops on Liberty. That was one of the best steaks I have ever had and there was no extra charge. I am from Texas so I hope I know a little about steaks and will get this every time I go.

It sounds like people really like Chops. I know it is a matter of personal opinion however, is Chops much better than the main dinning room (worth the upcharge)? I will be traveling on the Empress of the Seas. An older smaller ship.

Creed is on the ship!!! I loved them back in the day;p

Sorry couldn't resist, snow storm & wine.

Get the 16oz for no up charge, when you add sides it so much food.

not 'creed' [sic] at all. you would pay that and more for a similar sized cut at any better steak house on land. when you consider a standard serving size is 4 -5 ounces, a mere $19 extra for 4 times the dead cow is pretty good.

I have to say that if you want a large steak, without an additional charge in Chops, get the ribeye. Last July on Allure, we had dinner in Chops several nights. I was on the cruise with my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

The second night there, where we requested the same waiter as the first night, our waiter suggested to my son that he try the ribeye. He did so and loved it, so then, other than my granddaughter, on the other nights there, we tried it. It was HUGE.

I felt badly leaving more than half of it there, so when I went to Chops again, I ordered the filet, but the ribeye was more flavorful. I think the price of the specialty restaurants is high enough without adding additional charges for higher priced items.

I do have to say, that in January 2018, we went to Chops most nights on the cruise and on the lobster night in the MDR, I asked our waiter if lobster was available in Chops without an additional charge, and he said the tails were, so I had one with my steak. Perfect surf n turf.

I am going on Allure in June with the family and I know I will enjoy my meals at Chops, even though there are some who don't feel it's worth it.

There is no longer the upcharge steaks on the menu at Chops ( at least on Harmony and Allure). Those items have been replaced by an upcharge seafood tower.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

I've been where you're at! Sticker Shock;p Chops is a fantastic place to eat. I'm 6'1" 300lbs. and I'm full when I leave. The steaks that come with the $35 are very good. I was going to get lobster one time but at another $20 I said nope. Happy Sailing!!!!

I wish it was $35. Talk about sticker shock, on my upcoming Allure it's $49 + 18% grats.]

It sounds like people really like Chops. I know it is a matter of personal opinion however, is Chops much better than the main dinning room (worth the upcharge)? I will be traveling on the Empress of the Seas. An older smaller ship.

IMO generally it is, but I will also add that in our experience the level of quality has varied by ship.

We had a fabulous dinner at Chops the first time we sailed on Anthem (a couple of years ago), and then the worst meal of the cruise there two weeks ago, also on Anthem. I agree that the bone-in-ribeye is plenty big. Unfortunately, at least this time, it did not seem to be a very good piece of meat. Also, it was so overcooked (although I'd ordered it just past medium) that I could not cut it.

The Berkshire bacon appetizer was indeed the size of a small steak.

I hope our recent experience was just a one-off.

I didn't enjoy Chops at all. We just sailed on Ovation of the Seas and the restaurant had a horrible musty smell upon entering (I noticed this firstly when we toured the ship and then when we went for dinner there). We were seated no more than six inches from another couple - hardly a private, romantic meal! We could each hear what the other was saying and while we chatted to them, it wasn't what we had in mind. I could see how fast their meals were coming out - only about 5 minutes from starter to main so when I didn't like my starter (lobster bisque which tasted really awful after the lobster bisque the previous night in the MDR), the lovely waitress offered to get me another starter. The trouble was, I knew I'd then be eating that when the mains were coming out! I said no thanks.

Then onto the main which did come out very quickly! The menu said "sides to share" so I presumed they would serve 2. We ordered asparagus, potato and creamed spinach. Out came literally a tablespoon in each little bowl so clearly we couldn't share. We called over the waitress again and she bought out more but of course by that time we'd been sitting awhile and it really spoiled the night for me. We don't eat dessert or the bread rolls so for the money paid I was very disappointed to say the least. The atmosphere was zero, the speed of the meal was ridiculous and we were in and out within about 20 minutes.

I know this is not the experience others have but it left me really unhappy and I expressed as much on my ship survey. Thankfully we loved everything else about our cruise!!!!! :)

There is no longer the upcharge steaks on the menu at Chops ( at least on Harmony and Allure). Those items have been replaced by an upcharge seafood tower.

Ken, are the previous upcharge items gone completely, or are they part of the "included" menu now?

The upcharge “dry aged steaks” are completely gone.

Which probably is a good thing - IMO very overpriced on top of the surcharge. Maybe not a huge demand.

Who knows if this type of experience had anything to do with the change, but we cruised with friends a couple of years ago and he ordered the up charge dry aged steak which he felt was very sub par, and in his opinion not at all worth the expense. May have been just a bad stock on hand, but it was a disappointing experience overall.

This all sounds so disappointing looks like RC is failing in this area. we went on the Norwegian Epic last year, and their steak house was magnificent, I had a 20oz Tomohawk Steak with no up charge, and it was the best steak I have ever eaten.