Coastal Kitchen not my fav

I can understand your view. We ate there every night last month on our cruise on Allure OTS though. This was mainly because we love the setting and view and I am vegetarian. Being vegetarian I don't expect wildly interesting food on a cruise. I was happy with the CK. I think if you are staying in a suite and have a wide ranging palate that hitting some of the specialty restaurants makes sense.

I can understand your view. We ate there every night last month on our cruise on Allure OTS though. This was mainly because we love the setting and view and I am vegetarian. Being vegetarian I don't expect wildly interesting food on a cruise. I was happy with the CK. I think if you are staying in a suite and have a wide ranging palate that hitting some of the specialty restaurants makes sense.

Yes, I love the ambiance of it and the view but the food and menu is meh.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I've only done a junior suite once, so only had access to CK for dinner that one cruise. With the caveat that I've had stomach surgery and therefore don't eat much, the quality of food and service has far exceeded any other option I've experienced. (Thanks to Reuben, Kevin and K(ashmir) on Anthem. I would book a suite again in a heartbeat just for them. The ambiance, service and food can't be beat. IMHO

Lunch and breakfast are my faves. Filet is good on night 1, Lamb is good on 2nd formal, roast chicken with farro and peas is good.

Beer and wine at lunch is also a big plus, and if you eat late, beer and wine with dinner

Thanks for your input regarding CK...makes me happy that we don’t have to pay such a premium for suites after all....OVB is just right for us:)

Oh I will continue to book jr suites but not because of coastal kitchen. I loved the Jr suite we had on Harmony, the balcony, walking closet, shower and double C&A points were excellent. I also want to try a grand Suite But based on pics I think I wont like it as much as the Jr suite.

Am I the only one who could take or leave coastal kitchen. I could eat there once or twice on a 7 day cruise and that's enough. The menu is just ok to me. Seems like everyone loves it.

I am really glad you posted this. I really like eating in CK but it is not the end of the world if I couldn't get reservations. Quite a few posts on CC seem to make it out that it is a big deal.

If you are a vegetarian, the choice is very limited although they can order special meals.

I actually like breakfast and lunch in CK more than dinner. The breakfast for me is very special and worth booking a suite for. On last cruise on Allure, we had dinner in CK for 4 of the 7 nights but lunch and breakfast every day.

My experience of CK on Oasis and Allure over past few years is that the service is not first class but superior to MDR. The ambience is superior to MDR. Presentation of food served is superior to MDR. On the Anthem, I didn't believe CK offered anything better than the other restaurants but this was a few years ago. Might have changed since.

It does come down to personal preference. If you don't like the items on menu then you are not going to be that impressed.

As a comparison, Queen's Grill restaurant on QM2 is far superior to CK both in terms of food quality, choice and service.

Yes, I love the ambiance of it and the view but the food and menu is meh.

I agree with you. Location, Location, Location.

I sometimes wonder if it is made by some to be something better, because few people can dine there? I like the breakfast and will have to try the lunch next week. We typically eat one dinner there on the last night as it is a casual spot/way to wind down our cruise.

I agree with you. Location, Location, Location.

I sometimes wonder if it is made by some to be something better, because few people can dine there? I like the breakfast and will have to try the lunch next week. We typically eat one dinner there on the last night as it is a casual spot/way to wind down our cruise.

If you like seafood, the scallops with risotto at lunch was the best thing I ate on our last cruise.

We did a back to back with dinner access to CK The first week we ate there every evening to get a feel for the menu. Second week we only ate there two nights. There were several menu items we did not care for, and actually preferred the meal in the main dining room or at other dining venues.

The service was excellent and we were treated like royalty, even though we were just in a Junior suite. They told us on the second week we might have a problem getting a reservation because many more eligible CK folks were coming onto the ship. We only wanted to eat there a few nights the second week and had no problem getting seated the nights we wanted to dine there.

Interestingly, our cruise got extended three days because of bad weather in the region. CK rolled out their normal weekly menu at the beginning of the extra three days which would’ve been the third time for us. The dining room created a new menu for each of the extra three nights we were on board.

We have another back to back coming up shortly and will likely do coastal kitchen maybe three nights. We like to have a mix of CK, MDR and speciality.

Enjoy.

M

We did a back to back with dinner access to CK The first week we ate there every evening to get a feel for the menu. Second week we only ate there two nights. There were several menu items we did not care for, and actually preferred the meal in the main dining room or at other dining venues.

The service was excellent and we were treated like royalty, even though we were just in a Junior suite. They told us on the second week we might have a problem getting a reservation because many more eligible CK folks were coming onto the ship. We only wanted to eat there a few nights the second week and had no problem getting seated the nights we wanted to dine there.

Interestingly, our cruise got extended three days because of bad weather in the region. CK rolled out their normal weekly menu at the beginning of the extra three days which would’ve been the third time for us. The dining room created a new menu for each of the extra three nights we were on board.

We have another back to back coming up shortly and will likely do coastal kitchen maybe three nights. We like to have a mix of CK, MDR and speciality.

Enjoy.

M

Lamb chop night in MDR is pretty good. Used to be night 3, but it was night 6 in January

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

On Harmony last June we had an amazing experience in CK. We went the first night to check it out and the food was very good sit we were in a bit of a hurry and needed to get out to get to a show.

Then night 2 we went to the MDR to see if we would meat any interesting people at out table. We requested to sit at a large table with others. We got seated at a table for 4 and we are a group of 4. The food was a let down, we could never get drink refills and it took way too long.

Night 3 back to CK our server ( I am so mad I can’t remember her name ) remembered our drink orders and asked us if we were in a hurry again. We let her know we were not. When we were ready to order dessert, our DD wanted something with cinnamon. She didn’t know what, the joys of a 14 year old lol. We asked our server and she said she knew just the thing. Came back with the most amazing cupcakes.

Needless to say we were only going to eat in CK the rest of the week.

After it was impossible to find tables in the windjammer we started eating breakfast and lunch as well.

It is not the reason we cruse but it is a major perk for us and enjoy the food and more importantly the service.

IMG_2043.thumb.jpg.3f6b8a8c6000f503e4ca1941297102d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if it depends on the ship. We've sailed on Anthem twice, both times in a Spa JS, and so could have dinner in CK. The first time was on the inaugural transatlantic, in Nov. 2015. Back then, CK only had two menus, with a great deal of overlap between them. We thought the food and service were fabulous, but there was not enough variety to eat there more than a few nights on that 8-night cruise.

We were next on Anthem about two weeks ago, and were happy to see that the CK menu changed daily. Once again, we found the food and service to be awesome (far better than in Chops, for example). We had several dishes that were truly memorable, including the braised beef gnocchi, an appetizer that was so incredible I wish I'd ordered a large portion as an entree. We did not eat dinner every night at CK, but not because the food or service were lacking, but only because we just can't do a full sit-down "fine dining" meal every night. The Windjammer was a good option on those nights.

Lunch and breakfast are my faves. Filet is good on night 1, Lamb is good on 2nd formal, roast chicken with farro and peas is good.

Beer and wine at lunch is also a big plus, and if you eat late, beer and wine with dinner

Ditto to that!

Perhaps some would prefer the WJ as an alternate? IMHO..not a fan of the WJ on Oasis

We have tried the MDR, specialty restaurants..etc. But have had not so great experiences in all of those. CK works very well for us. :)